Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 06:20 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
I did not know that there is a hemp edible, only in CBD products. Maybe it is from the place you get yours?

I have other reasons I use it for besides sleep. Sometimes I use relaxing teas as I previously mentioned. Not all the time I have sleep issues either. And they also make a salve I use to help my other health issues.
I'm still confused about Hemp vs CBD. I've used CBD gummies, tincture and now capsule form. When I google the difference it's still not very clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 06:45 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I'm still confused about Hemp vs CBD. I've used CBD gummies, tincture and now capsule form. When I google the difference it's still not very clear.

Hemp is the entire plant. Hemp has low THC (the intoxicant) and higher cannabidiol (CBD) (not an intoxicant) CBD oil and hemp seed oil both come from hemp plants. CBD is extracted from the flowers leaves and stems. Hemp seed oil is extracted from the seeds.

Depending on your need you might use one or the other, they have different chemical profiles.

This article is pretty good at explaining

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...#hemp-seed-oil

Old 11-22-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Hemp is the entire plant. Hemp has low THC (the intoxicant) and higher cannabidiol (CBD) (not an intoxicant) CBD oil and hemp seed oil both come from hemp plants. CBD is extracted from the flowers leaves and stems. Hemp seed oil is extracted from the seeds.

Depending on your need you might use one or the other, they have different chemical profiles.

This article is pretty good at explaining

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...#hemp-seed-oil
Thanks! That helps immensely.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:59 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
I've suffered from fairly serious episodic insomnia throughout my entire adult life.

So I can likely help.

The first question would be if it's chronic or episodic. Chronic means that no matter what you cannot sleep every night, or it's COMPLETELY random. Episodic means that 'something' underlying is responsible. That 'something' could be many different things and even a factor that you are unaware of.

The other thing I would ask is if you're starting to sleep better now ... since posting this thread.

Sometimes daylight savings and the drastic weather change in fall can mess with our circadian rhythms. I just spent 7 days in the past 2 weeks not being able to sleep AT ALL.

Ambien is the only thing that is strong enough for me too. I've tried everything else, nothing else even comes close.

Once my body got adjusted to the change in weather and sunlight, I've been sleeping better this past week.

I also have strong anxiety related insomnia (upcoming interview, life events, etc).

Hang in there, I know how distressing it can be. The better you explain your situation and particulars, the more likely you are to find someone with the same problem who can help. People who have varying degrees of insomnia and they're really all different cases.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I've been using Ambien for over 30 years continuously and have no problems at all. My PCP who prescribes the medicine has no problem with me taking it long term since there have been no side effects.

I started taking Ambien in the 80s because I was doing a lot of international travel and I had a hard time not taking it once my travels were discontinued. I saw a sleep doctor who "was the best" sleep doctor who told me to stop taking Ambien for 3 weeks and I would have no problem. Worst 3 weeks of my life.
I went back to taking Ambien and haven't stopped, nor will I.
Ambien even in short doses (3-5 days in a row) has caused me health problems. It creates blood clotting, either the drug itself or the decreased sleep quality. I won't get into further details.

Taking ambien every day is a last option. Ambien sleep is OK, but it's not the equivalent of a good night's sleep.

The more your body becomes dependent on ambien, the less it will let you sleep without it.

But if you've managed for 30 years, then it's your new norm.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I've suffered from fairly serious episodic insomnia throughout my entire adult life.

So I can likely help.

The first question would be if it's chronic or episodic. Chronic means that no matter what you cannot sleep every night, or it's COMPLETELY random. Episodic means that 'something' underlying is responsible. That 'something' could be many different things and even a factor that you are unaware of.

The other thing I would ask is if you're starting to sleep better now ... since posting this thread.

Sometimes daylight savings and the drastic weather change in fall can mess with our circadian rhythms. I just spent 7 days in the past 2 weeks not being able to sleep AT ALL.

Ambien is the only thing that is strong enough for me too. I've tried everything else, nothing else even comes close.

Once my body got adjusted to the change in weather and sunlight, I've been sleeping better this past week.

I also have strong anxiety related insomnia (upcoming interview, life events, etc).

Hang in there, I know how distressing it can be. The better you explain your situation and particulars, the more likely you are to find someone with the same problem who can help. People who have varying degrees of insomnia and they're really all different cases.
Thank you - it really helps to know I’m not alone in this. Mine is completely episodic. Most of the time I fall asleep normally and sleep adequately. Then sometimes I just get this weird sensation like someone has given me a shot of a stimulant and my body just refuses to shut down. Ambien does the trick - I’m just trying to figure out why it does this and eliminate any cause or see if I can or find a non Rx solution.

Sorry you have these issues too - it’s really maddening at times and even though I’m retired I hate being groggy and unproductive when I don’t sleep - not to mention grumpy. My husband is a wonderful patient man thankfully.

This thread has helped me quite a bit. I’ve tried GABA which helps and I’m looking into a Fitbit or other wearable that will help me track my sleep. I'm also looking at the weighted blanket idea.

Last edited by Moonlady; 11-22-2020 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-22-2020, 09:08 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
have anyone look into hormone replacement,it helps

Old 11-22-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Thank you - it really helps to know I’m not alone in this. Mine is completely episodic. Most of the time I fall asleep normally and sleep adequately. Then sometimes I just get this weird sensation like someone has given me a shot of a stimulant and my body just refuses to shut down. Ambien does the trick - I’m just trying to figure out why it does this and eliminate any cause or see if I can or find a non Rx solution.

Sorry you have these issues too - it’s really maddening at times and even though I’m retired I hate being groggy and unproductive when I don’t sleep - not to mention grumpy. My husband is a wonderful patient man thankfully.

This thread has helped me quite a bit. I’ve tried GABA which helps and I’m looking into a Fitbit or other wearable that will help me track my sleep. I'm also looking at the weighted blanket idea.
Well, it is good news that it is episodic.

Because a lifetime of daily ambien seems rough. Like I said, it's given me some health problems when I take it several days in a row. When I take it one day a week or a month, no problems.

It is maddening. There's absolutely no reason why the brain should keep us from sleeping when sleep is what the brain wants most! But the brain can be illogical.

Sometimes, you just have to deal with it.

For this past weather/season related series, I tried everything ... Vitamin D, B6, melatonin, white noise, turning up the heat/humidity, turning down the heat/humidity.

Nothing worked except ambien.

Sometimes you just have to get through the episode.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:36 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,248,616 times
I can go to sleep fine but just can't sleep a solid 6 hours.

Old 11-22-2020, 04:00 PM

404 posts, read 380,936 times
You may have high cortisol. You can research ways to reduce cortisol or perhaps try to find a functional medical dr or naturapathic dr who will help you get your cortisol tested (and test some other things as well.) Regular dr's won't try to determine the root cause - they just prescribe sleeping pills (generalizing, but this has been my experience). You can also order your own tests online to check your cortisol. (Research this but I believe a 24 hour saliva test is what's recommended)

If you don't want to do that, research Phosphatidylserine. I started taking this a few months ago and I believe it has helped me fall asleep. I use Jarrow PS100.

Good luck! Not being able to fall asleep is no fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness