Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 10:22 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Dunno your age, but a man needs to start looking at these results c. 30s. I'm 53 and started having a standard panel of bloodwork done beginning in July, due to major elective surgery in August (getting ahead of it). Will have that done every three months for awhile. Hadn't had any in years prior. They are a GREAT idea, though.

And yes, as a result my ND has started me on a med and may or may not consider others. It's for my own good, I agree with her conclusions.

Yes again, we do have to make adjustments to our lifestyle at some point. I've made several due to the aforementioned elective surgery, thread(s) elsewhere. Either that, or die young. I'd prefer to live to annoy others until 80 or so, not that I get a "vote" per se but we can do the right things at-least.
You are one smart Cookie Good luck with your surgery.

I have something called a caseous mitral annul calcification, which is a mitral valve situation. It's rare and there is no protocol, so no one knows what is going to happen. I may not ever need surgery, but I'm like you - I keep my weight down, exercise, eat right and hope. Very good chance my mitral valve might outlive the rest of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 09:14 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You are one smart Cookie Good luck with your surgery.

I have something called a caseous mitral annul calcification, which is a mitral valve situation. It's rare and there is no protocol, so no one knows what is going to happen. I may not ever need surgery, but I'm like you - I keep my weight down, exercise, eat right and hope. Very good chance my mitral valve might outlive the rest of me.
Alleged Spartan curse: "May You Live Forever!" (300. Dir. Zack Snyder. Warner Bros., 2006. Film.)

That's a bummer, but eh: we play the cards we're dealt, I suppose.

I'm no saint, the major elective surgery was due to my own bad habits, trying to (finally) get ahead of it. But the vote of confidence is appreciated...

Yeah, I see bloodwork panels and sticking close to my ND as regular occurrences for as long as I want to live. The weight control, exercise, eating right, and a good dose of 'hope' are now part of my daily concerns, too, and that's best we can do!

Old 12-18-2020, 02:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
What are your triglycerides? And how old are you?

Old 12-18-2020, 05:36 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What are your triglycerides? And how old are you?
Who?

Old 12-18-2020, 06:16 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Default Human T-Cell Lymphotropic Virus (HTLV) Reactive/Confirmatory Test Negative

I received a "Human T-Cell Lymphotropic Virus (HTLV) Reactive/Confirmatory Test Negative" letter. It stated in relevant part:
Quote:
When we tested your blood for HTLV, we did a screening test which was reactive. Because of its extreme sensitivity, the screening test can be reactive in donors who have not been exposed to HTLV. Therefore a confirmatory test was performed which is much more specific. The confirmatory test done on your blood was NEGATIVE which means the screening test result was a false reactive.
The punch line of the letter: "Can I continue to donate blood? No. In keeping with Federal Regulations, individuals with these findings are asked not to donate in the future."

So this lovely letter is telling me that the test is probably wrong, but not to donate. Go figure.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:31 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It has saved me tons of money honey but not buying sex rex. It works when it wants 2 and not when i want it 2.
It’s got it’s own brain. Always has.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Who?
The OP. AKA you.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I received a "Human T-Cell Lymphotropic Virus (HTLV) Reactive/Confirmatory Test Negative" letter. It stated in relevant part:
The punch line of the letter: "Can I continue to donate blood? No. In keeping with Federal Regulations, individuals with these findings are asked not to donate in the future."

So this lovely letter is telling me that the test is probably wrong, but not to donate. Go figure.
Hey, I can't donate blood anymore because I lived in Germany in the early 1990s and I might have mad cow disease lurking somewhere. I mean, my gosh, that was 30 years ago, come on.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:32 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Quote:

Hey, I can't donate blood anymore because I lived in Germany in the early 1990s and I might have mad cow disease lurking somewhere. I mean, my gosh, that was 30 years ago, come on.
No wonder they whine about shortages of donated blood. Go figure.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
No wonder they whine about shortages of donated blood. Go figure.
Right!

And the really crazy thing is that for YEARS after I got back from Germany, I donated blood, and plasma, regularly. I have very "healthy" blood and a healthy constitution. Then I went in one day and they'd added that question about living in Europe in the 1990s and BAM - "No more donating for YOU!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness