Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 04:27 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosg View Post
Between amoxcillin, penicillin, ampicillin, and tetracycline, which antibiotic is most powerful when it comes to slashing sore throat virus/bacteria? Which one will do the best job as far as a sore throat goes? Are all created equal? Which one should people get if theyre starting to feel a sore throat??
They're prescription. You also get a culture done to find out which one. Can you name the bacteria? Sore throat is just a symptom usually caused by a virus like influenza, the cold coronavirus, or strep which can be either virus or bacteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 04:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
A sore throat caused by a virus doesn't respond to any antibiotic. And you can't just go buy one--you have to have a prescription. If you have a bacterial infection such as strep, a doctor can prescribe an antibiotic, but if you just have a simple viral cold or flu, antibiotics won't do a thing.

If you're starting to get a sore throat, I recommend extra zinc, echinacea, and vitamin C. (Vitamin D is very important for the immune system, but it takes a while to build up to a healthy level. Suddenly taking some when you're sick won't do a thing.) Drink a lot of hot tea, stay warm, and get plenty of rest and sleep. With any luck, you won't get a bacterial infection and won't need an antibiotic.
Amoxicillin is probably the "drug of choice" if you do have a strep infection of your throat. Most sore throats though are caused by a virus.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:31 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
What is Misc Amazon Comments?

Also, it's Dr. Tichenors, not Dr. Tichnors. Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Alcohol (70%), Peppermint Oil (1%). Inactive Ingredients: Arnica, Saccharum Carbonate, USP Purified Water.

It doesn't specify which type of alcohol, which makes me suspect and distrustful of it.
Misc is an abbreviation for Miscellaneous. I just pulled it up on Amazon and had time to copy and paste a few comments describing it's lethal strength. I am at work so can't scour things too much.

I am just giving my opinion and fondness for the product. No one else is required to agree of course. I don't know about the type of alcohol but it kick's my mouth's behind and for that I love it! Love the hard core stuff. No pain no gain.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:14 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Misc is an abbreviation for Miscellaneous. I just pulled it up on Amazon and had time to copy and paste a few comments describing it's lethal strength. I am at work so can't scour things too much.

I am just giving my opinion and fondness for the product. No one else is required to agree of course. I don't know about the type of alcohol but it kick's my mouth's behind and for that I love it! Love the hard core stuff. No pain no gain.
You -could- be causing irreversible damage to your throat, mouth, tongue, and teeth by not diluting it. You're basically gargling with peppermint flavored Everclear, at best. At worst, you're gargling with rubbing alcohol, which will absolutely eventually strip the enamel off your teeth, and cause ulcers in the back of your throat.

In addition, alcoholics *cannot* use that at all, ever, no matter what kind of alcohol is in it.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:27 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Quote:
You -could- be causing irreversible damage to your throat, mouth, tongue, and teeth by not diluting it. You're basically gargling with peppermint flavored Everclear, at best. At worst, you're gargling with rubbing alcohol, which will absolutely eventually strip the enamel off your teeth, and cause ulcers in the back of your throat.

In addition, alcoholics *cannot* use that at all, ever, no matter what kind of alcohol is in it.
I do actually have a routine. Once I use it, I rinse and then brush with regular toothpaste to get all the alcohol off. Really thoroughly. I don't leave that there. I use it to destroy bacteria which it obviously does or gives you that feeling that it has to be doing such a job.

I can certainly agree with and see your point. My dentist told me it messes up the biofilm in your mouth and said he has never had to lecture someone on overdoing the hygiene and said I was the first and he shook his head. He said that usually he has to constantly do the opposite.

I like the clean feeling. I can't help myself. Anyhow(s) I just wanted to make known an old fashioned product that has been used for years for sore throat issues.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:56 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santosg View Post
Between amoxcillin, penicillin, ampicillin, and tetracycline, which antibiotic is most powerful when it comes to slashing sore throat virus/bacteria? Which one will do the best job as far as a sore throat goes? Are all created equal? Which one should people get if theyre starting to feel a sore throat??

You 1st need to know what’s causing it....a virus or what type of bacteria....so go to your doctor. Antibiotics are not created equal....some grps have severe side effects & for different types of infection like skin, urinary or respiratory tract. You want the least powerful antibiotic that is still going to do the job because the more powerful it is, the more risk for severe side effects. How it works for you is going to depend on the dose & how your body reacts to it. Never take an antibiotic if it hasn’t been prescribed by your doctor AND you want to be sure it isn’t strep....the test is super easy & fast.

If it’s a virus, an antibiotic isn’t going to work..BUT a secondary bacterial infection can happen so some ppl may still be prescribed an antibiotic even for a viral infection that has hung on...or that was misdiagnosed.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:50 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
For what it's worth, grape seed extract has anti viral, bacterial, fungal properties and my mouth health is pretty darn GOOD and this 82 yr old mouth has done a lot of work. My gums are healthy and I've also cleaned up sugar intake and carbs....I do all to avoid antiobiotics...maybe 20 yrs ago I had a problem with a molar that had lost some filling, long story, and was given amoxicillan and all has been good since. Never ended up with dental work on molar.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:08 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
What is Misc Amazon Comments?

Also, it's Dr. Tichenors, not Dr. Tichnors. Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Alcohol (70%), Peppermint Oil (1%). Inactive Ingredients: Arnica, Saccharum Carbonate, USP Purified Water.

It doesn't specify which type of alcohol, which makes me suspect and distrustful of it.
Mouthwash alc is ethanol, plain and simple. Any other kind would do more harm than good to the user.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:20 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I do actually have a routine. Once I use it, I rinse and then brush with regular toothpaste to get all the alcohol off. Really thoroughly. I don't leave that there. I use it to destroy bacteria which it obviously does or gives you that feeling that it has to be doing such a job.

I can certainly agree with and see your point. My dentist told me it messes up the biofilm in your mouth and said he has never had to lecture someone on overdoing the hygiene and said I was the first and he shook his head. He said that usually he has to constantly do the opposite.

I like the clean feeling. I can't help myself. Anyhow(s) I just wanted to make known an old fashioned product that has been used for years for sore throat issues.
Your mouth NEEDS bacteria. Your mouth is SUPPOSED to have bacteria in it. Your body's natural bacteria is how your body fights off invasive bacteria from elsewhere.

You're basically stripping your mouth's natural immune system raw, and inviting predators in.

But you do you, boo.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:13 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Your mouth NEEDS bacteria. Your mouth is SUPPOSED to have bacteria in it. Your body's natural bacteria is how your body fights off invasive bacteria from elsewhere.

You're basically stripping your mouth's natural immune system raw, and inviting predators in.

But you do you, boo.
If there are serious issues at hand to be resolved, it may be the only option.

Example: Rampant caries in a mouth without so much as a speck of plaque. Brushes and flosses twice a day. Flosses. Cavities are caused by bacteria, as well.

Another example: On the flip side of the coin, you can find several videos of patients with 20 years of scale being removed from their teeth. What's the punchline? You never see cavities in these people's mouths.

So yes, BACTERIA can destroy beautiful teeth of a patient with textbook perfect habits. Absence of harmful bacteria can make decay all but impossible on even the most neglected teeth.

Drug use, and some prescription medications are known for decaying teeth, but absent those factors, the above remains true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness