Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 04:35 PM

57 posts, read 38,576 times

Advertisements

Between amoxcillin, penicillin, ampicillin, and tetracycline, which antibiotic is most powerful when it comes to slashing sore throat virus/bacteria? Which one will do the best job as far as a sore throat goes? Are all created equal? Which one should people get if theyre starting to feel a sore throat??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 04:59 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
A sore throat caused by a virus doesn't respond to any antibiotic. And you can't just go buy one--you have to have a prescription. If you have a bacterial infection such as strep, a doctor can prescribe an antibiotic, but if you just have a simple viral cold or flu, antibiotics won't do a thing.

If you're starting to get a sore throat, I recommend extra zinc, echinacea, and vitamin C. (Vitamin D is very important for the immune system, but it takes a while to build up to a healthy level. Suddenly taking some when you're sick won't do a thing.) Drink a lot of hot tea, stay warm, and get plenty of rest and sleep. With any luck, you won't get a bacterial infection and won't need an antibiotic.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:07 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
OP, call your doctor.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
A sore throat caused by a virus doesn't respond to any antibiotic. And you can't just go buy one--you have to have a prescription. If you have a bacterial infection such as strep, a doctor can prescribe an antibiotic, but if you just have a simple viral cold or flu, antibiotics won't do a thing.

If you're starting to get a sore throat, I recommend extra zinc, echinacea, and vitamin C. (Vitamin D is very important for the immune system, but it takes a while to build up to a healthy level. Suddenly taking some when you're sick won't do a thing.) Drink a lot of hot tea, stay warm, and get plenty of rest and sleep. With any luck, you won't get a bacterial infection and won't need an antibiotic.
Perfectly spoken, and when I think back over 25 yrs ago before I got on my "special" antioxidants, I had a sore throat all the time, never took abx drugs, worked with my issue and I would get well...and now it's over 25 yrs since a sore throat.....All the above what Sailbot said is true, abx drugs are asked for and handed out like candy. And if it's that horrible, see a doctor.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:18 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Depends what's CAUSING the sore throat. If you have a BACTERIAL infection, then the doctor should culture it, and pick the anti-biotic that will work on THAT SPECIFIC bacteria. If you have post-nasal drip causing it...then rinse your nose with saline and take a decongestant. Viral infections do NOT respond to antibiotics. Neither do allergy related issues.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:42 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
I've always been prescribed amoxicillin for strep throat. They can run a test for it but it has a very distinctive appearance you can find on a google search.

Mind you, strep throat is a serious infection (it can progress to scarlet fever, which can be life threatening), not just a "sore throat". If I have a regular "sore throat" its usually viral and goes away on it's own. In my experience, viral throat infections have very little pus compared to bacterial ones.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:18 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
As others mentioned, a test will tell you the root cause of your problem.
However, Dr. Tichnors. Straight up. Gargle a capful for 10 seconds and your sore throat and any other ailments will be history.

Read some of the comments on Amazon for the straight up on this. I am a hard core daily user. Love it! The comments will make you laugh.

I once had a friend at work ask me my dental routine. I told him about Dr. Tichnors. Of course my whole routine is pretty intense, but hey, one cavity in a lifetime along with a couple lectures by the dentist for the overkill (he never said it hadn't worked). But I told him if Dr. Tichnors didn't kill his bad breath, nothing can help him. Dr. Tichnors kills everything, sore throats, what have you.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:33 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Misc Amazon Comments (again, I prefer it non diluted - just kicks you in the hiney in a good way!)

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT WITHOUT CUTTING IT WITH WATER. This makes Listerine look like a small kick. You will feel this product working. It kills bad breath because it kills germs. And the feeling in your tongue, temporarily. Does what is says. Can't ask for more than that.

This stuff is potent. I'm not sure any germs could live through the rinsing this stuff gives your mouth. After using it mouth feels extra clean.

If you do not dilute this, it will get you.

Old 01-07-2021, 03:04 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Misc Amazon Comments (again, I prefer it non diluted - just kicks you in the hiney in a good way!)

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT WITHOUT CUTTING IT WITH WATER. This makes Listerine look like a small kick. You will feel this product working. It kills bad breath because it kills germs. And the feeling in your tongue, temporarily. Does what is says. Can't ask for more than that.

This stuff is potent. I'm not sure any germs could live through the rinsing this stuff gives your mouth. After using it mouth feels extra clean.

If you do not dilute this, it will get you.
What is Misc Amazon Comments?

Also, it's Dr. Tichenors, not Dr. Tichnors. Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Alcohol (70%), Peppermint Oil (1%). Inactive Ingredients: Arnica, Saccharum Carbonate, USP Purified Water.

It doesn't specify which type of alcohol, which makes me suspect and distrustful of it.

Old 01-07-2021, 04:17 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Bacterial infections - antibiotic
Viral infections - antiviral
Fungal infections - antifungal or antimycotic

Choose wisely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness