Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 07:14 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
How do you correct an authoritarian country with over 1 billion people whose government does whatever it wants? They seem to have come out way ahead of almost every other country in the world with covid. So why should they change?
Their way of living has killed people all over the world. That's why they should change. But you're right with today's attitude why should they care? Why should anyone wear a mask when it comes down to it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 07:20 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
LOL. The internet is packed full of false information.

Actually they are pretty much spot on. One big problem like they said is Covid over taxes your immune system. It causes many peoples bodies to overreact to it and cause secondary issues. Their point was a little off. Yes people are dying of Covid. But often its the reaction of our immune system to Covid that triggers more problems. And the fact that its new to people is one reason out bodies do not react to it properly.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Their way of living has killed people all over the world. That's why they should change. But you're right with today's attitude why should they care? Why should anyone wear a mask when it comes down to it ?
Officially they don't believe the pandemic is their fault. And China is looking out for China first. The proof is in the numbers. Assuming what China reports is somewhere close to real.

I wear a face shield or sometimes a N95 mask. I believe this is the best protection for myself. I am not doing it for humanity. If you are, good for you. We are in a dog eat dog world more than ever. Personally I am all about covid not killing me and my immediate family. That is my concern.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
How do you correct an authoritarian country with over 1 billion people whose government does whatever it wants? They seem to have come out way ahead of almost every other country in the world with covid. So why should they change?
Well, I for one don't believe a word coming out of China, so there's that.

But I agree - pressure or no pressure from the rest of the world seems to make zero difference one way or the other.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I for one don't believe a word coming out of China, so there's that.

But I agree - pressure or no pressure from the rest of the world seems to make zero difference one way or the other.

I have read reports that the numbers are easily 10 times what they claim. I started a thread a couple months back about the China numbers and my belief they have lied about them. So if its one million cases and not 80,000 its still not much compared to western countries. I don't think they could have numbers per million that compares to the USA or Europe and totally hide them.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:15 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Notice how so many virus seem to originate in China. For years now. Hong Kong flu, Bird Flu, Sars Virus and now Covid. The several times I have been there for my job. We were told not to drink the water, and brush our teeth with bottled water. The water has problems, the air is filthy there. The outdoor markets are definitely dirty. People had masks on there 20 years ago. I was not surprised last year at this time. That we were being told another virus that appears to have originated in China. When will the world learn. Go to the root of the problem and correct what's wrong. Or the problem keeps getting worse.
It's not just that the markets are outdoors. Much of the world has outdoor markets.

It's particularly that the Chinese nationals have a peculiar affection for eating all kinds of wild-caught, undomesticated animals, and keeping them alive until last-moment slaughter in close proximity with other foodstuffs.

I've heard other Asians say in derision, "The Chinese will eat anything!"

Old 01-30-2021, 01:53 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Forever is a long time, and most pandemics do not last forever. Looking to the future, as more people get both vaccinated and continue to social distance, the transmissibility of the virus (R0) will fall. What I will say next is somewhat simplistic, but as R0 falls, the percentage of the population that needs to be immunized to achieve herd immunity also decreases. So, for example, again in a simple model, if R0=2, 50% of the population has to be immunized, but if R0=1.2, then only about 17% of the population needs to be immunized.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I have read reports that the numbers are easily 10 times what they claim. I started a thread a couple months back about the China numbers and my belief they have lied about them. So if its one million cases and not 80,000 its still not much compared to western countries. I don't think they could have numbers per million that compares to the USA or Europe and totally hide them.
I totally think they can hide them - even if it's in plain sight so to speak, because for whatever reason I don't believe the western countries are demanding accountability from China for anything, including but not limited to COVID 19.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's not just that the markets are outdoors. Much of the world has outdoor markets.

It's particularly that the Chinese nationals have a peculiar affection for eating all kinds of wild-caught, undomesticated animals, and keeping them alive until last-moment slaughter in close proximity with other foodstuffs.

I've heard other Asians say in derision, "The Chinese will eat anything!"
This.

I know some people who went on vacation to China. Only vacation I ever heard of where the people came home weighing LESS. The wife said that she was put off the food almost immediately and just never came around - apparently the first thing she was offered when they landed was a bowl of soup - with a chicken foot floating in it.

My son lives in Guam, and there are lots of Chinese tourists there (or were, pre pandemic) and he has sent me photos of some of the foods that are catering to those Chinese tourists, including a package of what was called "chicken paws" - just plain ol' chicken feet. YUCK!

His wife is Korean and occasionally he'll message me and say "She's eating bugs again." One of her favorite snacks is silk worms - she eats them by the handful.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:24 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Quote:
There's nothing to correct. There are two ways to stop Covid. Find it early and quarantine the few cases and their contacts before it becomes widespread. The second is to identify clusters of cases and do a hard lockdown, not permitting commerce within and preventing traffic from entering and leaving the area. The US and Europe would have to catch it early to use the first approach. The second approach will never happen unless people are dropping in the streets.

US with its soft lockdowns seeks to just slow down the infection rate enough to allow the hospital system to treat them. It's not intended to end an outbreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness