Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 09:58 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Sorry to hear about your aunt. I don't get how a 90 yo in assisted living was not one of the first to get the vaccine. I have heard that anyone over 65 can go to Florida can get the vaccine. You don't have to live in Florida. And they don't ask for ID so you I guess you just have to look like you could be 65. Not really a fair rollout.
This was true for a while, isn't true any longer. You have to own property in Florida, even if you don't live there the majority of the time.

And they do ask for ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 10:56 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
18 months is how long it takes till everyone gets access to the vaccine. 2 to 3 years is more common. The mRNA vaccine authorization is emergency use and the product is in limited supply. Other vaccines are getting in 2nd or 3rd stage clinical trials.

The vaccine is ineffective against the S. Africa strain that's spreading fast. That's why the disease will be around for a long time like the common cold, influenza, or pneumonia. New strains will come out. Most strains will be mild for most people and deadly for the elderly. A few strains will be dangerous.

Strain on hospital systems is probably causing more deaths: shortage of oxygen

https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-br...1/01/08/oxygen
The bolded does not appear to be correct, as of a announcement made a couple of hours ago. Not with respect to Moderna which although it may be less effective appears to remain above an acceptable efficacy threshold.

Quote:
Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine protects against two variants of the coronavirus that have emerged from Britain and South Africa, according to a company study.

In a statement Monday, Moderna said the vaccine triggered an immune response to “all key emerging variants,” including B.1.1.7 and B.1.351, which were first identified in the U.K. and South Africa, respectively.

While the study showed no changes in immune response to the U.K. variant compared to the original coronavirus, the vaccine produced a weaker immune response to the South African variant.

Stéphane Bancel, chief executive officer of Moderna, said "out of an abundance of caution," the company is developing a booster dose of the COVID-19 vaccine that could combat the South African variant and future emerging ones. ...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/6698624002/

Both Pfizer and Moderna appear to work with full efficacy against B.1.1.7. Pfizer has not yet released data on its efficacy estimate about the South African variant. Adjustments to the mRNA vaccines can be made quickly and should be approved without extensive new trials. Its possible booster shots may be required in any case in about a year that could easily incorporate needed adjustments.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
No one claimed that cardiovascular disease WAS contagious. The point is that there are MANY things that can kill a person, yet you seldom hear anyone express concern about dying from cardiovascular disease even though statistically that's a greater threat to life and health than Covid.
My husband died a few months ago from a sudden, massive, totally unexpected heart attack. But hey, no COVID!

Old 01-25-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
That's where the science suggests that we are heading.

The longer people refuse to get vaccinated, the longer it will take to even reach that possibility!
Well, at least those people (me, me, me!) who are going to get vaccinated (eventually, I guess) probably won't get it so there's that consolation.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:10 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
No one claimed that cardiovascular disease WAS contagious. The point is that there are MANY things that can kill a person, yet you seldom hear anyone express concern about dying from cardiovascular disease even though statistically that's a greater threat to life and health than Covid.

If people were REALLY concerned about things that could kill them prematurely, then we would have tons of threads about proper diet, nutritional foods, exercise regimens, weight control, and all that stuff. But, nah! That's too boring. It's much more exciting and gives a person a much greater sense of moral superiority to lecture others about mask wearing, social distancing, and vaccinations. I see it here every day on this board.

BTW, I enjoyed the golf today, got plenty of exercise and fresh air, and was able to socialize with other human beings. I'm sure that pounding that little white ball around the course was great for reducing tension and relieving stress. I figure that was a hell of a lot better for me than sitting on my butt, worrying about Covid, and stressing out about all the problems in the world.

Now I'm having a glass of wine and looking forward to a good dinner. Relax, laugh more often, and enjoy yourself. You'll live longer and enjoy it more.
The point is, if someone wants to kill themselves by contributing to their cardiovascular disease, let them have at it. It is not going to cause someone else to get cardiovascular disease. But COVID isn't like cardiovascular disease. At all. COVID measures are to protect OTHERS. If someone isn't worried about getting COVID and doesn't take those measures, it does and can cause someone else to get COVID.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Who has said it will be four to five years of this? Most reports say sometime this year we should see the beginning of the end and our return to normalcy.
I'm not holding my breath. Maybe a "return" (not) to the New Normal, which sucks anyway.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:23 AM

Around here, in NE Texas, hospitalizations have continued to decline every day for over a week. Yes, we are still slightly above the 15 percent (of hospitalizations - but of course, with elective surgeries banned and other surgeries postponed that makes sense) but the rates are declining daily. But do you think our local media points that out? Nope. All they say is "OMG we're still above 15 percent!!!!!!!" Good grief.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
The point is, if someone wants to kill themselves by contributing to their cardiovascular disease, let them have at it. It is not going to cause someone else to get cardiovascular disease. But COVID isn't like cardiovascular disease. At all. COVID measures are to protect OTHERS. If someone isn't worried about getting COVID and doesn't take those measures, it does and can cause someone else to get COVID.
I do think that everyone should feel and implement a ton of self responsibility into their own health.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:39 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Sorry to hear about your aunt. I don't get how a 90 yo in assisted living was not one of the first to get the vaccine. I have heard that anyone over 65 can go to Florida can get the vaccine. You don't have to live in Florida. And they don't ask for ID so you I guess you just have to look like you could be 65. Not really a fair rollout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This was true for a while, isn't true any longer. You have to own property in Florida, even if you don't live there the majority of the time.

And they do ask for ID.
The rules have been tightened in Florida as WSM says. Snowbirds now need to provide 2 documents showing Florida residency and a lease is okay.

I was asked for ID on January 7th and they entered it into their system. I'm scheduled for my 2nd dose on Thursday, hopefully Biden/DeSantas won't change the rules allowing 2nd doses to be given. Baptist and Jackson hospitals have now changed their procedures and have cancelled appointments for people getting the 1st dose since Florida is low on doses.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:51 AM

6,026 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So, if vaccinations are effective, then get your vaccinations and quit worrying about what other people do or don't do. If vaccinations are NOT effective, then why should people who don't want them be forced to get them just to please you? There are plenty of incidents starting to come to light in recent days about SEVERE adverse effects from getting the Covid vaccine. Some of these adverse effects were DEATH. I'd say that's pretty severe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness