Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 02:01 PM

4,961 posts, read 2,244,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I have heard where I work that we'll never travel again like we did before the pandemic now that everyone is used to meeting through video calls.
I traveled extensively for work prior to my current employer as of 3/2020. I am not longer required to travel - thankfully.

I already suffer from claustrophobia. I pretty much had to get tanked to fly before COVID. If I had to wear a mask for 6 hours straight, I'd have to be anesthetized.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 03-26-2021 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 02:10 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,410,077 times
I can't imagine being so scared of a virus with such a high survival rate..... How long are people going hide in their homes?? That's not living...

Old 03-26-2021, 02:23 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And a million cases worldwide with ten thousand dead in Italy. Dr. Fauci has close world-wide contacts. He was not limited to US data. It's understandable that Joe Sixpack might have been unaware of what was happening until after it was happening here but there's no excuse for a person whose very job is to be out in front of it.
His focus was the US, and with that few cases here the prospect of control was not unrealistic.

SARS-CoV-1 was controlled, albeit with a fortuitous mutation that made it less infectious.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:16 PM

334 posts, read 188,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
i'm kind of curious.. if COVID disappeared tomorrow. Poof. Gone.

How many people would be right back to the way things were? Not worrying about the Flu, or noroviruses or anything of that nature.

In time.. That's what will happen with this.
Yeah...somewhat like the fiasco that was called the Swine Flu. The exact same playbook...but during this time (circa 1976) "journalist were really journalist" and asked the tough questions and did their research. Now it's all propaganda and agenda. Oh, and let's not forget about the H1N1 that was supposedly so deadly. Take Care...!!!

Here's a great video of the 1976 so-called SwineFlu pandemic (it's about 16 minutes long) when 60 minutes really did a great job.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:45 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,388,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I can't imagine being so scared of a virus with such a high survival rate..... How long are people going hide in their homes?? That's not living...
Really depends on your age on the survivability and the side effects can be serious and life changing even if the disease doesn't kill you.

Polio had a much smaller death rate (0.05% vs 2%) yet that caused fear and lockdown many places in the 50s. The 1918 Spanish flu had a similar death rate and infected about 1/3 of the worlds population - more died of the flu than were killed in WW1 that was going on at the time. But because of the war going on and news was much more tightly controlled, there was much less isolating so that workers would continue to produce to support the war effort. Also medical knowledge and ability to treat was much worse then - this virus may have been worse without that ability to treat.

I expect that the economy will open up as more get vaccinated but some of the impacts will be felt for years.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:04 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,274,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Have you done research on long-haul COVID? It seems to be a crapshoot- even younger, healthy people can be left with serious lingering problems. I'm not afraid of dying of COVID- I'm afraid of getting a case that leaves me with permanent health issues. I'm 68 and don't want to be done with climbing mountains or taking 20-mile bike rides.

And I'm not hiding at home, either- in fact I'm in a hotel 75 miles away from home and will get my second vaccination tomorrow.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:17 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
i'm kind of curious.. if COVID disappeared tomorrow. Poof. Gone.

How many people would be right back to the way things were? Not worrying about the Flu, or noroviruses or anything of that nature.

In time.. That's what will happen with this.

If COVID disappeared tomorrow, I'd pack car and MrsM and I would be on a 6-8 (or more) week road trip. Lots of National Parks and Monuments left to visit.

Never had (knock on wood) norovirus but we both came down with the flu on several different vacations.

So, in the meantime, we'll wait a few more months and see what happens. Cases here in Ohio and other states are now on the increase again. Spring break will cause influx in cases.

Yes, we are both fully vaccinated, but a bit cautious. As should you be

Old 03-26-2021, 05:22 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
Yeah...somewhat like the fiasco that was called the Swine Flu. The exact same playbook...but during this time (circa 1976) "journalist were really journalist" and asked the tough questions and did their research. Now it's all propaganda and agenda. Oh, and let's not forget about the H1N1 that was supposedly so deadly. Take Care...!!!

COVID is not Swine Flu. Much more deadly, mutates faster and is more infectious

No comparison what so ever

Old 03-26-2021, 05:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,503,023 times
Have you tried getting into a restaurant lately?

Old 03-26-2021, 05:42 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,410,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Have you done research on long-haul COVID? It seems to be a crapshoot- even younger, healthy people can be left with serious lingering problems. I'm not afraid of dying of COVID- I'm afraid of getting a case that leaves me with permanent health issues. I'm 68 and don't want to be done with climbing mountains or taking 20-mile bike rides.

And I'm not hiding at home, either- in fact I'm in a hotel 75 miles away from home and will get my second vaccination tomorrow.
Yeah, I realize that COVID leaves lasting effects on certain people.... However, I've always been very healthy and have a very strong immune system. That's why I've never been afraid to get COVID. I truly believe I would have flu like symptoms at the very worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness