Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 11:38 PM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaRoslynn View Post
Thank you so much for your response, Rose. <3

You're very welcome. No reason for you to freak out like we did, because we know so much more about that positive cologuard (Google search results) test.

Going to copy some info for you to ease your mind as much as I can. I found an article that says 66% of positive Cologuard tests are false positives. That's a very high rate of failure. I'll be shocked if you have cancer because the fail rate is so high!

I do hope your insurance will cover your colonoscopy since some insurances will only cover one colon cancer screening tool. Make sure to call to find out, you can also try to appeal it if they say no.

Cologuard doesn't only pick up cancer, it also picks up blood in the stool sample, so if you're a woman who has had a child, chances are it will be positive for hemorrhoids.

If your family has a history of colon cancer, mine does not, then yes, there is a chance it is cancer.

Google search results - What can cause a false positive cologuard test - False positive results are common with non-colonoscopy screening tests. If you have another condition that could cause blood to show up in your stool, such as hemorrhoids, you could receive a false positive result on your Cologuard test. You may still need a colonoscopy.

Are there a lot of false positives with cologuard? - Nearly 66% of positive Cologuard tests are false positives. Any colon cancer screening is better than no screening, but patients should know the pros and cons before making a final decision.

How Cologuard Tests May End Up Costing You Thousands - July 23, 2021

Quote:
A Missouri woman wound up with a $2000 bill because of an at-home colon cancer test.

Lianne Bryant used an at-home colon cancer screening test called Cologuard. The test came back positive. This meant she needed to have a colonoscopy – and was stuck with the bill.

Fortunately, Bryant’s colonoscopy was negative for cancer. Unfortunately, her colonoscopy wasn’t covered by insurance because she had already used her screening coverage for the Cologuard test.

Bryant was able to successfully appeal the claim and the insurance company ultimately covered the cost of her procedure. This process took many calls over 5 months. It worked out for Bryant, but others have not been that lucky. It all depends on the insurance plan and the individual situation.

Nearly 66% of positive Cologuard tests are false positives.

The Truth About Cologuard Tests - March 27, 2019

Quote:
Cologuard is spending millions on advertising, but it’s impossible for patients to get all the information they need in a TV commercial. It’s true, Cologuard offers benefits of comfort and convenience, but the Cologuard test is not recommended by GCSA physicians as a replacement for a colonoscopy.

Any colon cancer screening is better than no screening, but patients should know the pros and cons before making a final decision.
Types of Colorectal Cancer (CRC) Screening

Because colon cancer begins as growths called polyps, finding and removing polyps is the best way to prevent colon cancer. There are three types of CRC screening:

1. Colonoscopy – 95% of large polyps detected
2. Stool DNA (Cologuard) – 42% of large polyps detected
3. Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) – 30% of large polyps detected

Unfortunately, the majority of large polyps go undetected with FIT and Cologuard tests. When polyps aren’t found and removed it increases the risk of developing colon cancer.

The Cologuard test is designed to detect cancer not prevent it. Cologuard can only detect 42% of large polyps, while a colonoscopy can detect 95% of large polyps.

The majority of large precancerous polyps cannot be detected with Cologuard. This may give patients a false sense that they are preventing colon cancer by taking the Cologuard test.

How does the Cologuard test work? - The Cologuard test is a stool DNA test that looks for microscopic blood in the stool and altered DNA.

Cologuard can detect 92% of cancers but only 42% of large precancerous polyps.

Cologuard is better at detecting cancer than FIT (92% vs 70% for FIT), but the false positive rate is higher. Cologuard has a 12% false-positive rate, and that rate increases as people age.

What does it mean if your Cologuard test is positive? If the Cologuard test is positive, it may mean that colon cancer or polyps are present. After a positive Cologuard test a colonoscopy is required for a definitive answer. The Cologuard test has a 12% false-positive rate, which means 1 in 10 positive tests will incorrectly identify cancer or polyps.

What is the false positive rate of Cologuard? The false-positive rate for Cologuard is 12% or a little over 1 in 10.

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-20-2021 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 10:11 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaRoslynn View Post
[QUOTE

I have the same problem right now. I am 51, with the hemmy problem also. I am totally freaking out. I am scared nearly every day. My dr office said they didn't know how to reach me when they got the results so I don't know how long they knew it was positive. I don't understand when they can always reach me to remind me of an appt or a bill. Anyway I found out I was positive about a month after sending it off then I have to wait till Nov 4 for the colonoscopy. Also after doing this test, I am finding out my insurance will not cover the colonoscopy that I wish I had just taken in the first place.
I hope yours turned out to be fine.
Did you have the Cologuard test or the hemocult ( tests for blood) done? Either way, any blood in your stool sample will result in a positive result for either the Cologuard or hemocult test. Though you do need to have this checked out, if you're having issues with hemorrhoids it's very likely the blood could be coming from those.

With a positive Cologuard ( or occult blood) the colonoscopy would no longer be a screening test, but a diagnostic test. Perhaps your insurance would cover the colonoscopy as a followup to your positive test results, though this would be subject to out of pocket expenses such as copays and deductibles according to the terms of your coverage.

Anyway, best of luck and don't worry too much. I also had a positive occult blood too- in my case it turned out to be bleeding gastric ulcers ( the doc persuaded me to have an upper GI done at the same time as the colonoscopy).

Old 10-21-2021, 01:05 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,280,363 times
They found blood in my stool when I was 17 and sent me to the hospital for 3 days of increasingly invasive tests. My ass was so sore by the third night when they announced the next test would be proctoscopy, that I gathered my stuff, called a friend, and went home. That was decades ago and I haven't let anything go up there except my GP's finger (well, and maybe one GF's lol...)

My cologuard box sits under my kitchen table, where it will continue to sit for several more decades.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:55 PM

457 posts, read 496,737 times
I had no idea that the polyp detection rate was so low with Cologuard. That’s a scary thought considering how many people avoid colonoscopies and may have a missed polyp that doesn’t get detected for many more years.

My DH (50) had his first screening colonoscopy in June. They found one large polyp……cancer. No symptoms. I’m very thankful he went when he did.

Now that the age has been lowered to 40, hopefully many more lives can be saved.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
They found blood in my stool when I was 17 and sent me to the hospital for 3 days of increasingly invasive tests. My ass was so sore by the third night when they announced the next test would be proctoscopy, that I gathered my stuff, called a friend, and went home. That was decades ago and I haven't let anything go up there except my GP's finger (well, and maybe one GF's lol...)

My cologuard box sits under my kitchen table, where it will continue to sit for several more decades.

I had some pretty $hitty testing done too in the late 80's. I was still in my 20's. One was especially horrible, some sort of balloon, no clue why I even had the testing done.

I still don't recall why I had the colonoscopy in my 40's when I had no colon cancer history in my family, except they were all the rage back then. My parents and my hub had them done too, I guess I figured I'd do it too. What a mistake that was, except it helped to have a base line as I age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
I had no idea that the polyp detection rate was so low with Cologuard. That’s a scary thought considering how many people avoid colonoscopies and may have a missed polyp that doesn’t get detected for many more years.

My DH (50) had his first screening colonoscopy in June. They found one large polyp……cancer. No symptoms. I’m very thankful he went when he did.

Now that the age has been lowered to 40, hopefully many more lives can be saved.

Your hub is very fortunate to have had one done at such a young age.

Was there a specific reason he had one done or was it because the doctor suggested it to get a baseline?

I assume the doctor will want to repeat it in 3 to 5 years?

Old 10-22-2021, 07:50 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:

Not all polyps are cancerous, many are benign. They can potentially turn cancerous at a later date, and some may harbor cancer or "precancer" cells, which is why they remove and biopsy polyps when they see them during a colonoscopy. But if they are benign, and don't show cancer cells, the markers associated with common types of colon cancer won't be found in the stool- hence, a negative Cologuard ( unless there is blood in the sample, from anywhere inside the GI tract.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Your hub is very fortunate to have had one done at such a young age.

Was there a specific reason he had one done or was it because the doctor suggested it to get a baseline?

I assume the doctor will want to repeat it in 3 to 5 years?
It’s been recommended that everybody should get the first screening at 50. It has since been lowered to 45 (I mistyped 40 in my earlier post).
He went because his doctor suggested and I nagged him lol.
We actually had an appt with the colorectal surgeon today regarding his ileostomy reversal. We don’t know what his “surveillance” will be yet. But I suspect yearly colonoscopies, blood tests, etc.

Old 10-23-2021, 03:02 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
Wife had a positive Cologuard test , because she has MS, the colonoscopy had to be done in the hospital with overnight stay. It turned out to be fine and no polyps. Because of her age ( and mine ) 70, we aren't' getting any more colonoscopies . I don't have a lot of faith in Cologuard after that.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
It’s been recommended that everybody should get the first screening at 50. It has since been lowered to 45 (I mistyped 40 in my earlier post).
He went because his doctor suggested and I nagged him lol.
We actually had an appt with the colorectal surgeon today regarding his ileostomy reversal. We don’t know what his “surveillance” will be yet. But I suspect yearly colonoscopies, blood tests, etc.

I hadn't heard that they lowered the age. I still wonder why I had one at 40. I can't believe insurance paid for it. I wasn't having any issues to warrant it. Your hub does have issues since he has the ileostomy

How often will he have to have them done? Every 3 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Wife had a positive Cologuard test , because she has MS, the colonoscopy had to be done in the hospital with overnight stay. It turned out to be fine and no polyps. Because of her age ( and mine ) 70, we aren't' getting any more colonoscopies . I don't have a lot of faith in Cologuard after that.

I don't blame you for stopping at 70. It gets to a point where you've made it this long, whatever life you have left shouldn't be done doing tests like this. The way I look at it, we're all going to die from some reason. If I'm a certain age, I'd rather die from colon cancer than to die while being treated for it.

I had an elderly neighbor who had a bad fall around age 86. They told him his heartbeat was irregular, it also slowed down. He was against doing a pacemaker, which I totally agreed with. He stayed with me over a month because he only had an elderly niece who refused to take him. I told his caseworker he needed to be looked over for dementia but they did nothing. A few months later, he calls me from the hospital that he almost OD'd on his cumadin. He had blood pouring out of every hole in his body. Even that wasn't enough for a caseworker to question him living alone.

While he was there, they some how talked him into doing a pacemaker or something else for his heart. I was floored. The next phone call I got, he passed away, his hernia strangled his intestines. He died a very painful, miserable death at 89.

We used to tell people he was my grandfather. We were very close. If I was legally his granddaughter, I would have looked into suing the hospital for that pacemaker.

He could have died a peaceful death due to his heart slowing down. Instead he died because of the hernia they missed the 6 times he was admitted.

It was a known hernia. He wore a binder to hold it in. You'd think at some point they would have done testing.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I hadn't heard that they lowered the age. I still wonder why I had one at 40. I can't believe insurance paid for it. I wasn't having any issues to warrant it. Your hub does have issues since he has the ileostomy

How often will he have to have them done? Every 3 years?
They lowered the age to 45 in May of this year. He's ready to get rid of the ileostomy for sure. The plan is to get it reversed
in about 4 weeks, which will be 12 weeks since surgery.

We don't know for sure how often he'll need a colonoscopy, but, since cancer was involved I'd think yearly, at least for a few years. Then every 3-5?? We'll see what his team says, and after this scare, he'll do whatever they suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness