Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 04:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times

Advertisements

When I had hip replacement, I had about 3 months worth of supplies stocked up, paper goods, personal hygiene items, etc. My neighbor got my mail for me. Getting groceries was the most stressful, had to ask various people to help but nowadays we’re all open to home delivery so might be easier. I was in the hospital one day and they let me go home which is what I hoped for. But after getting home I realized that just having friends stop by wasn’t enough. I did have a physical therapist each day which was a tremendous help, both physically and emotionally. I ended up hiring home health care workers...big mistake, I was robbed of money clothing and other valuables...apparently this sort of thing isn’t all that unusual, so be careful who you let in. I was on pain meds for about 8 days, then went off, my choice, I think I heal faster without them and feel more “with it”. I did have a raised toilet seat installed which was a life saver. Couldn’t shower for like 10 days until staples came out and they sent a wonderful “shower lady” to make sure I could bathe on my own. The healing process, when doc would see me, was 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, one year. The first 10 days there was some pain but not bad, then there was hardly any. I just had to sit and sleep certain ways. I think hip is probably a lot easier, if there is such a thing, than knees. Only other negative was my operated leg ended up about one/eighth inch higher than my other leg so I have to wear a lift. Not sure if that can happen with knee or not, might want to as your surgeon. Please ask if you have any questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 09:16 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The same effect but different duration, nerve ablation lasts for months. They basically damage the sensory nerves with either cold or heat so they can't relay pain signals until they repair themselves. In fact I'm hoping to get it shortly, to delay surgery for a good long while.

Happy to hear they are doing TKAs with such little pain, as I am a (very reluctant) TKA candidate. I can hold out a few years until they perfect the newer procedures.
Well holding out as long as you can is a good idea in my book. Not sure if that is medically sound lol.

The main reason being there is a shelf life to your replacement knee. So the longer you wait, the less chance you have to have a repeat surgery to have it done again.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:19 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I never had pain before or after the surgery. What I did feel was like there were blocks of wood in my knees; an uncomfortable, unnatural feeling but not painful. I still feel that today.

I had to get it done due to insurance issues and X rays showing no cartilage left. I wonder if I jumped the gun though, since I wasn't in pain.

I think I had to stay in Salt Lake City about 10 days for the rehab, then the PT at home lasted a full year! That's why I was thankful I did them both at once.

I don't know why you would get knee replacement, and why doctors wouldn't discourage it, and why your insurance would pay for it, if you were not in pain. What "insurance issues" do you mean? Plenty of people with no cartilage also have no pain. Its very individual, so lacking cartilage doesn't seem like a reason to have TKA if there is no pain. In fact removing the cartilage is often done to eliminate pain from damaged cartilage. Something doesn't add up here.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:52 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I was very interested in your comment about no cartilage yet no pain. That’s where I was at until about 8 weeks ago when arthritis flared up. Cortisone seems to have helped with that, I’ll see how it feels after it wears off. I’m getting more hopeful that I can avoid TNR. I read it’s the number one performed surgery, can you imagine that?

Old 04-27-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Well holding out as long as you can is a good idea in my book. Not sure if that is medically sound lol.

The main reason being there is a shelf life to your replacement knee. So the longer you wait, the less chance you have to have a repeat surgery to have it done again.

And they get better at replacements the more time passes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I was very interested in your comment about no cartilage yet no pain. That’s where I was at until about 8 weeks ago when arthritis flared up. Cortisone seems to have helped with that, I’ll see how it feels after it wears off. I’m getting more hopeful that I can avoid TNR. I read it’s the number one performed surgery, can you imagine that?

I think a lot of people are impatient and lazy and can't stick it out with PT, and PT really helps a huge amount. They want the equivalent of a quick fix pill. Me, I don't want to be limited by post-surgical restrictions like "don't lift anything over 20 lbs". Good grief, I can't even pick up my dog or an armful of firewood if I can't lift 20 lbs!

Old 04-27-2021, 02:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:

Plenty of people with no cartilage also have no pain.
This is the first time I've heard of anyone saying 'having no cartilage and not having pain'.

I've never heard anyone mention it before. (and never come across it in reading sources widely)

I thought most all people with no cartilage or very little cartilage left in knee have pain.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-27-2021 at 03:08 PM..

Old 04-27-2021, 02:22 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
This is the first time I've heard of anyone saying 'having no cartilage and not having pain'.

I've never heard anyone mention it before. (and never come across it in reading sources widely)

I thought most all people with no cartilage or very little cartilage left in knee have pain.
Yes, the surgeon was very surprised I had no pain. He said, "well you WILL", which is what prompted me to jump the gun. I had paid my hefty deductibles for that year, so time/money was an issue.

My issue was weakness in my knees. I thought that would improve but it didn't. So essentially I got nothing out of that surgery, except a loss of ability to squat/crouch/kneel.

Maybe I'd be in pain now without it, maybe not. Maybe the surgeon was over-eager?

I just know I would have been LOATHE to do the second knee, if I hadn't done both at once.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:24 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
And they get better at replacements the more time passes...

I think a lot of people are impatient and lazy and can't stick it out with PT, and PT really helps a huge amount. They want the equivalent of a quick fix pill. Me, I don't want to be limited by post-surgical restrictions like "don't lift anything over 20 lbs". Good grief, I can't even pick up my dog or an armful of firewood if I can't lift 20 lbs!
It's the furthest thing from a "quick fix"! yikes. A whole year of PT. The restrictions are for just 3 months.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:

Plenty of people with no cartilage also have no pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

This is the first time I've heard of anyone saying 'no cartilage left in knee and not having pain'.

I am directing the above to Deserterer because he or she mentioned that "plenty of people with no cartilage in the knee(s) have no pain" which I have never heard about, so I was hoping he or she might comment more on this.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, the surgeon was very surprised I had no pain. He said, "well you WILL", which is what prompted me to jump the gun. I had paid my hefty deductibles for that year, so time/money was an issue.

My issue was weakness in my knees. I thought that would improve but it didn't. So essentially I got nothing out of that surgery, except a loss of ability to squat/crouch/kneel.

Maybe I'd be in pain now without it, maybe not. Maybe the surgeon was over-eager?

I just know I would have been LOATHE to do the second knee, if I hadn't done both at once.

Well it certainly puts a new spin on the term "preventative medicine". I've never heard of such an extreme measure to "help" someone who wasn't in pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness