Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 04:29 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times

Advertisements

Vacuum a lot, and in between, put salt in the carpets. That helps dry up the eggs, and is non toxic.
Pet stores have organic yard sprays that you hook to your hose, I've used these and they work well. Treat after each rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 05:09 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Get an exterminator.
I second this suggestion. You need to get rid of them; not try to live with them by applying a personal repellent.

Alternatively you could try treating your home yourself by using IGR (Insect growth regulators) and poison. I used "Archer" IGR when I had a problem and it worked. The idea is the IGR doesn't allow the fleas to reproduce and eventually they die out.

https://www.domyown.com/archer-igr-p...YaAmWEEALw_wcB

They also sell an insecticide for fleas.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:40 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
A lot of exterminating companies have treatments for fleas that i believe are pet friendly too.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:30 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Sevin dust in the yard and garden.

Spray carpets with something like this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Raid-Flea...16-oz/27414794

or

treat and vacuum the carpets with something like this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Enforcer-...20-oz/16672534

Old 06-03-2021, 07:59 AM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
Fleas are difficult to remove. Best method is foggers/flea bombs in every room leaving drawers & interior doors open. Run vacuum cleaner after fogging every time. WHILE FOGGING GET OUT OF THE HOUSE FOR THE DAY! Wait a week and repeat.
If you still have fleas do it a third time.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:29 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Vacuum a lot, and in between, put salt in the carpets. That helps dry up the eggs, and is non toxic.
Pet stores have organic yard sprays that you hook to your hose, I've used these and they work well. Treat after each rain.
That is such a huge part of getting rid of them.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
The op, Pathrunner clearly said, " I now have
*chemical poisoning and have to go to the ER to have some lab testing.
*I have problem lungs
due to a birth defect and my lungs are very susceptible to infection.
*I am very ill."

So, No chems, No professional exterminator, guys.
Good luck, Pathrunner!

Old 06-03-2021, 09:42 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
A vet told my sister to do this. She had tried everything and no luck, and was going nuts. This was possible for her because her house was not large. She was told to vacuum the house every single day, every room, and try to get into all corners. Take the bag out immediately and throw it away outside. She did this every day and in two weeks there was no longer a problem.
Oh, and she walked around her house wearing white socks. Fleas are attracted to white, and if there were any around, she could see one or two on her socks.
Hard work, but it is effective. And no toxins.
Also put a flea color in the vacuum bag.

OP, I would hire a professional to handle getting them out of your house completely. As far as your pets, I'm assuming you put them on a monthly flea and tick preventative so this doesn't happen again.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:31 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
my solution is get rid of the pets
and don't allow people in the home who bring their pets

worked for me

Old 06-03-2021, 10:44 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I posted in the Huntsville Alabama forum about the flea infestation I had last week. My pets are handled. I am not.

Please help me figure out how to get rid of these ba@tards. I now have chemical poisoning and have to go to the ER to have some lab testing. I have problem lungs due to a birth defect and my lungs are very susceptible to infection. I am very ill.

My friend told me about Avon Skin So Soft Bug lotion but she's 2000 miles away. Amazon Prime doesn't handle it and it will take me days to get a hold of it.

Is there any other EFFECTIVE LOTION for insect bites that I can put on my skin?? I bought some OFF! Deep Woods but it seems so toxic. Afraid to use it.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Pin prick bites on my ankles and legs, and arms and neck. I used the best fogger there is and it only lasted about 3-4 days. And now I read that we are not even supposed to be using foggers.

Sorry to read you have fleas and to top it off, issues from the chemicals. You're not going to be able to use skin so soft and not treat for the fleas. They will keep multiplying. As you found out, fogging will not wipe them out because they hatch every few weeks.

I successfully got rid of fleas in the 90's. The house we bought was infested. Of course they loved my newborn daughter. My MIL took her for 2 weeks while I got rid of the fleas.

I know you have lung issues, maybe wear a medical mask or consider paying an exterminator. I'm too cheap to pay someone to do what I can do much cheaper, plus if I do it myself, I know it's done right.

I was told I had to pray with Raid flea in the purple can that kills the larva. I sprayed everything from carpet edge, baseboards and dressers. I ran the vac on everything, took cushions off the couch, flipped the couch upside down to vac and spray it. I then used flea powder under dressers, the bed, couch, couch cushions. You can use diatomaceous earth which is natural.

I don't know if you could take care of it without the Raid purple can flea spray. It does kill the eggs and larva. I swear by it for fleas.

You're going to have to do the vacuuming too which sucks for anyone disabled like I think you are. I've been doing it at my daughters the last few months because she has a pest issue at her rental. The landlord bought foggers but physically spraying everything had to be done. It was murder on my bad back to move their twin and queen beds, vac and spray and or use a powder on their mattresses. Same for dressers and drawers, the couch. Add to it that she moved out for 9 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
A vet told my sister to do this. She had tried everything and no luck, and was going nuts. This was possible for her because her house was not large. She was told to vacuum the house every single day, every room, and try to get into all corners. Take the bag out immediately and throw it away outside. She did this every day and in two weeks there was no longer a problem.
Oh, and she walked around her house wearing white socks. Fleas are attracted to white, and if there were any around, she could see one or two on her socks.
Hard work, but it is effective. And no toxins.

I don't know if it would work without chemicals. I used chemicals in addition to doing all of that and regularly washing bedding. These days they know that putting blankets in the dryer will kill them. Back then, the Raid flea in the purple can was considered the gold treatment since it killed eggs and larvae.

She can do something like flea powder or diatomaceous earth too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness