Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 04:10 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Not everyone develops a revulsion to the smell. Some ex smokers still love the smell of smoke and aren't bothered by the hideous stench of a smoker's reeking clothes.

In case you can't tell, I'm not one of em.
I still like the smell of cigarette smoke wafting through the air outside. Not stale smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 06:32 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I still like the smell of cigarette smoke wafting through the air outside. Not stale smoke.

Ironically I never liked the smell of smoke even when I smoked.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Not everyone develops a revulsion to the smell. Some ex smokers still love the smell of smoke and aren't bothered by the hideous stench of a smoker's reeking clothes.

In case you can't tell, I'm not one of em.
Yep, my dad is like this, he smoked at one time but not for long, he quit over 35 yrs ago, and claimed he likes the smell of a cigarette.

Of course there is a difference between the 'smell of a cigarette burning'...and the rank smell of stale cigarette that permeates everything (Clothing, car, house, etc).

Old 07-05-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
You are not alone with shortness of breath after quitting. Hang in there. I know it's not easy, but can you imagine if you carry on smoking again for years and then stop again? They reckon it takes about 9 months to get more better days than not and a good five years to get back to a sort of normal.
I dont think I would have lasted much longer if I continued to smoke.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:27 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
I don’t like cigarette smoke, but can tolerate some if it’s not in my face. Cigar smoke is vomit-inducing, however I actually like the smell of a good pipe (no, not a bong).

Old 07-06-2021, 02:13 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My mother was a smoker for at least 50 years. She was diagnosed with COPD 20 years ago. It amazes me that she's made it to 90. I guess you never really know what to expect.
I was diagnosed with COPD 6 years ago, and at 71YO, I'm still smoking, a half-pack a day or more. Been smoking since age 16.

My Dad also smoked for 50 years, quit at age 66, and lived to age 96, and never needed any oxygen care or inhalers. Go figure!

Old 07-06-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was diagnosed with COPD 6 years ago, and at 71YO, I'm still smoking, a half-pack a day or more. Been smoking since age 16.

My Dad also smoked for 50 years, quit at age 66, and lived to age 96, and never needed any oxygen care or inhalers. Go figure!
Well, I continued smoking for many years after I was diagnosed with COPD too, I never had any problems...UNTIL I DID!

It came on pretty fast, I started to notice I didnt feel that great and my breathing became very tough, it reached a point where I could barely walk 2ft across my living room floor as I was patiently waiting for the ambulance to arrive...Also I could barely speak when I called 911, thankfully I was able to convey my problem to the dispatcher and the EMTs had an oxygen bottle when they came into my house.

There was a couple times that night where I had to move and be in uncomfortable positions, where I thought I was going to pass out and die from suffocation...it really sucked!

The hospital treated me that night, gave me a bunch of albuterol treatments and eventually sent me home, it took me a couple days to get back to normal...and I continued to smoke after that even!

I didnt have any problems for the next year, but literally almost to the day (of the prior incident), I found myself not feeling good again and my breathing was tough again...same thing happened, I could barely breath as I waited for the ambulance...however this time, the hospital admitted me for a few days and gave me all sorts of treatments, steroids over this stay.

Unfortunately we smokers are stubborn, I was really dumb for continuing to smoke after that first incident, but I thought I was OK, I had been smoking since age 13 and never had any problems like this.

Everyone is different...thru out my life I always told myself I was going to be one of those people that smoking didnt bother, the type that would live to be late 90s and never had any related health problems...I was way wrong...Im not even 50 yrs old yet.

***I should mention that smoking is not the only cause of my problems, I went years with genetic asthma without knowing I had it...combined with smoking, is really what caused my problem.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:19 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
I had to sit by my 80 year old mother’s bedside overnight watching her slowly gasp & strangle to death from her COPD. It was not a pretty sight.
My wife had to do the same with her mother.

No smoker is immune to that miserable death.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I had to sit by my 80 year old mother’s bedside overnight watching her slowly gasp & strangle to death from her COPD. It was not a pretty sight.
My wife had to do the same with her mother.

No smoker is immune to that miserable death.
I bet she had a tough time even lying in bed?

During my incidents, I could certainly not lay down flat in bed, even on my side, I had to either sit straight up in a chair, stand up, or stand up and lean/bend over onto something, (like a table), to take some pressure off my chest and lungs.

Thats one of the worst parts about it, you cannot even rely on getting a good nights sleep!

Old 07-07-2021, 02:34 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have been off the cigarettes for 3 full days now, Im wearing a nicotine patch and it is helping, my cravings seem to be all on the mental side, but Ive found that they pass fairly quickly if I avoid thinking about it.

However My breathing seems to be pretty bad, I looked up how long it takes for all the Phlegm to work its way out of my lungs and getting different answers...online it says 1-9 months before lungs clear themselves out, but my doctors are telling me its only 7-12 days...Can anyone that has stopped smoking give me a better opinion?

Im coughing phlegm up pretty regularly, but it seems to be a slow process...

I worry that the damage is already done and its too late now! Im thinking about asking my Pulmonologist if he can prescribe me some kind of breathing treatments, like a home nebulizer, I had a friend that used one of these years ago, she would use it twice a day, but that was not smoking related in her case.
Congratulations! That is a monumental accomplishment!

I quit smoking when I was 28 after about 11 years of smoking. The first six months were pulmonary hell. Then it got better. 22 years later I have no residual issues and even maintained 98-100% oxygen levels with COVID.

Dad quit smoking at 68 six months before I did. He was actually my inspiration. He smoked for over 50 years. He had a cold and that made the cigarettes "taste like ****". So a few days of not smoking turned into a lifetime. He is 90 now and aside from his vaccine-related bladder issues, he is active and a picture of health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness