Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 07:48 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
I am vegan and I don't believe there are any cruelty free sources of dairy. All dairy comes from animals who are forcibly impregnated time and time again and then their babies (who should be consuming their milk) are ripped away from them at birth and either raised to become another milk machine (females) or raised for a very short time to become veal (males). When they are too old or used up to get pregnant any longer they are also generally slaughtered. You may comfort yourself by saying that you are not eating animals, but you are certainly instrumental in ensuring this industry, and thus the mistreatment of the animals involved, will continue. No one needs milk (and its byproducts) to be healthy except baby cows.

Oh boy. You are one of those who give us all a bad reputation. There are cruelty free sources but go ahead and continue to spew that "your way is the only way" crap. Then think about why vegans are made fun of or hated so much.

I am very involved with animal rescue, mostly domestic but including farm animals, when needed, so I know exactly how badly most are mistreated. How many have you rescued?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Vegetarians are people that eat animals or animal products.They want to believe they deserve their own category but I don't think they do. Anyone who eats cheese or fish is much like me, and I'm not a vegetarian.

Vegetarians do not eat animals or fish so people who do, would in fact, be like you, NOT a vegetarian.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:03 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Eh...it used to be cool to be vegetarian, then that wasn't enough. Not healthy enough, not humane enough.

There's really little dietary reason to go vegan though it may make sense if you are lactose intolerant. But most "naturally vegetarian" people (e.g. East Indians) still consume dairy, honey, etc. though perhaps not eggs. There are a lot of varieties of vegetarianism but pretty much one veganism. Vegans are "made", not born.
This just shows how little you know about veganism. It has absolutely nothing to do with one's own health.

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vega...ition-veganism

Do you see anything in the above definition that relates to one's own health?

And I won't even get into your asinine comment about veganism or vegetarianism being cool.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:16 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Eh...it used to be cool to be vegetarian, then that wasn't enough. Not healthy enough, not humane enough.

There's really little dietary reason to go vegan though it may make sense if you are lactose intolerant. But most "naturally vegetarian" people (e.g. East Indians) still consume dairy, honey, etc. though perhaps not eggs. There are a lot of varieties of vegetarianism but pretty much one veganism. Vegans are "made", not born.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
This just shows how little you know about veganism. It has absolutely nothing to do with one's own health.

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vega...ition-veganism

Do you see anything in the above definition that relates to one's own health?

And I won't even get into your asinine comment about veganism or vegetarianism being cool.
I know the defintion but thanks for making my point...ostensibly veganism was put forth for health reasons. But it really offers nothing over vegetarianism. Veganism is 95% about the environment and humane treatment of animals. That's why I said vegans are made, not born.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:27 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Oh boy. You are one of those who give us all a bad reputation. There are cruelty free sources but go ahead and continue to spew that "your way is the only way" crap. Then think about why vegans are made fun of or hated so much.

I am very involved with animal rescue, mostly domestic but including farm animals, when needed, so I know exactly how badly most are mistreated. How many have you rescued?
Are you a vegan?

Old 08-11-2021, 10:38 AM

762 posts, read 451,943 times
Vegan all the way Dr. Will Tuttle PhD & The World Peace Diet

Old 08-11-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Are you a vegan?

No. I would if I could but health wise it didn't work for me because of some food allergies I have.

In "my" ideal world nobody would eat animals, there would be no animal cruelty, etc. But I do not slam other people who do. I just do whatever I can to help save as many animals, domestic, farm and wild as I can.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:31 AM

628 posts, read 286,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Totally agree, but vegans have to supplement or be very much be at risk for growing deficient
in various micronutrients.
I've been vegan for 7 years and take one B12 supplement weekly - that's it, in addition to a balanced whole food diet. I don't know which micronutrients you are referring to, but like I said my doctor is very thorough in ordering my bloodwork because he knows I am vegan and I've never shown any deficiencies.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:33 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
No. I would if I could but health wise it didn't work for me because of some food allergies I have.

In "my" ideal world nobody would eat animals, there would be no animal cruelty, etc. But I do not slam other people who do. I just do whatever I can to help save as many animals, domestic, farm and wild as I can.
I agree with your sentiment and want to cause as little suffering as I personally can. Haven't eaten a cow, pig or chicken since 1988 but I still eat seafood and recognize that that causes harm. I asked because I thought you came down pretty hard on the other vegan poster not to be one yourself.

I admire vegans and think we should give them some wiggle room in the way they express themselves. They give up a lot of pleasure in the human experience for the sake of animal welfare.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:36 AM

708 posts, read 1,295,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I have no idea to what you're referring. I don't think there's much confusion among people or the media at the difference between the two. I think there's more confusion when people who eat fish or even chicken refer to themselves as vegetarians because they don't eat meat.

I'm not sure that I understand this sentence either. It's really hard to be a vegan while being a vegetarian? Huh??

You can get pizza with plant-based mozzarella. Daiya makes a decent frozen one, but if you're in the area where a local Italian restaurant can make you a fresh vegan pizza, that's even better!

Here's one of my favorites in Miami: https://www.mistero1.com/

Even the most famous pizza reviewer in the country, Dave Portnoy from Barstool Sports in NYC, couldn't tell that he was eating a plant-based cheese pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq5H...BarstoolSports

There are far more vegetarians than vegans, so once again, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
I am/was trying to say that vegans get a lot more press than vegetarians and I know for sure that many people don't understand the difference, although you do. When going from a meat eating diet to one that doesn't consume animal products, being a vegetarian is easier than being a vegan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness