Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 05:22 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,548,202 times

Advertisements

as i said in another thread, first the govt mandates a vaccine, now they want to control potato chips. Think about it! just saying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 05:58 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The government can mind their own business about what I eat.
Thank you.

It's all about control...Start with false assumptions, you're doomed to false conclusions.

The facts-- Salt does NOT "cause" any problems. ...IF you have HTN, certain forms (but not all) of renal failure, liver failure, CHF or certain endocrine problems, then excess salt will aggravate those problems.

If you don't have any of those problems, then our mechanisms providing homeostasis function remarkably well and easily get rid of the excess. No problems.

In regard sugar in prepared foods-- sugar in tomato sauce cuts the acid and gives it a distinctive flavor. We can't argue taste, but my Sicilian grandmother always used it a lot and I personally prefer it. Your results may vary. Make your own without it and see what you think. I bet you'll start using it again.

Sugar in other foods is often just used to provide certain characteristics of texture and doesn't amount to many calories. It depends on the food

Bigger question-- Why are you paying someone else to cook your food? Use fresh produce and meat, and then you can season to taste.

Why is it the same types who complain about food additives are also the ones who seem to prefer the fake milk products and meat substitutes made out of plastic?

Old 10-15-2021, 07:28 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
If food producers are forced to lower salt content of the everyday groceries you buy off the shelves in the store; you're going to see a lot of people completely disgusted with the taste of that food, lol.

That extra salt we have now is a result of continued decreased food freshness & quality. Adding salt masks the bad taste from low quality. Fresh, high quality foods don't need much added salt. They taste good because they ARE good.

If the food industry disagrees with the FDA goal, it's because they don't want us to actually find out what their food really tastes like. That extra salt wasn't an accident or oversight; it was done to mask low quality & an almost complete lack of taste.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:27 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Numerous studies have shown that salt does NOT raise blood pressure

"A new study published in the American Journal of Hypertension analyzed data from 8,670 French adults and found that salt consumption wasn't associated with systolic blood pressure in either men or women after controlling for factors like age."

"And low-salt diets could have side effects: when salt intake is cut, the body responds by releasing renin and aldosterone, an enzyme and a hormone, respectively, that increase blood pressure.Jul 8, 2011"

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317099

Old 10-15-2021, 10:47 PM

Good point ^^^

We have only four types of taste buds. Two of them (sour & bitter) help us avoid poisonous & tainted foods. The other two (salty & sweet) help us stick to foods that are good for us.

We have an obligatory loss of Na via our sweat & urine each day, and no GOOD source of salt in a natural (ie- hunter./gatherer) diet exists. We (and most other animals) are drawn to natural salt licks because it's good for us.....\

The very word "salary" comes from the fact that The Roman Legions were paid in salt-- a precious commodity difficult to come by.

Keep things in perspective-- In a previous post, I mentioned sugar in tomato sause. When I make it, I put <1 tsp(20gm carb) in a whole qt of sauce (>6 servings) so the extra sugar wouldn't even cause a blip in a brittle diabetic...but what are you putting the sauce on? PASTA, no doubt---70 gm carb per serving.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:55 AM

108 posts, read 67,313 times
The FDA is pseudoscience . The actions of its bureaucrats are authoritarian, not scientific. There is no empirical or scientific evidence that the agency improves anyone’s health or well-being in any way.

Old 10-16-2021, 06:20 AM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I agree. I'm sick of seeing sugar in everything. Sugar in spaghetti sauce? No thank you.

Higher quality products have better ingredients. You can certainly get spaghetti sauce without sugar but you are gong to pay more. Best option is make your own.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:20 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,294,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Good point ^^^

We have only four types of taste buds. Two of them (sour & bitter) help us avoid poisonous & tainted foods. The other two (salty & sweet) help us stick to foods that are good for us.

We have an obligatory loss of Na via our sweat & urine each day, and no GOOD source of salt in a natural (ie- hunter./gatherer) diet exists. We (and most other animals) are drawn to natural salt licks because it's good for us.....\

The very word "salary" comes from the fact that The Roman Legions were paid in salt-- a precious commodity difficult to come by.

Keep things in perspective-- In a previous post, I mentioned sugar in tomato sause. When I make it, I put <1 tsp(20gm carb) in a whole qt of sauce (>6 servings) so the extra sugar wouldn't even cause a blip in a brittle diabetic...but what are you putting the sauce on? PASTA, no doubt---70 gm carb per serving.

It may not be harmful but the funny thing is that sugar in tomato sauce makes it taste worse, not better! Try some sugar free sometime, and you'll see what I mean-unless like most Americans, you need sweets in everything.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
It may not be harmful but the funny thing is that sugar in tomato sauce makes it taste worse, not better! Try some sugar free sometime, and you'll see what I mean-unless like most Americans, you need sweets in everything.
De gustibus non est disputandum. (Old Chinese proverb.)

I do make my own sauce, with and without the sugar. I personally prefer it, but I gotta admit, it doesn't make nearly as big a difference as the salt I add.. The added sugar doesn't make it taste sweet-- It just cuts the unfavorable acid taste.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:48 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
De gustibus non est disputandum. (Old Chinese proverb.)

I do make my own sauce, with and without the sugar. I personally prefer it, but I gotta admit, it doesn't make nearly as big a difference as the salt I add.. The added sugar doesn't make it taste sweet-- It just cuts the unfavorable acid taste.
Here's what I do--Italian sausage, remove from casing. Fennel is the key, no sugar nor salt need be added. Simmer the sauce for hours, do not cook the meat ahead of time, but put in raw.

I for one do not like the salt content in canned soups, and think the soup companies are lazy for not adding enough flavor through spices and whatnot to create decent tasting soups. So I've switched to boxed soups, now mostly buying Pacific Foods. It's excellent soups! I get about 4 medium sized bowls out of a box, so although each box may cost $4+, it really isn't anymore expensive, no need to add milk or water. Campbells is one of the worst, who wants to eat a can of soup only to find out you've reached 88% of your RDA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness