Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 12:45 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,574,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
They've found that ovarian cancer very often actually starts in the Fallopian tube and then migrates to the ovary. Having a tubal ligation (or better yet, removing the entire tube) eliminates one of the major starting points of the cancer.

It doesn't have be done before age 35, it can be any time. I have a friend, who is herself a doctor, who had both tubes removed at age 48 to reduce ovarian cancer risk.

Yes…they have found that a tubal ligation can lessen the risk of ovarian cancer later in life…but ofc the reason to have “tubes tied” is contraception. The research I read in AJN shows that the risk is lessened more if it’s performed before the age of 35….before cells can start to change with time & age. When tubes are removed…(not tied)…for cancer risk, they remove the ovaries too ofc. It’s a salpingo-oophorectomy & it can be part of a hysterectomy or separate. It’s super extreme IMO & I would never do that just to reduce cancer risk like your friend….but I’m not at high risk for ovarian cancer.

Tho I’m just talking about a tubal ligation..(or a vasectomy for my husband)…for birth control. The lowered cancer risk with the tubal ligation is just a little benefit on the side because it will be before I’m 35^^ if I do it. BUT we haven’t decided as a couple yet & we are still using other birth control ofc.

Quote:
Why would that give anyone a bad name? Changing one's mind is as much a choice as anything else. I find it hypocritical when people claim to be for "choice" but then reveal that they actually only approve of their own specific choice.

ITA. AND we haven’t changed our mind anyway. All the same reasons we have said no are still there ofc. BUT I’m a woman that felt a little disappointment after thinking I might be pregnant for a couple of days by accident…tho it turns out I wasn’t. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

My only thought is that it gives us "child-free by choice" folks a bad name when people who have hinted their status then start to get all googly-eyed over babies.

Tho how does my feeling a little disappointment that I wasn’t pregnant….(AND I was super relieved too)….give you a bad name? So silly.

I have never been totally against the thought of having a baby & my husband isn’t either. We are just trying to make the decision that is right for us. You do you…I promise what we do has no effect on you.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 12-15-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 01:11 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Yes…they have found that a tubal ligation can lessen the risk of ovarian cancer later in life…but ofc the reason to have “tubes tied” is contraception. The research I read in AJN shows that the risk is lessened more if it’s performed before the age of 35….before cells can start to change with time & age. When tubes are removed…(not tied)…for cancer risk, they remove the ovaries too ofc. It’s a salpingo-oophorectomy & it can be part of a hysterectomy or separate. It’s super extreme IMO & I would never do that just to reduce cancer risk like your friend….but I’m not at high risk for ovarian cancer.
My friend wanted to be permanently sterilized after having a baby at age 46. Instead of just tying the tubes, she requested that they be completely removed, to reduce cancer risk. It seems to be something that is done more frequently these days. They didn't remove her ovaries.

I am planning to have my ovaries & tubes removed after menopause, because I AM at high cancer risk.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
My friend wanted to be permanently sterilized after having a baby at age 46. Instead of just tying the tubes, she requested that they be completely removed, to reduce cancer risk. It seems to be something that is done more frequently these days. They didn't remove her ovaries.

I was just saying that removing the ovaries AND fallopian tubes reduces cancer risk the most. She had a baby at 46 tho? Rose has a friend that had a baby in her 40s too.

edit: But we will do something permanent for birth control way before I’m 46….I totally know that for sure. An accident now would be one thing^^….but 15 yrs from now??? That wouldn’t work for us especially because my husband’s age..(in his 40s)…AND our lifestyle has a lot to do with our original decision not to have a baby.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 12-15-2021 at 02:17 PM..

Old 12-15-2021, 01:48 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
I was just saying that removing the ovaries AND fallopian tubes reduces cancer risk the most. She had a baby at 46 tho? Rose has a friend that had a baby in her 40s too.

edit: But we will do something permanent for birth control way before I’m 46....I totally know that for sure.
I have three friends who had babies at 45 or 46! With no fertility treatments involved, just natural conception. All three babies were boys and all are healthy. I'm happy for them, although personally 35 was my age limit. My mom was 43 when I was born and though she was a great parent, I didn't want to be that old when I had kids.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:03 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
????

Old 12-15-2021, 05:28 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:

Tho I’m just talking about a tubal ligation..(or a vasectomy for my husband)…for birth control. The lowered cancer risk with the tubal ligation is just a little benefit on the side because it will be before I’m 35^^ if I do it. BUT we haven’t decided as a couple yet & we are still using other birth control ofc.

ITA. AND we haven’t changed our mind anyway. All the same reasons we have said no are still there ofc. BUT I’m a woman that felt a little disappointment after thinking I might be pregnant for a couple of days by accident…tho it turns out I wasn’t. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit:

Tho how does my feeling a little disappointment that I wasn’t pregnant….(AND I was super relieved too)….give you a bad name? So silly.

I have never been totally against the thought of having a baby & my husband isn’t either. We are just trying to make the decision that is right for us. You do you…I promise what we do has no effect on you.
Yes - I'm being silly - you're being super practical...c'est le vie, whatever will be, will be...just go with the flow.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:40 PM

7,088 posts, read 4,521,984 times
I had 3 kids by 25. My husband was 10 years older and didn’t want more if I died so he had a vasectomy. If he had died I might have wanted one more with a new husband. It makes sense to have the older one be sterilized if you decide on that route.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:58 PM

We haven’t even changed our minds tho it’s like some ppl think I…or my husband…shouldn’t have any feelings when I thought I might be pregnant even tho we are using birth control. They make it about them & their “bad name” AND that makes no sense to me. Ofc a pregnancy scare will bring all kinds of emotion.^^

Old 12-16-2021, 12:14 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:

edit: But we will do something permanent for birth control way before I’m 46 ….I totally know that for sure. An accident now would be one thing^^….but 15 yrs from now??? That wouldn’t work for us especially because my husband’s age..(in his 40s)…AND our lifestyle has a lot to do with our original decision not to have a baby.

You two will figure out what's right for you and your relationship. I always knew I wanted at least one.

I didn't have kids with my hub which I do regret not trying to have one. I was about 35. he was about 43. His son was an adult, my son was a teen with my daughter under 10.

We figured his son would have at least 2, also thought his younger brother would also have one or two, but neither happened to carry on his last name.

Quote:
I have three friends who had babies at 45 or 46! With no fertility treatments involved, just natural conception. All three babies were boys and all are healthy. I'm happy for them, although personally 35 was my age limit. My mom was 43 when I was born and though she was a great parent, I didn't want to be that old when I had kids.

The gal I went to school with was about 44. Her son will be 12 next month. I swear he is keeping them younger looking.

He's such a cute kid too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I had 3 kids by 25. My husband was 10 years older and didn’t want more if I died so he had a vasectomy. If he had died I might have wanted one more with a new husband. It makes sense to have the older one be sterilized if you decide on that route.

I had an IUD to start, when it needed to come out, he got snipped, mostly because it's easier for the male as an office procedure. He went Friday morning, was working by Monday.

For a woman, it's surgery. I didn't realize there were so many ways to do that surgery. Back when I was Tasha's age, it was a pretty invasive procedure.

If her hub were to get snipped, it's easy for them to bank some sperm for a few years in case they do change their minds.

Look at Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue who just turned 63. He was snipped many years ago, had it reversed, has a daughter that's 1 1/2. That to me is crazy lol Kind of like Tony Randall who had his last 2 kids in his late 70's

Old 12-16-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You two will figure out what's right for you and your relationship. I always knew I wanted at least one.

Our plan is still not to have children. The pregnancy scare^^ just had us talking about it again ofc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I didn't have kids with my hub which I do regret not trying to have one. I was about 35. he was about 43. His son was an adult, my son was a teen with my daughter under 10.

I’m so sorry you have a regret about it. My POV is that we are super lucky to have found each other even tho my husband is in his 40s.

edit: AND if we had met 10 yrs ago it wouldn’t have made a difference. I would have been too young for him & too young to think about pregnancy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by TashaPosh; 12-16-2021 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness