Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 PM

190 posts, read 543,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
I was skating with my daughter in our neighborhood skating rink, the blade on my skate got inbeded in the ice, while my body turned my leg stayed put!! I still remember it clearly.. My poor daughter was beside herself...
It took six long month for my tib (bone) to fused together, had x-rays every month with high expectations hoping my bones were healing fast!
And yes left the hospital feeling more depressed.
The swelling was there for a very long time, I think up to least a year!!
I took all my vitamines faithfully..
You should at least make some phone calls and ask around to see how long the wait is to see another OS. You shouldn't have to live in misery. Come on you can do it!!!

Nel
Dear Nel, Since terrorizer is only 16 and lives in the wonderful world of socialized medicine and so she cant can't a second opinion for up to I year, I went online and found out that SHRINERS Hospital for Children covers all med expenses for kids up to 18 and they do orthopaedics...Monica

Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 PM

190 posts, read 543,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Awwww, Monica, I am so sorry. You could always do what I do when I get bored, tired and frustrated - take a nap. Or join facebook and we can play games. LOL
Hi Hon, are you back from your trip????? How was it? I bet you and you family had a great time. I have just been so frustrated. I want to walk, I want to walk, I want to walk !!!!!!!! I have actually trying to do it without my walker. I have been taking baby steps but i am so dam afraid of doing more damage, even though dr. said I could put as much weight on it as I could stand. anyway, glad to have you back, tell me how your trip was!!!!

monica

Old 01-02-2009, 11:06 PM

19 posts, read 81,389 times
Hello,
I've been trying to get an answer to this but its not easy. Maybe some of you could help me?
I fractured my Tibia in four places in August 24th 08. I had screws put in with a Rod. And now I have pain in my ankle where most of the screws are.
Is there anyone who has had screws in their ankle and had pain, then had them removed and the pain was gone?
Or is it possible if I wait a little longer that maybe the pain will just go away?
Has anyone left in the screws and been relatively pain free?
I don't have any insurance so I wouldn't want to spend the money if time will heal it. I know I should speak with my Doctor but its impossible to get any kind of straight answer......

thanks a ton for anything you guys could offer!!

Blck Dmnd

Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 AM

175 posts, read 741,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axinom07 View Post
Hi Hon, are you back from your trip????? How was it? I bet you and you family had a great time. I have just been so frustrated. I want to walk, I want to walk, I want to walk !!!!!!!! I have actually trying to do it without my walker. I have been taking baby steps but i am so dam afraid of doing more damage, even though dr. said I could put as much weight on it as I could stand. anyway, glad to have you back, tell me how your trip was!!!!

monica
We haven't left yet - we leave in one week (the 10th.) I just found out my brother and his family are going, too, so that should be fun.

I've been going stir crazy lately. The lack of freedom is killing me. I'm sick of sitting on the couch all day, and I'm dying to just get in the car and drive somewhere. And on top of all that, it's the wrong time of the month, and now I have a sore throat and stuffy head. Can we pile anything else on here?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:39 AM

175 posts, read 741,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
Hello,
I've been trying to get an answer to this but its not easy. Maybe some of you could help me?
I fractured my Tibia in four places in August 24th 08. I had screws put in with a Rod. And now I have pain in my ankle where most of the screws are.
Is there anyone who has had screws in their ankle and had pain, then had them removed and the pain was gone?
Or is it possible if I wait a little longer that maybe the pain will just go away?
Has anyone left in the screws and been relatively pain free?
I don't have any insurance so I wouldn't want to spend the money if time will heal it. I know I should speak with my Doctor but its impossible to get any kind of straight answer......

thanks a ton for anything you guys could offer!!

Blck Dmnd
I don't have the answers you are looking for, but I just want to say that I hope the pain gets better for you soon.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:56 AM

117 posts, read 699,682 times
Default axinom07

Quote:
Originally Posted by axinom07 View Post
Dear Nel, Since terrorizer is only 16 and lives in the wonderful world of socialized medicine and so she cant can't a second opinion for up to I year, I went online and found out that SHRINERS Hospital for Children covers all med expenses for kids up to 18 and they do orthopaedics...Monica

Thank you for the info.
I haven't really had a chance to read all the threads, I haven't gone on this website in a long time.
Happy healing to you girl. Like I said thank goodness for this website otherwise I would've gone mental..
I just checked into the Shriners hospital and found a number in Canada for Terrorizer.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:00 AM

117 posts, read 699,682 times
Terrorizer,
here is a number you can call or get your mom to call here in Canada.
Shriners Hospital for Children. 1-800-361-7256
Please you have to give it a try...
You need to get better!!

Keep posting your thoughts girl, it really helps. Were all here to listen and help!!

Nel

Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 AM

29 posts, read 91,335 times
Hey all!
Well, Im fairly sure the bone is growing because now its not just a bump I can feel But I can start to see it when I look at my leg.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:35 PM

28 posts, read 175,542 times
BroncoRam,

I broke my Tibia and Fibula on August 29, 2008 (right leg). Had similar surgery to you. It took a few months to regain full motion in my right knee. They had to disturb the knee in order to drill to put the rod in. I can't tell you exactly how long it took, it really wasn't until I read your post that I realized that it hadn't been bothering me anymore. I just tend to learn to live with things that hurt (and I've really only had minor pain the vast majority of the time). I had been taking lots of ibuprofen for the first couple of months (as much to control inflamation as pain) but over the past few weeks, I have pretty much stopped taking it. If I walk too far, my ankle hurts and it almost always "aches" but not so bad as to interfere with doing anything.

Of course, I'm not pregnant (nor could I be as I 'm male ) so I imagine that your pregnancy complicates things because it probably limits what and how much medication you can take in addition to exacerbating the physical discomfort.

I agree that you probably should do as much as you can. My surgery was in Maine but I live in NJ and my follow-up was here so the Dr. was more conservative. I was not at all weight bearing for 4 weeks and I am sure that slowed my recovery. By the time you have your baby, I'm sure you will be mobile enough to enjoy your new "bundle of joy".

Best of luck!

Josh

Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 PM

28 posts, read 175,542 times
Black Diamond,

I had similar surgery August 29th after a fracture of my tibia and fibula. I still have ankle pain and some pain in my instep. I don't know if it's from the screws but it does seem to be getting better (albeit more slowly recently) I'm not one to complain and I'm able to walk and do just about everything I need to and want to. I am assuming that the pain will continue to fade over time and with exercise. I hope that yours does as well Best of luck to you.

Josh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness