Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM

27 posts, read 119,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyklou View Post
Hey New Guy,
Welcome. I am also almost week in a shoe. Walking is great but still pretty tough.

Joy
It's good to hear you are on your feet. I also find it very difficult to walk. My ankle is very tender and I find it tough to walk a normal stride, even with a cane. The outside of my ankle and the area where my foot meets my ankle is quite sore and swells easily. I find it best to walk slow deliberate short strides. I am interested to hear what you are experiencing.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 AM

51 posts, read 186,856 times
Hello - glad to find this thread as hoping to find some answers to likely common questions.

I slipped on ice, dislocated my foot and broke tib/fib and tore off ligaments. Had surgery 2 weeks ago, plates, rods and screws. Still unable to put my foot down for more than a couple of minutes as feels like my cast will strangle my foot and my toes go purple. My toes are always tingly and feel freezing (though are warm to touch) Is this normal?

I react to pain meds so take nothing all day and only take a couple of Tylenol 3 at night, and still have a lot of pain. I thought by 2 weeks after surgery that it would just be an inconvenience, not totally painful and useless. Woke up with much pain last night (almost as bad as the day after surgery) - screaming and moaning - scared the heck out of my husband - not sure if part of it was just a memory - I must have had a leg jerk during the night that slammed a nerve?

I am told I cannot do any weight bearing for 6 - 8 weeks. Will be having this cast off on April 1 to check the surgery, then will be recasted (is that when they would give an aircast?)

My mom has been here taking care of me but leaves tonight - I am now able to get to the bathroom alone, and have figured out showering/bathing, but don't know what I will do about carrying around food/drinks . Anyone have good advice for doing this pretty much on my own for a couple of days until my in-laws come? My children will be home after school, and hubby later after work, so it is only daytime I have to worry about. Someone can help me downstairs and I can sit here all day until someone comes home later.

Thanks for any advice on what is normal to feel at this stage, and tips on how I can become more independent...

Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 PM

21 posts, read 119,801 times
Anyone here JUST broken/fractured/stress fractured their fibula?

So many people here have had terrible injuries. I'm looking for someone who's had similar to mine. At worst, mine is a stress fracture of the fibula (but now they're saying it might not even be a stress fracture - i think).

Either way, they're looking to have a plate fitted soonish. If i read a case where someone has broken their tibia in 3 places & fibula in 7 then their case will be a bit different to mine.

I'm wondering what to expect. Others (with just the fibula) recovery time.

I'm aware of infection risk, but more importantly, AFTERWARDS......the risk of not being able to do certain activities due to a plate being fitted.

Right now i can do everything a 'normal' person can do. Some things cause discomfort (i.e. running, football(soccer) for long periods of time)

What i'm really asking is, has anyone found here that they've gone from being able to do something like that with a bit of discomfort pre-plate to totally being unable to do those activities post-plate??

Any pointers you would give for someone who's expecting to have this surgery?

All i'm told is the plate will need to be 'thicker' (than what, i don't know)

Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
Hi Nanny its hard to describe to metal strangulation. Feels like I have a built in ankle brace that just keeps tightening at times. When I move feel the metal tightening maybe its just the ankle but it just feels like put a brace on and tightening it that it is just there with tightening motion. Wish I could describe it better because it just drives me insane like that plate pins, screws if were not there the ankle could move better. But I still am able to bear some weight on it. cristina I like that book idea seems like that would be whole lot simpler trying to balance yourself.
I experienced a similar sensation, for me it was caused by the swelling around the ankle. As I moved my foot up towards my body it would feel as thought a bandage around my ankle was tightening. As time went on and the swelling went down the sensation lessened. I don't feel it anymore.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek411 View Post
Hello - glad to find this thread as hoping to find some answers to likely common questions.

I slipped on ice, dislocated my foot and broke tib/fib and tore off ligaments. Had surgery 2 weeks ago, plates, rods and screws. Still unable to put my foot down for more than a couple of minutes as feels like my cast will strangle my foot and my toes go purple. My toes are always tingly and feel freezing (though are warm to touch) Is this normal?

I react to pain meds so take nothing all day and only take a couple of Tylenol 3 at night, and still have a lot of pain. I thought by 2 weeks after surgery that it would just be an inconvenience, not totally painful and useless. Woke up with much pain last night (almost as bad as the day after surgery) - screaming and moaning - scared the heck out of my husband - not sure if part of it was just a memory - I must have had a leg jerk during the night that slammed a nerve?

I am told I cannot do any weight bearing for 6 - 8 weeks. Will be having this cast off on April 1 to check the surgery, then will be recasted (is that when they would give an aircast?)

My mom has been here taking care of me but leaves tonight - I am now able to get to the bathroom alone, and have figured out showering/bathing, but don't know what I will do about carrying around food/drinks . Anyone have good advice for doing this pretty much on my own for a couple of days until my in-laws come? My children will be home after school, and hubby later after work, so it is only daytime I have to worry about. Someone can help me downstairs and I can sit here all day until someone comes home later.

Thanks for any advice on what is normal to feel at this stage, and tips on how I can become more independent...

I too had issues with taking care of myself in the begining.
My husband works out of state and was only home the first week after surgery.
What kind of equipment do you have access to ?
I started with a walker. My husband took some old waitress aprons I had and tied them to the walker, which I kept my meds and items I needed daily in. Maybe an old purse or backpack would help. As far as beverages, I bought me a bottle which had a ring and a clip on it (walmart). Was able to slip a finger through it and hold while using the walker. Works the same with crutches. When grocery shopping, I bought individually wrapped items or things that can be put in a ziplock for snacking or made sandwiches .
Soon after, someone offered me a wheel chair. The wheel chair came in very handy. It is a lot easier to transport meals and laundry in your lap.
I gained a lot more independence with the wheel chair.
Now I am strictly on crutches, actually one crutch and I try to wear clothes that have pockets, and get what I think I will need for a while and camp out on the couch or wherever.
Have hubby, or kids set you up for the day to where you need little to get by. Maybe even put a cooler by your favorite chair/couch with drinks and fruits and snacks.
I took my laundry hamper, slipped a dog leash through one of the holes(rope would work) and drug it with me back and forth to the laundry room. This could also work for items you want to carry.
Hope this helps.
Happy Healing !

Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:

I did not use crutches, instead I used a knee walker that included a small basket. Renting this was the best decision I made. I was really mobile and never struggled to get around the house or supermarket, etc... I even went for short walks with my wife. I could not imagine how much more difficult my ordeal would have been if I tried to get around in crutches. Below I included a link to a site which appears to have a knee walker similar to the one I used, but I think mine was better. I don't remember right now the phone number to the company that I rented it from, however when I get home I will get it off the walker and post it tomorrow. This thing is so good that even though I got in a shoe last week I kept it around for evenings when my ankle is just to tired to walk in. Insurance paid for the rental and the company shipped it second day air.

Nova Knee Cruiser TKC-8 | Replaces Turning Leg Caddy TLC-6 and TLC9 | Recover from foot or ankle surgery | Knee Walker

Old 03-23-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:

This is a follow up to my earlier post. Have a look at the link below. This is what my knee walker was like except mine had 4 wheels. But very similar.

Weil Knee Walker | Turning Leg Caddy | Recover from foot or ankle surgery | 1 Leg Walker

Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks - I do have the walker but am trying to use the crutches as I can get myself downstairs with them - maybe I could have them bring the walker down here and use it to transport things instead of returning it to the med shop! Good idea!

Yes, I thought they could pack me a lunch box and set it up near my couch. I plan on having the children do most of the laundry stuff - I can fold on my lap but they can do the carrying to and from... They are just too used to having Grandma here doing everything this past week that I used to so haven't done much to help out yet.

I think I have a bottle with a clip, and could wear a belt to clip things like that on. Unfortunately with my house layout a wheelchair would not work - I wish it would as it would make things much easier!

How long ago was your injury, and how long before you were able to put your foot down? I always worry about this strange feeling , especially the freezing toes - I can't do anything to make them more comfortable - have a sock on them, rub them (though it hurts) - the foot is not cold to the touch, it is only me who feels it is freezing! don't get my cast changed or see my doctor until April 1 and waited in the walk-in clinic for 3 hours last week just to be my doctor's note so don't feel like going back to wait (my doctor is away for 4 months and I can't even get an appointment with his locum!)

Thanks for your quick response!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM

That knee walker looks like it would be really useful for some things and may be able to even get me back to work sooner. I am worried about driving, then trying to get out of my car and into work, or around at work as I am not very good at all on crutches - I think that would give me a lot more confidence. I will have to see if they rent them from the medical supplies shop near the hospital. Thanks, I have never seen them before.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks - I do have the walker but am trying to use the crutches as I can get myself downstairs with them - maybe I could have them bring the walker down here and use it to transport things instead of returning it to the med shop! Good idea!

Yes, I thought they could pack me a lunch box and set it up near my couch. I plan on having the children do most of the laundry stuff - I can fold on my lap but they can do the carrying to and from... They are just too used to having Grandma here doing everything this past week that I used to so haven't done much to help out yet.

I think I have a bottle with a clip, and could wear a belt to clip things like that on. Unfortunately with my house layout a wheelchair would not work - I wish it would as it would make things much easier!

How long ago was your injury, and how long before you were able to put your foot down? I always worry about this strange feeling , especially the freezing toes - I can't do anything to make them more comfortable - have a sock on them, rub them (though it hurts) - the foot is not cold to the touch, it is only me who feels it is freezing! don't get my cast changed or see my doctor until April 1 and waited in the walk-in clinic for 3 hours last week just to be my doctor's note so don't feel like going back to wait (my doctor is away for 4 months and I can't even get an appointment with his locum!)

Thanks for your quick response!
I broke my right ankle and left clavicle on Jan 24th. I was told I could start walking 10 days ago. For the first couple of days it was very difficult to take even a single step, and I am in very good shape. Unfortunately, my doctor did not prepare me for what I was about to experience when he told me to start walking. I had a twisting fracture so I did a fair amount of soft tissue damage; tendons / ligaments. If your break is similar, don't set your expectations too high when you first get in a shoe. It's now 10 days later and I am still having a fair amount of difficulty and pain, I walk very slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness