Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 11:43 AM

16 posts, read 50,337 times

Advertisements

Thanks Nanny...I was beginning to think that this ROM would never improve over time...At least i know its fairly normal..My therapist said I could start running in 3 months..That would b 6 months post op...But at the moment I def dont have the ROM to run...Im starting in the Hydrotherapy pool soon..Would this increase my ROM...Thanks again much appreciated!

Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 PM

20 posts, read 100,115 times
Wow, Another site with broken leg stories. I have been frequenting mybrokenleg.com for the last two months as I sit at home. I will have to read all the stories here as well. Tried to stand on a chair to paint, fell off and multiple fx of tibia/fibia and ankle. Have a IM nail and screws. My time line is

5/24 - tib/fib fx + lateral malleolus break, IM rod + 4 screws for tib
6/1 - remove staples and splint - DARTH on, PT start, NWB
6/22 - Outpatient PT, WBAT with DARTH
7/15 - FWB with DARTH and back to work on 7/20, PT as usual, Walk with cane

Last edited by AmitC; 07-18-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 PM

189 posts, read 795,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33333 View Post
Thanks Nanny...I was beginning to think that this ROM would never improve over time...At least i know its fairly normal..My therapist said I could start running in 3 months..That would b 6 months post op...But at the moment I def dont have the ROM to run...Im starting in the Hydrotherapy pool soon..Would this increase my ROM...Thanks again much appreciated!

Yes, the pool therapy is great! I started getting in a pool when I was still NWB and it helped me alot. As I progressed I began taking water aerobics, had to modify many of the moves, but it was really good to be able to move around and exercise, I was able to do much more in the water than out. As my ankle got stronger I started using a kickboard and swim fins. I was cautious using the fins at first, they really give your ankle a workout, I started doing just a little with smaller fins and gradually worked up to regular fins and swimming/kicking up to a mile 3 times a week.

You have to really be careful getting in and out of the pool and walking/crutching around the pool deck area. I would get to a chair or bench that was close to the pool and take my boot off, get down on the floor on my butt and scoot in the pool that way. When I was still using the walker, I would just use it to get to the steps going into the pool and leave it there to use when getting out. Also a pair of water shoes helps to keep from slipping. I think I read on here where someone else used rubber bands to put dish cloths on the end of their crutches for more traction around the pool. So plan ahead and you will do just fine, it also helps if you have someone that can go with you if you need a little help.
Goodluck!
Nanny

Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 AM

Yes, the pool therapy is great! I started getting in a pool when I was still NWB and it helped me alot. As I progressed I began taking water aerobics, had to modify many of the moves, but it was really good to be able to move around and exercise, I was able to do much more in the water than out. As my ankle got stronger I started using a kickboard and swim fins. I was cautious using the fins at first, they really give your ankle a workout, I started doing just a little with smaller fins and gradually worked up to regular fins and swimming/kicking up to a mile 3 times a week.

You have to really be careful getting in and out of the pool and walking/crutching around the pool deck area. I would get to a chair or bench that was close to the pool and take my boot off, get down on the floor on my butt and scoot in the pool that way. When I was still using the walker, I would just use it to get to the steps going into the pool and leave it there to use when getting out. Also a pair of water shoes helps to keep from slipping. I think I read on here where someone else used rubber bands to put dish cloths on the end of their crutches for more traction around the pool. So plan ahead and you will do just fine, it also helps if you have someone that can go with you if you need a little help.
Goodluck!
Nanny

Thanks very much...Its good 2 get advice from someone who has been there...The docs and therapist dont explain everything and I suppose they dont have the time either...Didnt think a broken ankle wud be this much hassle and rehab needed!!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,404 times
Default messed up leg

wow i have read some of your guys posts and i feel bad. 112 days ago i was in a bmx accident and had a plate and 8 screws put in my leg. on the 87 day or so i got a walking cast and was able to walk with no crutches around my 100th day. i got my cast of yesterday and i have a boot. i can walk fully with the boot but still a little instable with my alone leg. the pain stopped about 3 weeks or a month months after surgery. i have full feeling and no pain so i guess im a fast healer. ohh and on friday i walked home from summer school with my cast (no cruth) its about 3 miles took me 2 hours.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:35 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
I had terrible pain for along time. The metal had to come out due to body rejecting it. After the hardware was out it felt great!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalonginagony View Post
Hello there, Have just broken my tib and fib, had surgery on sunday to add a plate and some screws. Home on Monday. Been put in plaster from below knee to toes, told that it is weight bearing,...I wish! Please could someone reassure me that the tremendous excrutiating feeling of blood rushing to the foot, filling the plaster so tight that I think its going to split, pins and needles, numb toes are all normal when standing up.
When seated just perfectly uncomfortable, and the feeling that the bandage is all ruched up inside the cast
Have a bed and breakfast to run, so have to be standing for quite a few hours in the morning and up and down during the day, finding life difficult.
I never realised how awful a broken leg was.
i also broke my tib and fib, and the blood issue botherd me for about 2 weeks, i would come home from school everyday and elevate my leg bc that was all that would help it. once i stood up the throbbing would return

Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM

189 posts, read 795,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I had terrible pain for along time. The metal had to come out due to body rejecting it. After the hardware was out it felt great!

Just curious...........how long was your hardware in before it had to be taken out? And what type of symptoms were you having?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,295 times
Default A fall

While walking over railroad tracks slipped and broke the bones in leg and dislocated ankle joint...had an external fixator for about 8 days then got skin infection...surgery was modified and delayed..so have external fixator for 4 1/2 weeks and 4 screws...after reading eveyone's post fear I have a long road ahead. Have been laying with leg elevated for last month..but am getting tired of doing this and would like to resume my desk job from home..any suggestions and advice...this is getting so depressing

Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 AM

Just back frommy general doctor(g.p) as he wanted to check up on me on how im doing..Its been 3 months since surgery and my ROM is terrible...He also agreed that this was very bad..He thinks i will need to have my hardware removed because my foot will not move any further..Its very frustrating..I was hoping to go bak 2 work and thought i was making progress.He said i cant go bak 2 work for another 3months...I was hoping that after 6 months Id b able to play football again...I dont want to go thru surgery again..worst and most frustrating time of my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.