Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 PM

139 posts, read 588,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyes42 View Post
Does anyone have an suggestions on comfy positions for sleeping ??? I was so glad when I got my split and brace off and no longer had to sleep on back, but now after being up and around all day i am so tired and sore i cannot sleep. My hips hurt and my knee on injured leg is stiff and in such pain that i cannot find a good position to sleep. I could really use some suggestions.

thanks
margie
Margie what I had to do is buy a bed topper cannot sleep on my bed sleep on my futon so that I can lay on side with two pillows at end and also I too put a pillow in between legs to get comfortable with the futon in sofa position. Cannot sleep in my bed just still cannot get comfortable. Bev

Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM

139 posts, read 588,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile, just got back from a week in Florida visiting my in-laws. Again, walking in the sand still pretty challenging. Also flew for the first time and got through security without setting off the alarms...yeah!

I was on my feet alot and am having some new pains. My ankle and foot feels pretty good, but I am having pain in my shin where the metal plate is on my tibia. I have not had much pain in this area up to this point. I am wondering if it could be shin splints, it is painful to walk and very tender to touch. I have not had much pain in this area at all and am wondering if it is because my muscles are working more in that area now and am just getting sore because they are waking up and having to work again. I would appreciate anyone's input or suggestions on this.

It is good to hear how everyone is progressing! Bev, I know how you feel worried about doing this on your own. My PT was so helpful to me, I am missing her now as these new pains develop. It was always so re-assuring to know what I was going through was normal as I progressed. She told me to just call if I needed anything , and I may just do that if this pain continues.

Take care everyone!

Nanny
Nanny does sound like shin splints. When I got shin splints I had to go back to crutches until it cleared up . The crutches took entire wt off shin area. When they xrayed the shin you see like cuts along the shin bone and that it shin splints. OS also had me ace wrap the area also. Maybe that will help you. So glad you had a good time was wondering why we have not heard from you but I figured you went on vacation and was having a wonderful relaxing time. Bev

Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,535 times
I broke my tib in 2 places with an addition of several spiral fractures. I also broke my fib in the process. I did this on easter sunday 2009 racing motocross. I just got the cast off at about 12 weeks and now the dr gave me a tib fracture brace. Its been a couple of weeks with the brace and about half of the swelling has gone down in my ankle area. Does anyone have an idea of how long i will be in the tib brace before i can get back to physical activity. Im really going stirr crazy bc of not being active. Also the dr gave me a ton of little exercises to do with my foot. Any ideas for a speedy recovery will be helpfull!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 AM

189 posts, read 795,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
Nanny does sound like shin splints. When I got shin splints I had to go back to crutches until it cleared up . The crutches took entire wt off shin area. When they xrayed the shin you see like cuts along the shin bone and that it shin splints. OS also had me ace wrap the area also. Maybe that will help you. So glad you had a good time was wondering why we have not heard from you but I figured you went on vacation and was having a wonderful relaxing time. Bev

Thanks Bev, I appreciate the help. I did have a good vacation, spent time with family that we don't get to see often. Rode a bike everyday, did my exercises in the pool, and also worked on walking in the sand and in the water at the beach. Am going to do my best to deal with "shin splints" and will call my OS if needed. Thanks for all your support on here!

Nanny

Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09JShipman View Post
I broke my tib in 2 places with an addition of several spiral fractures. I also broke my fib in the process. I did this on easter sunday 2009 racing motocross. I just got the cast off at about 12 weeks and now the dr gave me a tib fracture brace. Its been a couple of weeks with the brace and about half of the swelling has gone down in my ankle area. Does anyone have an idea of how long i will be in the tib brace before i can get back to physical activity. Im really going stirr crazy bc of not being active. Also the dr gave me a ton of little exercises to do my foot. Any ideas for a speedy recovery will be helpfull!

So sorry about your injuries! Glad you found this site, you will find alot of helpful info. I can tell you everyone heals differently and how soon you get back to physical activities varies from person to person. It sounds like you are very active and I am guessing in pretty good shape since you race motocross. Just make sure you do what your OS tells you and don't try to do too much too soon, you definately don't want a setback. Do the foot exercises several times a day, at least 3-4 times or more if you can, it will help with your ROM.

Also start PT as soon as possible, if your Dr. has not prescribed it yet, call and ask how soon you can start. I started PT at about 6 weeks post op, I was in an aircast walking boot and NWB, but it really helped as the PT gave me exercises for my leg to help wake up and strengthen my leg, it helped so very much. Also, if you have access to a pool (once your incisions are all healed), being in the water can help tons too!

I am also very active, worked for a horse trainer and was used to hard work and being on my feet all day. I think the toughest part of all this was being immobile and restricted on what I was able to do.....it really drove me nuts at times!! At almost 6 months after my injury, I am still dealing with pain, swelling and getting the complete ROM in my ankle. I have to pace myself and ice and elevate 2-3 times a day. It is coming along well, but now possibly dealing with shin splints. My OS told me it can take up to a good year to feel "normal" again. I am hopeful that I will have a complete recovery with more time.

I hope this info is helpful, keep reading the stories on here, they are encouraging and will help to fight the boredom. Take care and goodluck with your recovery!

Nanny

Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 AM

41 posts, read 117,086 times
hey nanny good to see you on here i got those shoes yeah i can put weight on that foot with them on its hard but i take baby steps with my crutches so getting some were im also going to be getting a second opinion so thank god but it has been so cold hare in nh have not been able to get in the pool the high has been like 50 very cold glad you had a good vacation

Old 07-09-2009, 07:33 AM

5 posts, read 29,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
Paul,

So sorry about your setback, I hope you improve quickly. As I read your post, I was a little concerned about your taking ibuprofen. I was told by my OS that ibuprofen is not good for bone growth. My OS gave me the ok to take it at about 5 months post injury, but not any sooner. I know others have posted similar info on here.

I don't want to alarm you, maybe your OS feels it is ok at this point if you are healing well, but you may want to double check.

Take care, and I hope you continue to heal well!

Nanny
Nanny,

Thanks so much for the tip on the ibuprofen! I hadn't heard that before. I did write that I was taking in on my evaluation at doctor's on Tuesday, but he made no comment about it. I'll ask him about it, and in the meantime am trying Tylenol to see if that works for me.

Leg is especially painful for some reason this morning. Not sure if I walked too much on it yesterday, or slept funny on it. We'll see how Tylenol works.

Thanks again!

Paul

Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyes View Post
hey nanny good to see you on here i got those shoes yeah i can put weight on that foot with them on its hard but i take baby steps with my crutches so getting some were im also going to be getting a second opinion so thank god but it has been so cold hare in nh have not been able to get in the pool the high has been like 50 very cold glad you had a good vacation

Hi Blueeyes,
Glad you got the shoes finally! Keep going with the baby steps.......that is what it takes. Also good to hear you are going to get a second opinion, let us know how it goes!
Nanny

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 AM

51 posts, read 159,912 times
Nanny of2, I havent been back here for a while..Been busy..I am still doin therapy and prob will be for a long time. The Tibia plateau fracture with the knee being shattered is what i have been told is the worst place you can shatter but i am walking. trying the heel to toe more and have to think about bending my leg constantly. QUESTION for ANYONE here!! Have any one of you tried the ZCoil shoes? OMG they are awesome! They are the ones that have the coil on the heel. I have 2 pr now. They are about 250 dollars but take 50% of the impact from walking on your body. After wearing them then putting my old shoes back on the old shoes feel hard. For anyone here with hip,leg or back pain you should try them.
I am still having trouble walking but am getting better. Its been about 4 and a half mos since tib/plateau fracture surgery..Nanny you are certainly an inspiration for all of us. Everyone hang in there it gets better with every week behind us..Mike

Old 07-10-2009, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 69,413 times
Default broken fib and tib

Hello there, Have just broken my tib and fib, had surgery on sunday to add a plate and some screws. Home on Monday. Been put in plaster from below knee to toes, told that it is weight bearing,...I wish! Please could someone reassure me that the tremendous excrutiating feeling of blood rushing to the foot, filling the plaster so tight that I think its going to split, pins and needles, numb toes are all normal when standing up.
When seated just perfectly uncomfortable, and the feeling that the bandage is all ruched up inside the cast
Have a bed and breakfast to run, so have to be standing for quite a few hours in the morning and up and down during the day, finding life difficult.
I never realised how awful a broken leg was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness