Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
Hey Roselvr and everyone else

Sorry for the lousy post...im in a foul mood. Thanks for your concern Roselvr! Hope your doing well. To everyone, get well soon and good luck.
Thank you for checking in, I was getting worried about you!
Have to take my teen to the orthodontist, will write more later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axinom07 View Post
Dear R.
Yes, I agree, there is mch more to life that heels just, unfotunately not for me. One great things I had going for me was my looks and my figure. I love to dress up, now an integral part of me is just gone forever. It may not sound impt to you, but to somene who has grown up in NY where we always dressed to the nines, now I dont even have that. No kids a mediocre relatonship at best. Cant do any of the things I did enjoy doing (see prior post). Believe me, I know I am lucky to still have my foot (1 for the pro column) but i'm on perc 10's, can't get higher that that unless I switch to oxycontin (dont want t do that). But they hardly help. Doc ordered PT back on 12 /16 and I couldnt get an appt till 2 weeks later. I have one of the best OS in Columbia, so I ont think he would rec. PT unless I had enough healing. I know the pain is bone and nerve because it's already been addressed with the dr and the PT. I'm on Neurontin to help with nerve regrowth They say what I am experiencing is normal due o nerve damage/and or regrowth.

I have no college, live in a small pissant town where jobs are impossible to come by. If it weren't for my common law husband I'd be in the street. Literally.

I'm not like this everyday. It's just been starting to get worse these past couple of weeks.

Oh did I mention, I lost my job totaled my car, no collision, had no savings and so ow I am basically indigent and in debt up to my ass. My med bills are upwards over $200,000. Thank god I have ins, but that still means I am at least 30,000 in med. debt, Oh and the best part is this, because I have insurance, I am NOT eligible for charitible writeoffs. "THAT" is for people who have No insurance. What about the rest of us poor slobs who have lost everything,nevermind loss of income and everything else. I also just found out that even though I go twice a year for dental cleanings and x-rays, that my old dentist is a total boob. My new one could not believe what he let go down in my mouth and so NOW I need several thousands of dollars of work in my mouth. S0 after all of that, If I have had a few days here and there out of the past couple of weeks, I think I'm doing well. Nothing short of a financial windfall of the lottery could take the mental pain away at this point.

Thank you though for trying
Trust me, you are not the only one going through this..
Get rid of the neurontin, it's only going to make your mood worst.
Get the oxycontin. Are the percocette you are taking brand or generic?
FWIW, BRAND IS MUCH MUCH BETTER. sorry, hit the caps lock...
I'm on 10's too, if I take a generic 10, I need 3 to equal what 1 brand does. I might as well not take anything.

I'm also on oxycontin and said the same thing as you.. don't want to take it. Let me tell you it does make a difference and they do not make generic any more (made everyone puke) so this might actually be your answer if you can;t afford brand perc.

They will give you the lowest oxy dose - this will allow you to heal then you can get off of them. Just police yourself to not over take them and you will be fine. People worry about addiction, so far I've never had the addiction problem & have been taking them for years.

I'm from North Jersey originally and used to hang out in Manhattan so yes I know about night life & dressing. Right now this is temporary, so why stress or get depressed over something that's temporary?

The car - yes that sucks.
Not working... heck, neither have I for 10 years almost.
Medical bills - you arent telling me anything I don't know. Thankfully I have insurance through my hubby, he married me just at the right time, mine was costing me $300 per month around 1999. As a single parent I couldn't afford it.

Well guess what? His insurance is so ****ty that none of my doctors were in plan. $150 per month for pain management. Scripts cost me anywhere from $400 - over $1000 per month. Right now it;'s steadily been averaging close to $400 which is 1/2 what I've been spending,.

I finally got medicare - guess what? They won;t cover till his insurance covers and the medication plan, well it would be cheaper through them (meds would b about $100 per month) but since hubbys insurance covers part they won't pay. So I am stuck in this loop. All of my cash goes towards meds every month.

You are young, you will recover.
You will find a new job and then pay your stuff back.
You will be fine. It will be hard but everyone is having a hard life right now with the recession.

Hopefully you'll find yourself a nice man and get married have some kids...

Get off of the neurontin asap. The side effects aren't worth the pain it stops. I'd rather have the pain then those side effects again. I will never take that or that new one for fibro.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:03 PM

190 posts, read 543,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thank you for checking in, I was getting worried about you!
Have to take my teen to the orthodontist, will write more later.

Trust me, you are not the only one going through this..
Get rid of the neurontin, it's only going to make your mood worst.
Get the oxycontin. Are the percocette you are taking brand or generic?
FWIW, BRAND IS MUCH MUCH BETTER. sorry, hit the caps lock...
I'm on 10's too, if I take a generic 10, I need 3 to equal what 1 brand does. I might as well not take anything.

I'm also on oxycontin and said the same thing as you.. don't want to take it. Let me tell you it does make a difference and they do not make generic any more (made everyone puke) so this might actually be your answer if you can;t afford brand perc.

They will give you the lowest oxy dose - this will allow you to heal then you can get off of them. Just police yourself to not over take them and you will be fine. People worry about addiction, so far I've never had the addiction problem & have been taking them for years.

I'm from North Jersey originally and used to hang out in Manhattan so yes I know about night life & dressing. Right now this is temporary, so why stress or get depressed over something that's temporary?

The car - yes that sucks.
Not working... heck, neither have I for 10 years almost.
Medical bills - you arent telling me anything I don't know. Thankfully I have insurance through my hubby, he married me just at the right time, mine was costing me $300 per month around 1999. As a single parent I couldn't afford it.

Well guess what? His insurance is so ****ty that none of my doctors were in plan. $150 per month for pain management. Scripts cost me anywhere from $400 - over $1000 per month. Right now it;'s steadily been averaging close to $400 which is 1/2 what I've been spending,.

I finally got medicare - guess what? They won;t cover till his insurance covers and the medication plan, well it would be cheaper through them (meds would b about $100 per month) but since hubbys insurance covers part they won't pay. So I am stuck in this loop. All of my cash goes towards meds every month.

You are young, you will recover.
You will find a new job and then pay your stuff back.
You will be fine. It will be hard but everyone is having a hard life right now with the recession.

Hopefully you'll find yourself a nice man and get married have some kids...

Get off of the neurontin asap. The side effects aren't worth the pain it stops. I'd rather have the pain then those side effects again. I will never take that or that new one for fibro.
Hey, thanks so much for the uplift. I think what happens is that every couple of weeks, it just kind of builds up and crashes in on me for a day or so. (maybe a little more) I got it out of my system yesterday though and I am feeling back to my old perky self. You def. put things in perspective for me because thank goodness at least our ins is pretty decent and my scripts aren't running more than $40 total. And my hubby is a great guy, if a little on the (ouch) boring side, but he has taken the best of care of me through this whole thing.. I do have to say though that for me the NEurontin saved me from a hellish existence of horriffic pain. I felt like my leg was on fire (like 3rd degree burn fire) all the time, but within a few days of being on it I had total relief. I also dont feel any side effects from it. I'll have to look up on line and see what they are. Thanks for the advice re. the brands vs. generic. I had thought that before with other drugs but figured it was all in my head... This month I will try brand name!!! thanks!!! Monica

HOLY COW!!!!!!!! I just called the pharmacy to see how much the brand would me and for 180 of them would $980 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So xnay on brand name this month or ever, but hey, thanks anyway!!!

Last edited by axinom07; 02-06-2009 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: updated info

Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM

139 posts, read 588,223 times
I am 3 weeks post op since my accident of left fracture shattered tibula,fibula with screws and pins it it and its been horrible and I have a high tolerance of pain and this is the worse and wonder if I will every be the same but reading everyones blog here helped me to understand what to expect. I have a cam boot because of surgery and injury and start my first therapy on Monday but in looking at it you wonder will the swelling ever go down. How long did it take most of you out there for the swelling to go down I know I have such a long way to go but reading everyones story helped me so much. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axinom07 View Post
Hey, thanks so much for the uplift. I think what happens is that every couple of weeks, it just kind of builds up and crashes in on me for a day or so. (maybe a little more) I got it out of my system yesterday though and I am feeling back to my old perky self. You def. put things in perspective for me because thank goodness at least our ins is pretty decent and my scripts aren't running more than $40 total. And my hubby is a great guy, if a little on the (ouch) boring side, but he has taken the best of care of me through this whole thing.. I do have to say though that for me the NEurontin saved me from a hellish existence of horriffic pain. I felt like my leg was on fire (like 3rd degree burn fire) all the time, but within a few days of being on it I had total relief. I also dont feel any side effects from it. I'll have to look up on line and see what they are. Thanks for the advice re. the brands vs. generic. I had thought that before with other drugs but figured it was all in my head... This month I will try brand name!!! thanks!!! Monica

HOLY COW!!!!!!!! I just called the pharmacy to see how much the brand would me and for 180 of them would $980 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So xnay on brand name this month or ever, but hey, thanks anyway!!!
Talk to the pharmacy to see if your insurance will cover more if the doctor checks the box that says not to substitute with generic. Some insurances will pay it that way.

I'm serious though, if you can only get generic, try the oxycontin. It's not as addictive as people make it out to be. For some reason it won't get you stoned when you need it for pain. My dad said the same thing when he had to take it.

You're going to have bad days where you are so down.. finding someone to vent to helps, like coming here. Although I've had it hard, I read stories here and know others have it worst then me. I do have my days where I just want to be 6ft under..

You're very lucky to have an understanding man, some of us don't. It makes all of the difference in the world.

I was on neurontin for maybe a month. At one point my son & I went to DMV, I couldn't remember why I was there. I would drive and have no clue where I was going. I was not able to think clearly. It's great for pain but for me I have to be able to think or run to my kids school.

LYRICA was the other drug I won't take

Try to smile. This too will pass.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:18 PM

190 posts, read 543,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
I am 3 weeks post op since my accident of left fracture shattered tibula,fibula with screws and pins it it and its been horrible and I have a high tolerance of pain and this is the worse and wonder if I will every be the same but reading everyones blog here helped me to understand what to expect. I have a cam boot because of surgery and injury and start my first therapy on Monday but in looking at it you wonder will the swelling ever go down. How long did it take most of you out there for the swelling to go down I know I have such a long way to go but reading everyones story helped me so much. Thanks everyone.
Hi Bhosler: WOW, just 3 weeks in.... 3 weeks in I was still in an external fixation device, nevermind a cam boot (that came 3 mos later) you are very fortunate! I welcome you to the tib/fib club as I call it and as I tell all the newbies, I hate this hapened for you, but so glad you found all of us! This site has helped save my sanity at many times during this lonnnggggg PAINful recovery.. When I first found this site I read every post from page one and the main thing I learned is that everyone heals at their own pace. I think that depending on how bad your injury is will determine how long your aswelling will take to go down. I was injured on 10/21/08 and my foot has actually in the last week or so gotten to the point where it doesn't look like a balloon and I can feel my achilles tendon. I wasn't allowed to start PT till the same time as when I got my cam boot. I still can't put full weight on it either. I shattered my entire foot, ankle and compound frac. f the tib (multile fracs.) I thought it wold never get better, but this week I actually started taking a afternoon walk with my walker of course weather permitting. Luckinly I live in SC and yes, we get down to freezing but in the afternoon we hit betwen 50-65 degrees.
I followed alot of advice I found on this site such as taking tons of calcium, vit. D, milk, yogurt, potassium (prevents leg cramps). If you are NWB and have nothing better to do, sit and read thru the site and it will def. teach you a lot.
I wish you speedy healing and hope to see you (hear) on the site to let us kow how you are doing. If you want to see what my injury was like click on my user name then look at my album. I need to post more current pics because the difference is unreal!
Good Luck!! Monica

Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 10,700 times
I stumbled (pardon the pun) onto this web site today, and after reading a few posts thought I'd join and post myself. I'm a 46 year old male, that through some sort of miracle has never broken any bones in his life. Until about two weeks ago, when I slipped on my neighbor's driveway (that's right, no exciting stories about ski accidents here folks). I ended up with a spiral break to the tibia and a break to the fibula as well. They did surgery that same night, nail and screws on the tibia, nothing on the fibula, and sent me home the next day. There's no cast or boot, or other support, I'm just told not to put any weight on it, and to elevate and ice it. Yesterday I got the staples out, surgeon says things are healing well (not the bone, just the incisions), come back in 4 weeks for more xrays, and stay off it. She said maybe then I'll get a "boot" and be able to put "some" weight on it. To me the frustration comes from this weird combination of numbness and pain, alternating from time to time. Although the pain seems to be getting less. I'm down to one vicodin along with a tylenol, every 4 hours, and tried to cut down one of those vicodins during the day today, which didn't go so well. I honestly had no idea that breaking a leg would mean not walking for months, and the prospect is, well, pretty much a bummer. My wife and daughter have been great through all of this. So, when can I drive, and how exactly is it done?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:54 PM

68 posts, read 291,384 times
Welcome to our thread. It has been good therapy for me. I am about 7 weeks post op. Shattered tib and fib. Plates and screws in both. I am still non weight bearing but pretty much pain free. Vicodin at night to sleep sometimes. The doc tells me it will be about 3 months before i will walk again on my own. I am however driving as of this week. Not going very far because i am driving with my left foot. Oh what a feeling to get my freedom back. Hang in there and welcome!!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 PM

68 posts, read 291,384 times
Welcome Bhosler, The swelling will get better. After 7 weeks, as long as i keep my leg elevated i only have swelling at night. I have not started therapy yet. That may be a different story when i do. Good luck!!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:19 PM

29 posts, read 91,341 times
Hey all!
I want to ask a queston to you all- hoping someone has an answer since my docter just said wait it out over the next months and if things change see him again. Over the last 20 months I have had cellulitis reoccur atleast 8 times. Each time I have been given oral antibiotics (Keflex), the last time for a 4 weeks which was back in september/october 2008. Around new years eve the red blotch that is on the front of my right shin when I get an infetion returned along with alot of pain. The pain had mostly gone since then but the blotch is still there. it looked like it was going away but now seems as if it is slowly, slowly, slowly getting larger. My mum just says I am over reacting or I pay to much attention to it...but its a big concern. Over the last 20 months many blood tests have come back negative to infection but an infection always occurs. My questions are:
1) Could this be a something chronic?
2) Could this be a symptom of something else?
3) Why does the blotch reaper and stay there? and,
4) What should i do???
Any answers would be of help. Its driving me nuts knowing that theres something wrong but nobody knowing what. I need to get past these last reminents of my broken leg...its almost been 3 years now.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 PM

175 posts, read 741,553 times
Welcome to the newbies and sorry that you have found yourself in a position where this board is helpful to you.

Swelling - ugh! I'm still swelling a lot. I'm down to the block of wood look - my foot, ankle and lower calf are all the same width and reminds me of a block of wood. my foot is about twice the size of the other one. Very pretty *snort*

Driving - I'm still not driving and Monday will make 11 weeks. As much as I am tempted to try the left foot thing, my husband gives me that "Are you nuts" speech and I back down. I really really miss my freedom, though. UGH!

mscottring, I fell on the ice, too. Funny story, though. I met a guy who told me that he broke his tib/fib in Colorado where he went on a ski trip. I asked how much skiing he was able to do before the injury and he just laughed. Apparently he arrived in Colorado, parked at the hotel, got out of the car and slipped on the ice. So I felt a little better that I was just on my way to work when I did that!

Take care all, and remember that patience now will result in good things later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness