Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 07:35 PM

7,255 posts, read 5,131,727 times

Advertisements

More important question-- why has he been prescribed NTG?...It's a symptomatic treatment only and archaic...If he has symptomatic coronary occlusions, has re-vascularization (angioplasty/stenting/CABG) been considered? Has he been treated with meds to maintain a HR below 60?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 10:25 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My fiancé was just prescribed nitroglycerin for angina. I want him to take the pills with him while at work etc in case he needs them. However they can’t be exposed to heat, so how can he carry them in summer? He works a trade and may or may not be in air conditioned buildings. Does anyone here carry these tablets i their daily lives?

I had heart surgery over 20 years ago

I've had unopened vials of NTG in my pocket ever since. They've never been opened, except once when chest pains sent me to hospital for an angio and 2 stents ( a year after my surgery)

I replace the sealed bottles every 3-4 months. There is also a vial in MrsM's purse and my Dopp Kit for travel. Those are also replaced every 3-4 months

So, why do I carry something that I never use?

It keeps the elephants away!

Old 03-30-2022, 11:12 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
is it still recommended not to remove/transfer the tabs out of their original container?

we used to give 6 month expiration on them. can't remember where we got that info but it was somewhere trustworthy, maybe a journal article. it's been more than a few years so the memory bank is a bit fuzzy.

remember the drugs are not shipped in refrigerated trucks, at least not from the wholesaler. short excursions into higher than room temp are probably fine.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:33 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I've seen metal vials hanging on a chain, around the neck. This way, they are always available quickly to anyone that needs to assist him, if he gets in trouble. Much like a pendant.
That sounds like a good idea, but I can't see him agreeing to wear a pendant.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
is it still recommended not to remove/transfer the tabs out of their original container?

we used to give 6 month expiration on them. can't remember where we got that info but it was somewhere trustworthy, maybe a journal article. it's been more than a few years so the memory bank is a bit fuzzy.

remember the drugs are not shipped in refrigerated trucks, at least not from the wholesaler. short excursions into higher than room temp are probably fine.
That's a good point, his were mailed to him. Yes, they have to only have contact with glass. The carrier I saw accommodated the original bottle, you just put the whole thing in there then you can clip it to a belt.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I had heart surgery over 20 years ago

I've had unopened vials of NTG in my pocket ever since. They've never been opened, except once when chest pains sent me to hospital for an angio and 2 stents ( a year after my surgery)

I replace the sealed bottles every 3-4 months. There is also a vial in MrsM's purse and my Dopp Kit for travel. Those are also replaced every 3-4 months

So, why do I carry something that I never use?

It keeps the elephants away!
LOL! I didn't know about the expiration. I'll have to look at his prescription online and see how often we can replace them.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:05 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
LOL! I didn't know about the expiration. I'll have to look at his prescription online and see how often we can replace them.

The shelf life is longer than expiration if kept in pocket. I pay extra for peace of mind

Old 03-31-2022, 01:29 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
I found one of these keyring NG tablet holders on a sidewalk once. It didn't have any keys on it and it had little pills inside of it. I thought it was a good idea, because people generally don't forget their keys which means they can't forget their pills.

https://www.amazon.com/CIELO-Nitrogl...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Old 03-31-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The shelf life is longer than expiration if kept in pocket. I pay extra for peace of mind
What do you mean pay extra? Or kept in pocket?

Old 03-31-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I found one of these keyring NG tablet holders on a sidewalk once. It didn't have any keys on it and it had little pills inside of it. I thought it was a good idea, because people generally don't forget their keys which means they can't forget their pills.

https://www.amazon.com/CIELO-Nitrogl...f_=as_li_ss_tl
I read not to put the pills in another container it should stay in the glass container. The one I saw was more like this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6870961..._click=1&frs=1

You put the whole bottle in it. I can’t find the website right now, it’s on my laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness