Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 09:29 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Since when to do teeth cause headaches
Teeth issues, and specifically grinding, have caused headaches since the beginning of time. Maybe you should admit that maybe these doctors know more than you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 09:53 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,177,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why the heck aren't you asking these doctors "I don't understand. Why and How did you come to that conclusion?"

True Sleep apnea story. At 85 my father FINALLY agreed to a CPAP. He had a heart attack before the thing was delivered to his home.

Nose sprays? You might be glad the doctor wouldn't give you one. Ever heard of rebound?
I only use it once at night before bed if I am stuffed up before going to bed. When I wake up with a stuffed up sinuses then I will use it. A lot of times I noticed an over the counter sinus pill that drains my sinuses helps with the headache but never lay down or it will really stuff up worse in my head and nose.

He refused immediately upon looking into my mouth. He was more concerned with my teeth and mouth than my nose and my ears. He also at one time refused to help me with my itchy ears. I suspect the problem is mostly due to he has a audiologist in his office that I complained about to another facility with the same brand of hearing aid. He must have found out I made a complaint about her not him just her and how they are not fixing the problem with the hearing aids. Never buy the ones with the rubber dome.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:45 PM
KCZ

4,668 posts, read 3,662,281 times
Quote:
Oh I wasn't I just mentioned to my Endocrinologist about my headaches and that sound when my sinus are stuffed up. She then thought it was sleep apnea. The two Doctors who assumed I have, not wondered, were quick to offer a prescription to get one. When I said no they told me to at least go for the test. Oh then it's go for the test. the ENT Doctor gave me a lame excuse that I have headaches when I wake up from my teeth. Yes I know another poster here said that's their job look over other medical possibilities but to assume I don't already have a Dentist that would tell I grind my crowns wouldn't tell me this makes me think he has no business even checking my teeth. Since when to do teeth cause headaches when I clearly said my sinuses are stuffed up when I lay down. I sit up and both headache and stuffy nose go away.

He just didn't want to give a Rx for nasal spray but never explained why other than he assumed it was my teeth. This was after an article on the internet said most people are not seeing their Dentist as much as they should. It is suspicious to me.

Just like teeth grinding can be associated with sleep aprea, teeth grinding can also cause your headaches. The facial muscle tension from persistent grinding produces headaches, and when you stop grinding, sit up and relax, the headaches go away.

Sounds to me like you're fortunate to have some pretty sharp doctors.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:20 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Just like teeth grinding can be associated with sleep aprea, teeth grinding can also cause your headaches. The facial muscle tension from persistent grinding produces headaches, and when you stop grinding, sit up and relax, the headaches go away.

Sounds to me like you're fortunate to have some pretty sharp doctors.
Spot on. I've been an active tooth grinder/jaw clencher for many years and have the tooth and jaw damage to prove it. Any MD who deals with maxillofacial health issues could take a quick look inside my mouth and see the evidence. An uncorrected bite as a kid set me up for all this trouble but it became noticeable in my 30s. Started waking up most mornings with facial (yep, sinus) and jaw pain, headaches and neck problems. It probably affected my sleep too, but at that time I was usually physically exhausted every night enough to mask it. Luckily I've never suffered noticeable sleep apnea or sinus problems, but IMO it isn't a stretch that both could be associated with tooth grinding/jaw clenching habits.

Sick and tired of being miserable, I started looking for a solution and my GP connected me with a dentist known for treating TMJ and bruxism. He explained what was going on (I'd never heard of either...information about them wasn't mainstream back then), repaired my teeth, outfitted me with a custom nightguard that prevented further damage, and prescribed a course of PT. Yes, PT. The musculature of your jaw is interconnected with your entire skull including of course your face, your neck and shoulders. The headaches and facial pain disappeared in just a few days. He couldn't re-align my bite without maxillofacial surgery and even then wasn't confident how much, so we didn't take that route. I've worn a nightguard religiously ever since and learned a set of stretches and exercise that targets TMJ. They can't totally stop the underlying cause, but they can make a significant difference in your life.

Have to agree...the OP's doctors are most likely seeing a bigger picture than he is. He should listen.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-05-2022 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-05-2022, 02:27 PM

2,649 posts, read 1,177,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Spot on. I've been an active tooth grinder/jaw clencher for many years and have the tooth and jaw damage to prove it. Any MD who deals with maxillofacial health issues could take a quick look inside my mouth and see the evidence. An uncorrected bite as a kid set me up for all this trouble but it became noticeable in my 30s. Started waking up most mornings with facial (yep, sinus) and jaw pain, headaches and neck problems. It probably affected my sleep too, but at that time I was usually physically exhausted every night enough to mask it. Luckily I've never suffered noticeable sleep apnea or sinus problems, but IMO it isn't a stretch that both could be associated with tooth grinding/jaw clenching habits.

Sick and tired of being miserable, I started looking for a solution and my GP connected me with a dentist known for treating TMJ and bruxism. He explained what was going on (I'd never heard of either...information about them wasn't mainstream back then), repaired my teeth, outfitted me with a custom nightguard that prevented further damage, and prescribed a course of PT. Yes, PT. The musculature of your jaw is interconnected with your entire skull including of course your face, your neck and shoulders. The headaches and facial pain disappeared in just a few days. He couldn't re-align my bite without maxillofacial surgery and even then wasn't confident how much, so we didn't take that route. I've worn a nightguard religiously ever since and learned a set of stretches and exercise that targets TMJ. It can't totally stop the underlying cause, but it can make a significant difference.

Have to agree...the OP's doctors are most likely seeing a bigger picture than he is. He should listen.

I am going to make a doctor appointment for a sleep test. Now I have to know even though I am scared of wearing one of those things.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:38 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
Quote:
I am going to make a doctor appointment for a sleep test. Now I have to know even though I am scared of wearing one of those things.
They aren't that bad. And they can save your life - don't let vanity get in the way of that.

If I don't wear my mask, I wake up with "sinus issues" and headaches. It's because you aren't getting enough oxygen and your "sinuses" clog because you are likely breathing through your mouth trying to get enough air. The mask will prevent that.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:35 PM

17,565 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
The Endocrinologist and Eye Doctor said I have sleep apnea. When I said no I don't they said go for the test and see if I do have it or not. The ENT Doctor I will not see again. I am so against wearing that thing and I keep thinking how do I know I wake up from not breathing during the night when it's their contraption that I have no clue how to be sure it's not going to just say I stop breathing when I don't. Maybe having asthma is what makes them assume I have sleep apnea or the napping when home in the afternoon when the hot sun comes into my small unit. I couldn't sleep last night from napping at 5pm to 6:30pm I drank a bottle of water and that was the worse thing to do. Water gives me energy so from now on I will drink water at lunch time 12 noon to keep me awake. I should go for a walk to keep up I hate to with my sore ankles and toes but I have to try. I finally had to take an over the counter sleeping pill and finally fell asleep around 3pm. Woke up around 10 am. Now my sleep routine is way off.

If you re not happy, find new doctors. Nothing we can do here to help you

Old 04-05-2022, 10:00 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Ok Not sure how to ask this question but here goes it.

I went to an ENT Doctor about headaches due to my sinuses being so clogged and when they are clogged in my nose I get loud sounds in my head, and I wake up with those sounds and a headache. When I sit up for a about 15 minutes my sinuses clear up and my headache goes away. I only have one vent in my bedroom so I don't get enough air circulation which could contribute to the problem. Also I smacked my forehead a few years ago and that sound which is best described as an distorted acoustic sound started about 3 years later. I had a scan done and so far nothing of concern found.

The ENT Doctor refused to prescribe nasal spray that I desperately needed to make my sinus clear up while I sleep. This Doctor looked all around inside my mouth more that he barely bothered to look into my ears and nose. He said I grind my teeth see a Dentist. What an ass that one is. He is not a Dentist so why the hell is is pretending to know about my teeth. I suspect that is because a journalist got bored or just simply need something to make up to write about on the internet. I say that because I did see an article a few weeks on the internet saying people do not go to their Dentist as often as they should. So this ENT Doctor figures that's my problem, grinding my teeth. He had no clue I see my Dentist more often than usual due to getting crowns replaced, root canal, and other work done.

Ok so I tell the same symptoms to my endocrinologist that told my ENT Doctor. Headaches, acoustic sound when my sinuses are stuffed up, and it goes away when I sit up for abbot 15 minutes. This Doctor tells me it's my sugar. I'm like what my sugar stuffs up my sinuses and creates that acoustic sound?? Well my sugar is a bit high since covid. But my A1c is the same from the last two years. She tells me I have sleep apnea and need to have that CPAP contraption to wear at night. I'm not wearing that thing on my face.

About a year later, maybe later, I go to my Eye Doctor because I felt like my eye might be getting an infection. This one discovers an eye infection and prescribes eye drops 3x a day. She also tells me I have sleep apnea, what why would she say that? I never told about stuffed up sinus, headaches, or that acoustic sound in my head when my sinuses are stuffed up. Then tells me women with large breasts and overweight get sleep apnea. She tries to scare by saying it will cause heart problems, and then rattles off a slew of medical problems sleep apnea can cause. I dread going back for a follow up with this one.

I have an oximeter I frequently use so my oxygen is fine so is my heart rate. I don't have high blood pressure. After being away 5 hours many times I need a nap. I wasn't sure if it was from boredom being inside all day or not getting enough sleep. I did notice one thing I didn't keep up with and that is not drinking enough plain water in the morning after coffee and breakfast. Water helps get a boost of energy.

What is going on with these Doctors. An ENT is a Dentist all of a sudden. An Endocrinologist is a Pulmonary Doctor all of a sudden. Now an eye Doctor is an expert on large breasted patients with the assumption that the patient based on size is not breathing while sleeping. Sorry this is long I wasn't sure how to phrase it all without repeating.
Hmmmm....

There's got to be something in common, with all these doctors... now, what could that be?...

Old 04-06-2022, 08:38 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,664,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Me, either. I went to a dentist, who specializes in diagnosing and custom-making dental inserts for the apnea issue. First, he takes x-rays of the nasal and throat passages, to see if the patient is a good candidate for the device. He was incredibly well-informed about sleep issues, more so than the so-called "sleep experts" or "sleep doctors" who run the sleep studies. He said, that estrogen loss after a certain age causes apnea in women. Replace the estrogen (via HRT) and it goes away or improves.

I don't know if that's relevant to your situation, but I just thought I'd mention it. If you're a good candidate for it, HRT seems to be to be a much simpler solution than buying or renting a machine and carting it around with you when you travel.
When I talked to my doctor about those dental inserts he strongly warned me against them as they cause your jaw bones to out of alignment without fixing the actual apnea problem, or looking for other causes.

Last edited by Heidi60; 04-06-2022 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-06-2022, 08:58 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,664,831 times
Default You can do this!

Quote:
I was resistant to the idea of apnea at first also because it isn't an obvious problem, like a broken finger, but it slowly takes over everything!

Some facilities are using a take home finger device to sleep with one night as sort of a preliminary test to see whether you need a full overnight study. This might be an easier method for you to get some basic information. The overnight study isn't a bad thing, just time consuming but if you do get a CPAP machine, after a month or so you will have a lot more energy. Your body gets so depleted from the low oxygen and insufficient rest that it will take a little time to recover so don't expect an overnight cure, but a gradual improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness