Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 11:54 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Go get yourself a blood glucose meter and accompanying generic strips. Nothing fancy and without the features.
Do not identify yourself as a D1 or D2 at any pharmacy because, laws & regulations will force you into using a maintenance diabetic care program. They won't ask and if they do, don't answer positively.
That is not true in every state. I imagine it is in yours, but it is not in Pennsylvania. And unless things have changed in the past 6 years, it isn't true in North Carolina. Also not true, unless things have changed again over the past 8 and 12 years respectively, in Nevada and Indiana. Those are all the states I have practiced pharmacy in and we did not have any maintenance programs that self-identifying diabetics were required to use. The west coast, if your location is correct, tends to have governments that lean more towards being intrusive into people's lives however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 02:42 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
^How about prescribed meter and strips? Medicare?

Old 05-28-2022, 03:10 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
I went and got the glucose reader and i havent ate yet but my readings 6-7 hours after i ate

111mg/dl
115mg/dl
107mg/dl
118mg/dl

Old 05-28-2022, 04:02 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I went and got the glucose reader and i havent ate yet but my readings 6-7 hours after i ate

111mg/dl
115mg/dl
107mg/dl
118mg/dl
Medicine is symptom-based. It appears you had no symptoms either major or minor. You went into the doctor's office for a health assessment because of previous high BP readings. This is how you presented to the doctor and how he then assessed you. Any questions or concerns should have been addressed at the beginning as to why you were there and then any general health questions would have been asked in the context of your visit.

When doctors ask questions they are taught to ask open-ended general questions so as not to introduce symptoms into your conscious mind that you didn’t have at the time. We are all hypochondriacs so if doctors were to ask specific questions we would answer yes because of the power of suggestion. We all react as hypochondriacs which is why it is done that way.

The doctor did not feel like you had high blood blood sugar at the time otherwise he would have done an in-office blood glucose test. He did a general health appraisal assessment and will order blood tests. You are to be fasting for the blood test not only for the blood glucose but for the lipid panel that is to be done that is included in a general health assessment but also in evaluating hypertension. Evaluating hypertension involves much more laboratory testing. Thyroid testing in general is not a part of the general health assessment. It can be a part of the hypertension assessment. Thyroid abnormalities can give high blood pressure and if hyperthyroid an increase in pulse rate which I am sure they did there also.

I see no urgent medical needs being impressed upon the doctor. There should be a follow-up with the doctor with regards to your labs. The primary determinant is your asymptomatic high blood pressure and I am curious as to why more testing than simple blood testing isn’t being ordered.

Based on everything you have done I would avoid reading things on the internet that you have not vetted with your doctor. The internet can be used for good after you are diagnosed with something to fully educate yourself about any newly diagnosed condition. That’s my personal belief. You do seem to have a nervous aspect to things which can impact not only blood pressure but can influence history taking by the power of suggestion.

It is unclear whether your meter readings are fasting or non-fasting. I presume they are non-fasting. They are normal. They also have to be evaluated within the context of symptoms and when those symptoms occurred. The A1C should help alive any diabetes-related anxiety.

You need to wait for the rest of the labs and hope those turn out normal also. If there are no abnormalities and if there are no other medical suspicions of secondary hypertension then primary hypertension is still on the plate.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:45 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Medicine is symptom-based. It appears you had no symptoms either major or minor. You went into the doctor's office for a health assessment because of previous high BP readings. This is how you presented to the doctor and how he then assessed you. Any questions or concerns should have been addressed at the beginning as to why you were there and then any general health questions would have been asked in the context of your visit.

When doctors ask questions they are taught to ask open-ended general questions so as not to introduce symptoms into your conscious mind that you didn’t have at the time. We are all hypochondriacs so if doctors were to ask specific questions we would answer yes because of the power of suggestion. We all react as hypochondriacs which is why it is done that way.

The doctor did not feel like you had high blood blood sugar at the time otherwise he would have done an in-office blood glucose test. He did a general health appraisal assessment and will order blood tests. You are to be fasting for the blood test not only for the blood glucose but for the lipid panel that is to be done that is included in a general health assessment but also in evaluating hypertension. Evaluating hypertension involves much more laboratory testing. Thyroid testing in general is not a part of the general health assessment. It can be a part of the hypertension assessment. Thyroid abnormalities can give high blood pressure and if hyperthyroid an increase in pulse rate which I am sure they did there also.

I see no urgent medical needs being impressed upon the doctor. There should be a follow-up with the doctor with regards to your labs. The primary determinant is your asymptomatic high blood pressure and I am curious as to why more testing than simple blood testing isn’t being ordered.

Based on everything you have done I would avoid reading things on the internet that you have not vetted with your doctor. The internet can be used for good after you are diagnosed with something to fully educate yourself about any newly diagnosed condition. That’s my personal belief. You do seem to have a nervous aspect to things which can impact not only blood pressure but can influence history taking by the power of suggestion.

It is unclear whether your meter readings are fasting or non-fasting. I presume they are non-fasting. They are normal. They also have to be evaluated within the context of symptoms and when those symptoms occurred. The A1C should help alive any diabetes-related anxiety.

You need to wait for the rest of the labs and hope those turn out normal also. If there are no abnormalities and if there are no other medical suspicions of secondary hypertension then primary hypertension is still on the plate.
Those were taken roughly 7 hours after i had yogurt for breakfast

Old 05-28-2022, 05:46 PM

733 posts, read 465,635 times
Sounds like Diabetes Type 2 but your A1C result will definitely tell you for sure. Also, hypertension( high blood pressure).

Old 05-28-2022, 06:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
Quote:
He is only 25 years old

Old 05-28-2022, 06:41 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
He is only 25 years old
Yes, I knew that.
If prescribed meter and strips, OP may have to use a Diabetes management organization, even if not eligible for medicare.
There is a thread somewhere on CD about this.
YHMV

Old 05-29-2022, 01:31 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Glucose readers these days read higher than lab readings...you need an A1C test. Also take your blood sugar one hour after a high carb meal.

These readers you buy at the store are better for post meal readings than fasting glucose...they tend to read 10-20 mg/dl high...at least they did for me.

Old 05-29-2022, 04:45 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Medicare limits you to testing once to three times daily without a prescriber getting an over-ride from them (will pay for test strips either only once daily or three times daily), but they don't have a system of identifying if one is type 1 or type 2

Quote:

111mg/dl
115mg/dl
107mg/dl
118mg/dl
That's a little high for nearly fasting. However, you should test it 8 to 12 hours after eating to get a more clear picture. I hope you'll be getting the lab results soon and I hope you were fasting then.

Quote:
Those were taken roughly 7 hours after i had yogurt for breakfast
Yogurt could have lots of sugar in it. I wish it would have been 8 hours and then for sure it would have been high. I'm just really not sure if an hour makes much of a difference. I would think not too much, but then you just don't know. Like I said, I really hope you did that lab work when you were fasting or else you may not be able to determine much. Diabetes can be diagnosed on fasting lab work, a 2-hr glucose challenge (at least that was still done 10 years ago) and I think now they include A1C. I can't remember if they need to have two results, though I think it's always best to get a second blood draw just to be sure. Unless of course your A1C is like 9 or more (something way high), then you know you have diabetes (so it should be considered as a basis for a diagnosis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Glucose readers these days read higher than lab readings...you need an A1C test. Also take your blood sugar one hour after a high carb meal.

These readers you buy at the store are better for post meal readings than fasting glucose...they tend to read 10-20 mg/dl high...at least they did for me.
Wasn't aware of that; never had any of my patients say anything like that, but then I don't talk to them much about their glucose readings like their endocrinologist or primary care physician would. If that is the case, then the OP should be okay perhaps. Man, if it's not diabetes I don't know what is going on with him. There's obviously something, his physiology isn't presenting the way a normal person's (without health issues) would (meaning he has legitimate complaints that need to be resolved in order to have a good quality of life).

The peeing all the time could be the result of a prostate issue, but he's only 25--not, I'm sure, that that's entirely unheard of. Then you have the eating all the time and still being hungry. Something's off about that. And thirsty too. Maybe a separate thyroid issue. So maybe both things going on but the one really, really rare (I would imagine for someone so young). It just would make more sense if just one thing is off with him (especially given his age). I hope he can find someone who can get to the bottom of this. Given my profession, I'm really curious as to what is going on!

Last edited by Basiliximab; 05-29-2022 at 04:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness