Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 03:27 PM

533 posts, read 481,987 times

Advertisements

TAVR in 2 weeks

So far there were mistakes from hospital
1. Three CT scans needed to be done at same time. Instead 2 were scheduled one day, 1 was scheduled a week later. At last minute, the 2 were cancelled. Caused disruption to difficult schedule and delayed life-saving treatment for a week

2. After taking with Manager and emphasizing that patient has sensitive skin, the CT radiologist was still reckless with placing IV. Patient has painful bruise a week after CT scan

At least the Surgeon calls back if Patient wants to speak

UPDATE: Patient wants to postpone till certain things are clear and are taking care of at home. Still nervewracked about the whole things.

Right now I am paralyzed with fear of human error on hospital's end.

Last edited by Priya36; 06-10-2022 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 06:43 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
Right now I am paralyzed with fear of human error on hospital's end.
IIRC in other threads various people have suggested that your tendency to catastrophize everything isn't helping your relative prepare for or cope with his medical procedures. If you cannot find a better way to manage your fears, he would probably be better off having someone calmer and more level headed assist him. So many of your questions are more appropriate for his providers, not total strangers on the web. Maybe it would be best if you take step back from all this. If he needs time to think about or make home preparations for his upcoming TAVR he can postpone everything. However, doing so will mean he'll lose his place on the schedule. If time is of the essence, that may not be advisable. If your anxiety is contributing to his indecision that's not helpful.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-10-2022 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-10-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IIRC in other threads various people have suggested that your tendency to catastrophize everything isn't helping your relative prepare for or cope with his medical procedures. If you cannot find a better way to manage your fears, he would probably be better off having someone calmer and more level headed assist him. So many of your questions are more appropriate for his providers, not total strangers on the web. Maybe it would be best if you take step back from all this. If he needs time to think about or make home preparations for his upcoming TAVR he can postpone everything. However, doing so will mean he'll lose his place on the schedule. If time is of the essence, that may not be advisable. If your anxiety is contributing to his indecision that's not helpful.
What is IIRC

There is no one else to help him

He says allow him to make home preparations , then he will do TAVR

He had faith in God and faith in Surgeon’s abilities; just that the hospital disappointed him.

Plus there is some office politics with the cardiology dept because the Surgeons secretary is not in. Other staff keep saying she will return to work the next day. But when next day comes another person says they don’t know when she will return.

One lady in cardiology scheduling was quite interested in the fact that the Secretary was out than assisting us.

Even the voicemail of the cardiology door changed (before it was the secretary, now it is sine ie else)

And the admin in hand (who are nice people) are not in top of what is going on as the Secretary knew a lot of things and was quite helpful and compassionate.

One lady didn’t know name if the Surgeon!

God is in the small things, right now some small things are not clear to Patient.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:38 PM

1,147 posts, read 863,305 times
Priya, I sense that you might be an immigrant based on your English but also based on cultural differences. It can be hard being an immigrant here and it takes time getting accustomed to the different mindset of how things are done here. This country can be a hectic society that can seem impersonal at times and indifferent to the needs of people. In other countries and other societies the pace might seem more comfortable and leisure and more personal when dealing with other people.

Let god give you strength in emtions and in wisdom in dealings that seem to bring you fear and apprehension. It might seem like you are alone in this country and feel disparate but there are others who are capable of showing compassion. I am sure there are people who will help you out. The doctor is aware of the process and it might not be a smooth process at times.

There's a lot of fear and anxiety that you are dealing with and you might want to talk to others about those fears in relation to yourself and your uncle. There are issues of death and issues of stroke and what it might mean to you as a caregiver and the added stress that brings.

So try not to panic and engulf yourself with negative reactionary thoughts and try to maintain a calm manner that others find more receptive in working with. Be polite but firm in your dealing and calls and ask to speak to managers if you feel things are not getting done.

I hope you do well and succeed in helping your uncle but I also hope you deal with those issues I mentioned that might be bothering you because they can impact your interactions with people.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:39 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
IIRC=if I remember correctly; if I recall correctly

TAVR is a minimally invasive surgery to replace the Aortic Valve. I had mine almost 3 years ago. I had to be at the hospital early in the morning and within hours I was prepped and wheeled into the cath lab. When they were done they woke me up and I had little to no pain and I felt better immediately. I did accept pain meds because my back was hurting from not moving for hours after surgery. Many patients go home the next morning. I was home before noon. There are some restrictions, but most are easily dealt with.

FWIW I had open heart surgery 2 years before my TAVR. He is lucky he is a candidate. The bruise from the CT contrast will go away over time. If they go through his groin he will have major bruising from the catheters that are inserted. My groin bruising was the worst part of the whole procedure. Took a few days to start fading and stop interfering with my life.

I'd do it again if I had to, just like OHS.

Last edited by myrc60; 06-10-2022 at 09:11 PM..

Old 06-11-2022, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Priya, I sense that you might be an immigrant based on your English but also based on cultural differences. It can be hard being an immigrant here and it takes time getting accustomed to the different mindset of how things are done here. This country can be a hectic society that can seem impersonal at times and indifferent to the needs of people. In other countries and other societies the pace might seem more comfortable and leisure and more personal when dealing with other people.

Let god give you strength in emtions and in wisdom in dealings that seem to bring you fear and apprehension. It might seem like you are alone in this country and feel disparate but there are others who are capable of showing compassion. I am sure there are people who will help you out. The doctor is aware of the process and it might not be a smooth process at times.

There's a lot of fear and anxiety that you are dealing with and you might want to talk to others about those fears in relation to yourself and your uncle. There are issues of death and issues of stroke and what it might mean to you as a caregiver and the added stress that brings.

So try not to panic and engulf yourself with negative reactionary thoughts and try to maintain a calm manner that others find more receptive in working with. Be polite but firm in your dealing and calls and ask to speak to managers if you feel things are not getting done.

I hope you do well and succeed in helping your uncle but I also hope you deal with those issues I mentioned that might be bothering you because they can impact your interactions with people.
My uncle wanted to do this procedure by the hospital (scheduling team especially) says one thing and does something else.

When I spoke to Dr about it he says there have been complaints about scheduling team by others.

As it is my Uncke said let’s go for TAVR and see what happens. Two things changed that

Yesterday, Went to urologist who gave false sense of security that he will be there while urodynamic testing is taking place. Urologist was in another room, but still charged copay.

Test was super painful during and after (the technician tried her best and even out topical numbing agent.

If he would have know, he would have never taken test. In other words, he is worse off after going to Dr. Best part is, the Dr belongs to same immigrant community, so he got false sense of security. Plus Dr keeps sending for tests and we are yet to see any test results (I may have to create separate thread fior your help)

I mentioned that Dr secretary is missing in action. That is the hay that broke the camel’s back and he said postpone

Then he got worried about what if surgery goes wrong what will happen to family, etc. so he is working on those matters too.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
IIRC=if I remember correctly; if I recall correctly

TAVR is a minimally invasive surgery to replace the Aortic Valve. I had mine almost 3 years ago. I had to be at the hospital early in the morning and within hours I was prepped and wheeled into the cath lab. When they were done they woke me up and I had little to no pain and I felt better immediately. I did accept pain meds because my back was hurting from not moving for hours after surgery. Many patients go home the next morning. I was home before noon. There are some restrictions, but most are easily dealt with.

FWIW I had open heart surgery 2 years before my TAVR. He is lucky he is a candidate. The bruise from the CT contrast will go away over time. If they go through his groin he will have major bruising from the catheters that are inserted. My groin bruising was the worst part of the whole procedure. Took a few days to start fading and stop interfering with my life.

I'd do it again if I had to, just like OHS.
Oh my that is horrible, ie the bruising, the pain

And nit being able to move your back?

Dr says he will stay in hospital overnight just to monitor him.

I’m upset that TAVR had to get postponed (luckily he doesn’t have outward symptoms), but if there is turbulence in other areas, then it’s better to proceed slowly.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:36 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
Oh my that is horrible, ie the bruising, the pain

And nit being able to move your back?

Dr says he will stay in hospital overnight just to monitor him.
Bruising is temporary just as the bruising he had after the CT scan injection. Pain is treatable is it not? As for not being able to "move your back" that is very temporary too...after a cardiac catherization the patient needs to lie flat and still for a few hours to allow the blood vessel they used to form a protective clot and prevent bleeding. I've had a cardiac catherization too. It was certainly preferable to recovering from open heart surgery! Being monitored overnight sounds very reasonable. You keep saying you're upset. Well, in all honesty your uncle would benefit most from someone who can control how upset they get. I am not trying to insult you, I just feel you need to help yourself in order to help your uncle.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-11-2022 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-11-2022, 11:46 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
This is a friend-of-a-friend story but it's about TAVR.

My friend's girlfriend's mother was cleared for TAVR at Stanford but she was terrified and said she wouldn't do it. She was going to go back home and die there. I don't know how they persuaded her to go ahead with the procedure but she did. It was flawless. All that worry and stress was for nothing.

At some point you have to trust your surgeon and their team.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:39 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
This is a friend-of-a-friend story but it's about TAVR.

My friend's girlfriend's mother was cleared for TAVR at Stanford but she was terrified and said she wouldn't do it. She was going to go back home and die there. I don't know how they persuaded her to go ahead with the procedure but she did. It was flawless. All that worry and stress was for nothing.

At some point you have to trust your surgeon and their team.
I've had numerous cardiac catherizations. TAVR is really no different, except they go through both sides of the groin and keep you overnight for observation. Sometimes they'll use another artery to perform the procedure, wrist and neck are those I remember.

Anything having to do with the heart is terrifying. Those that have had either minimally invasive or open heart surgery have had that feeling. Many of these procedures are very successfully performed on thousands+ every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness