Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 09:36 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,309 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this by saying I work in healthcare and work with A LOT of nurses, most of which are intelligent and capable.

Even still I find myself working with some that are stupid beyond words. I’ve read about nursing programs before and they tend to be rigorous so I’d expect a basic level of competency. Yet, I’ve worked with nurses that don’t know how many ounces are in a cup, get basic first aid procedures wrong, and get clients routinely mixed up. I’ve had to report it to supervisors at my company, but given how short staffed we’ve been at times they have a warm body and a degree policy. As long as you have a warm body and degree you’re in.

Most of the nurses I work with are older so I’m hoping it is just that nursing programs were less strict in the past and some bad ones just slipped through the cracks. I’m really hoping that’s the case as some are unsafe and they last until retirement age.

I’m asking this question sincerely as I’m just genuinely baffled and frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 06:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Think what judgemental aren't you ? There are stupid people in all walks of life or haven't you heard.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:29 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Think what judgemental aren't you ? There are stupid people in all walks of life or haven't you heard.
Unfortunately this is true. Some professions really should have a cutoff point though.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:53 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
There was one on our news yesterday saying Covid-19 is a hoax. An actual, credentialed RN. We've had a few who have said that and apparently they can't be fired for it since it's freedom of speech. But that's next level stupidity

Old 09-04-2020, 08:59 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
50% of the population has an IQ below 100. Doesn't leave a lot of smarts to go around.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-04-2020, 01:05 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Yet, I’ve worked with nurses that don’t know how many ounces are in a cup....
Slightly OT, but an ounce is a unit of weight, while a cup is a unit of volume. How many ounces are in a cup depends on what you are putting in a cup. A cup filled with lead is going to weigh more in ounces than a cup filled with water.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:26 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Hate to break it to you, but there are stupid people in every profession. People are people, and a certain percentage of people continue their normal practice of stupidity even when they have a degree.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:33 PM

213 posts, read 131,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We judge comedians and pageant contestants for their performance, why can't we judge the performance of workers who have people's actual freaking lives in their hands?
Nurses are especially no exception.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:05 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Slightly OT, but an ounce is a unit of weight, while a cup is a unit of volume. How many ounces are in a cup depends on what you are putting in a cup. A cup filled with lead is going to weigh more in ounces than a cup filled with water.

Holy cow. I do hope that you are not a nurse.

An 'ounce' can be a measure of volume, weight or force. Not all ounces are the same. A standard avoirdupois ounce is equal to 28.35 grams, while a troy ounce is equal to 31.10 grams. These are measures of weight.

A liquid ounce is completely different, it is a measure of volume. There are 8 ounces in a cup, 16 ounces in a pint...yada yada...up to 128 ounces in a gallon...a 'standard' gallon, that is, not an Imperial gallon.

How do you not know this? Do you not have any measuring cups in your cupboard?

Old 09-04-2020, 02:12 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Hate to break it to you, but there are stupid people in every profession. People are people, and a certain percentage of people continue their normal practice of stupidity even when they have a degree.
You are sooooooooo right there. I've known people with degrees, who couldn't pour 'p' out of a boot if the instructions weren't printed on the heel. Reminds me of a company commander I had in the Army...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness