Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 04:17 PM

93 posts, read 49,677 times

Advertisements

I can't stop scratching. I went to a dermatologist but the prescription says not to put it on cuts and scrapes which is what I have. I even bought eczema gloves today on Amazon so will get them tomorrow. On Wednesday and Saturday I was half asleep and scratch so much there was blood all over the bed sheets and now I have a bunch of peeled skin on my legs with blood on them. I am using Aquaphor. Once I scratch I can't stop. It even felt like an orgasm. It was strange. I need my normal skin back to normal even with hyperpigmentation and other stuff related to eczema and from scratching. I only scratch because it's itchy. I can't take this anymore. My skin doesn't even look normal. I HATE my skin!!! It's ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 04:37 PM

23,274 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Have you checked back with the dermatologist? If your prescription isn't working, tell them. The actual problem may not be your skin OP. Itching may be a symptom of something else. Putting something on your skin may not solve the actual underlying problem, only relieve symptoms temporarily. Did the dermatologist do any blood work to see whether there might a systemic health problem/deficiency/metabolic imbalance going on?

Here's some science behind itching/scratching:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284655

Old 04-24-2022, 04:40 PM

93 posts, read 49,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Have you checked back with the dermatologist? If your prescription isn't working, tell them about it. The problem may be more than skin deep OP. Did the dermatologist do any blood work to see whether there might a systemic health problem/deficiency/metabolic imbalance going on?

Here's some science behind itching/scratching:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284655

I did. He prescribed me this new one but can't use it.

Old 04-24-2022, 04:45 PM

23,274 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin2021 View Post
I did. He prescribed me this new one but can't use it.
Are you sure? Does he know how broken your skin is now? Again, keep him updated!

Old 04-24-2022, 04:48 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Have you done allergy testing? Or you could try to figure it out for yourself --any new food that you weren't eating before? Any new laundry soap? or new soap of any kind? Try eliminating a food for a week and see if it makes a difference.

I had a friend with severe eczema and when she was tested it turned out that she had become allergic to a lot of things, like feathers, dogs, cats, certain soap, skin products she was using. It can be just about anything.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:17 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
Us allergic types are prime candidates for eczema, unfortunately. I totally understand what you're going through. I've had my share of sleepless nights when I just can't calm my skin issues down.

I have nummular eczema on my legs and something similar called Grover's Disease on my chest and upper arms. I was prescribed Triamcinolone, a steroid, which sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't. Since it's a steroid, it can't be used on broken skin. Plus with steroids you can't use them more than two or maybe three weeks in a row without a break due to the side effects, including skin breakdown. So what to do during that break period??

Because of that I use Gold Bond Ultimate Relief Eczema Cream. It's worked well for me. It's steroid-free and I actually prefer it to the steroid cream - it's that effective. I told my dermatologist and he agreed that it's very effective - a lot of his patients use it. Why he didn't tell me about it, I don't know. I just started trying remedies and this one worked. I also buy the Walmart Equate brand equivalent - it's just as effective and a little cheaper. Another thing that helps, and heals too, is aloe vera gel. I had a terrible allergic reaction to meds a few years ago - head to toe giant hives - and none of the steroids helped at all. The aloe vera was the only thing that worked. Ice also helps, right on the lesions. Kind of awkward but in desperation I've tried everything I could think of. Aquaphor did absolutely nothing for me.

I imagine your dermatologist told you to keep your skin moisturized and not to use scented products. Fragrance-free has really helped me. I thought I was using fragrance-free products when I couldn't smell anything, but unless it's actually labeled fragrance-free or the equivalent, it's got fragrance in there somewhere.

Definitely speak with your dermatologist again. There are lots of different meds that can be tried . . . it's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.

Hope that helps and that you'll see improvement quickly.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:49 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
I don’t know what your underlying issue is OP, but I know for me that it tends to go away and come back when the air is dry. In my case, I think it is genetic because my mom also has dry skin issues and gets hand rashes. What do you use for your rash at night? I have anti-itch lotion and on occasion also have to use Benadryl or hydroxyzine (which is prescription). If you are scratching so much that you bleed at night, you may need to take Benadryl or something else to help with the itching. For others, you may just have to try different lotions to see what works for you. Apparently there are types to give you extra moisture and other products like Vaseline or the neutrogena hand cream that seal the moisture in.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:19 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
I've see a ton of commercials for Dupixent (Dupilumab) on TV nowadays, I think it's been around since 2017 and used to treat Atopic dermatitis.

Not sure how well it works or doesn't work, but they sure spend a ton of money on commercials!

Old 04-25-2022, 07:27 AM

7,333 posts, read 4,124,944 times
My son had horrible eczema. It was on his arms and back. We tried all the the different creams. What worked was a suntan.
The more color he had over the summer, the better his skin was over the winter. I don't know if it was a Vitamin D deficiency or if the sun dried out his skin. But, it worked.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:38 AM

1,367 posts, read 612,755 times
I get eczema flareups on occasion, and have had reactions to meds trying to control it.

I keep it at bay by using it everyday, and it has worked for me personally, with coconut oil. Not the white hard type that comes in a jar, but the liquid coconut oil that comes in a bottle.

I use it after each shower.

You can always google if coconut oil helps eczema before you try.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness