Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 09:44 PM

310 posts, read 323,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Yes they certainly are bad for you. Not sure if it's worse than sugar. These oils become rancid at high heat and I never heard about it until a decade ago. I blame what appears to be a forever skin problem I got 10 yrs ago on that heating of olive oil in my pasta, eggs and everything else for 20 years. Not one dermatologists can explain to me why I have a skin condition.
I seriously doubt your skin condition is because you cooked with olive oil. That makes zero sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2022, 08:01 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
It depends on whether the vegetable oil is high in oleic acid or not. Oleic acid is a reasonably beneficial for the body and fairly Heat stable. We haven't made a big transition towards high oleic oils yet we're still mostly using omega-6 oils. A lot of the problems with carbs and fats come from the fact that the Americans love to combine them. Studies have shown that an extremely high fat low-carb diet can be healthy but so can a zero fat high starch diet like the Asians used to eat.

The real health problems come from mixing refined carbohydrates with processed or non-processed fats. Think meat and potatoes burger and french fries, Donuts, potato chips, pizza, fried chicken, etc. Throw in the flavor of umami by adding MSG or yeast extract to make the food all that much more addictive. Load the item with sugar such as Pop-Tarts pies Etc and that's just an inflammation bomb right there.

Fat consumption causes a temporary insulin resistance effect while the refined carbohydrates act to boost the blood sugar to abnormally higher levels after meals. Gradually over time as a person gains weight their pancreas and liver can fill up with fat furthering insulin resistance and the development of metabolic syndrome. Alcohol, fructose, and fat consumption, together help trigger the buildup of visceral fat.

Avoiding mixing alcohol fats and carbs together along with avoiding overeating is the best way to optimize health.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-29-2022 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-29-2022, 11:33 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
Canola is a plant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
It's a type of rapeseed plant and grows well in cooler climates. Canada, being one of the biggest producers of rapeseed, recognized they had a marketing problem with the name. And thus, the name "canola" was born.
Thank you.

Old 10-29-2022, 04:09 PM

480 posts, read 317,141 times
There is so much pseudo science masquerading as fact on food etc.
Most everyone needs to remember that correlation does not equal causation.
Eating in moderation and decent exercise, both aerobic and anaerobic make for a healthy person.

Those you can control, do, and those factors you can't [age, genetics] don't worry about, though you can tailor your lifestyle to address the most impactful ones for yourself.

Most of these health 'gurus' are promoting bunk, potions and nostrums.

Old 10-30-2022, 07:52 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
One of the big sticking-points for me is the large amounts of omega-6 you get with most vegetable-oils.

I do not know if a somewhat skewed ratio for omega-6 and omega-3 EFAs is that big of a deal.

But ratios that are hugely weighted towards omega-6, at the expense of omega-3, is very easy to do when you consume a lot of "healthy fats" in your diet. I imagine this scenario is probably unhealthy.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
There is so much pseudo science masquerading as fact on food etc.
Most everyone needs to remember that correlation does not equal causation.
Eating in moderation and decent exercise, both aerobic and anaerobic make for a healthy person.

Those you can control, do, and those factors you can't [age, genetics] don't worry about, though you can tailor your lifestyle to address the most impactful ones for yourself.

Most of these health 'gurus' are promoting bunk, potions and nostrums.

Yeah but food fads and food cults are very appealing. They look like this:

Old 10-30-2022, 09:56 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
I'm not going to argue one way or another, but we've been eating real butter since the 90's when our doctor warned us not to eat the fake stuff.

And we also cook with extra virgin olive oil and rarely a bit of coconut oil. Haven't bought any other types for many years.

Old 10-30-2022, 10:09 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
I don't know how people think you get oil from corn.

Coconuts and avocado, yes. Corn? How much processing and additive is required to "create" oil from a starch? Where's the "potato oil"?

Logically it makes no sense. It's a frankenfood.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:10 AM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Coconuts and avocado, yes. Corn? How much processing and additive is required to "create" oil from a starch? Where's the "potato oil"?

How do people think you get milk from a nut? Put it in water, keep squeezing it and then add stuff to make it taste good and give it shelf life. It's mostly water and sugar. Expensive water.

Ingredients in Original Almondmilk : (Note that the first ingredient is water.)

"Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Gellan Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Ascorbic Acid (to protect freshness), Natural Flavor."

https://silk.com/plant-based-product...tate=pg:2/ct:r

Ingredients in Almond Breeze:

"ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), CANE SUGAR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, GELLAN GUM, D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E)."

Old 10-30-2022, 02:53 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

I don't know where anyone 'thinks' corn oil comes from, but I 'know' where it comes from and how it's processed.

There are two primary methods: via solvent or expeller. Just like any other oils. The germ is separated from the kernel, dried and then put in a press. That squeezes the oil out. OR, it's placed on a surface with hexane, which forces the oil out, and then the hexane is evaporated out of the oil.

Either way, corn oil reduces cholesterol more efficiently than olive oil does. It's cheaper than olive oil, it fries crisper than olive oil, it tastes better in cooking than olive oil. Olive oil has its own flavor which tends to be more palatable when used in dressings, drizzled over raw vegetables, or in certain italian dishes.

As long as you're not drinking the stuff out of the bottle, there's nothing wrong with corn oil at all. Or olive oil. Or any other kind of oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness