Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 03:40 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
... was white and chalky looking. .
It might be age. I never had the problem until the last couple of years. My toenails become white and chalky after I have had nail polish on for a couple of weeks. I let them breath in between polishes. Winter--I don't polish them and they eventually go back to normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 01:08 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,745,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I wear clear polish on my right index finger all winter because it cracks otherwise. Never had a problem except it keeps coming off way too soon. This year I'm trying a water based polyurethane because I noticed when some dripped on my toenail it lasted for a couple months. I think I'm aware enough to remove it if troubles begin, before they get too big. Not worried about it one bit.
The reason I knew something was wrong is the black stain started to spread and peak out from underneath the pink color so I used polish remover and my entire nail was black underneath the polish. I kept wiping the nail with the remover and half of the black stain came off, but the white keratin stuff was underneath it. My big toenail on the other foot has a small area of grayish stain from the polish and is growing out, it wouldn't come off with the remover, but there is no keratin granulation. Once I saw the damage I started to use tea tree oil on both toenails so a fungus wouldn't develop or if it was already there the oil would kill it. I was lucky the rest of my nails weren't damaged.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:15 AM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Op, does your nail tech use a dremel tool on your toenails? Or did you do your toenail polish yourself?
I’m not disbelieving you that the polish caused your injury, it just seems like there may have been something else going on as well.

Old 11-18-2022, 01:34 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
I made the mistake of leaving my toenail polish on too long (about 3 weeks) and the stain transferred to my big toenail, the nail got dehydrated and the half that wasn't permanently stained black by the pinkish polish was white and chalky looking. The toenail finally split in two and I had to get it removed by a professional. Luckily the damage was only to one toenail. The damage can happen to fingernails too. It wasn't cheap polish, it was a major brand costing $9.00 a bottle.

I never knew this could happen, so I wanted to inform people who use nail polish to be careful, it's loaded with chemicals that may damage your nails if you leave it on too long.
You had something else going on with your toenail, the polish certainly did not do that in just 3 weeks. Now, if you never let your nails go without polish, then yeah eventually you can cause serious damage to your nails (finger OR toes). I have had polish on my toes until it grew out LOL, and then no polish for a while. So take a break with it.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Op, does your nail tech use a dremel tool on your toenails? Or did you do your toenail polish yourself?
I’m not disbelieving you that the polish caused your injury, it just seems like there may have been something else going on as well.
I don't get manicures or pedicures, and only wore toenail polish when sandal season started in June which I applied myself. The nail tech used to work on my mom's nails because I couldn't do it because her nails were very difficult to work on, but my mom got an injury around Thanksgiving last year and passed away a few weeks later at 92.5 years old. I'm having a hard time with the holiday coming up next week being without her for the first time on Thanksgiving. When I was in the salon having my nail taken off I got choked up telling the nail tech that mom passed away, we hadn't been there since the pandemic started.

Additionally, if the nail tech thought there was a possibility i had a fungus or something else going on with the nail she would have told me.

I guess some posters don't believe post #14 on this thread and all the articles online warning about the dangers of leaving nail polish on too long and the damage that can occur. My nails were completely normal before they were polished, and don't forget I have polish staining on the other big toe that never came off, but the keratin granulation didn't occur to damage it, like the toenail that had to be removed. Do you honestly think leaving the formaldehyde in the polish on your nail for a long time won't do anything harmful to it if your nail is porous? Some nail polishes don't contain formaldehyde so maybe those who are using those polishes will never have any ill effects.

Maybe there should be a warning on the nail polish bottles?

Jeez, I didn't know my original post would get so complicated, lol, but I'm happy to keep harping on the fact the nail polish damaged my perfectly healthy nail (except for the porousness, maybe?) if it helps just one person not go through an ordeal like i did or worse!

Last edited by wp169; 11-18-2022 at 05:49 PM..

Old 11-18-2022, 06:42 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
I don't get manicures or pedicures, and only wore toenail polish when sandal season started in June which I applied myself. The nail tech used to work on my mom's nails because I couldn't do it because her nails were very difficult to work on, but my mom got an injury around Thanksgiving last year and passed away a few weeks later at 92.5 years old. I'm having a hard time with the holiday coming up next week being without her for the first time on Thanksgiving. When I was in the salon having my nail taken off I got choked up telling the nail tech that mom passed away, we hadn't been there since the pandemic started.

Additionally, if the nail tech thought there was a possibility i had a fungus or something else going on with the nail she would have told me.

I guess some posters don't believe post #14 on this thread and all the articles online warning about the dangers of leaving nail polish on too long and the damage that can occur. My nails were completely normal before they were polished, and don't forget I have polish staining on the other big toe that never came off, but the keratin granulation didn't occur to damage it, like the toenail that had to be removed. Do you honestly think leaving the formaldehyde in the polish on your nail for a long time won't do anything harmful to it if your nail is porous? Some nail polishes don't contain formaldehyde so maybe those who are using those polishes will never have any ill effects.

Maybe there should be a warning on the nail polish bottles?

Jeez, I didn't know my original post would get so complicated, lol, but I'm happy to keep harping on the fact the nail polish damaged my perfectly healthy nail (except for the porousness, maybe?) if it helps just one person not go through an ordeal like i did or worse!
Oh my goodness. So sorry for your loss.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Oh my goodness. So sorry for your loss.
Thanks for your kind words. I lived with my sweet, loving mom since 2000 and was her caregiver for the last 10 years after she had a mild stroke, we did everything together and I miss her terribly. Best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving to you and everyone on this thread along with the posters who have given me reputation points for this thread.

Last edited by wp169; 11-18-2022 at 10:50 PM..

Old 11-19-2022, 01:17 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,648 times
OP, I'm so sorry you lost your mom. I know the holidays will be difficult. Sending you blessings and hope you can find comfort in the coming days.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:29 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
I never get manicures/pedicures. A couple years ago I was exhausted and stressed and depressed as a caregiver for my severely disabled father, and I decided to treat myself in the summer and get a pedicure. "Self care" you know. They say it's a nice thing.

I make an appointment ahead of time, because I couldn't leave my father alone very long. But they made me wait 45 minutes, because it turns out they don't really honor appointments and just take people in as they walk in the door. Live and learn. Anyway, I choose my color, they do my nails, I sit with my feet under that UV light thing. It's fine. I feel a little silly and self conscious throughout the whole thing. I go home.

Since I rarely leave the house while taking care of my Dad, my toe nails stayed great for months, and I bought some more of the exact polish so I could add a little touch up if needed. I did that just once or twice. I admit - they kind of made me happy! Yes, my life was that sad.

But after a few months, one of my large toenails fell off!

I've never had any foot/nail problems. Never had fungus or pain or anything. Never wear crazy shoes.

Took months for a new nail to grow in and now it is a bit irregular/lumpy.

Never again. Live and learn.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
OP I am sorry your mom died. I lost my mom a few years ago as well. Spending Christmas with her sisters, which is nice (she was the oldest, and was about 13 years older than her youngest sister). They remind me of my mom.

Anyway, hope you have a good holiday season. After the first year, things do tend to get easier but that first round of holidays can be rough.

Now for my contribution to the topic of the thread:

I am 60 years old. I have been going a few times a year for DECADES to get a pedicure. In between the pedicures, I often leave the nail polish on and touch it up as needed. I have never had an issue at all.

I have had a melanoma on my shoulder and have to go in every three months to be checked from head to toe. Personally I think it's probably good to take the polish off my toes, which actually I've done in the past. Not because of issues with the nails, but because now I am worried about melanomas under the nails, which would be hidden by the nail polish.

Occasionally when I've used a very dark polish, I've had some staining but that's uncommon for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness