Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2023, 05:04 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times

Advertisements

So I have some sleeping issues at night and not too long ago I realized I have been involuntarily arching my back at night leading to a sore back. At first I thought it was something else but I catch myself at night when waking up or partially asleep arching my lower back (basically pushing my abs up). and I have to stop myself from doing it. To me this is abnormal and I can’t figure out why I’m doing it. If I’m in a deep sleep all night I don’t do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 05:22 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Just because you "catch" yourself doing this upon waking up doesn't mean you are spending a significant amount of time arching your back while asleep. If you are "deeply asleep" how would you know you don't do it then anyway? A sleep study could tell what is actually going on.

I'd suggest experimenting with adjustments to your mattress. Maybe it's too hard (try a mattress topper) or soft (put a board between box and mattress) and that's actually why your back aches the next day. This so-called arching may be an attempt to stretch away the effects of a bad mattress, not a problem in themselves. If your preferred sleep position has changed for some reason (you were a side sleeper but now end up rolling onto your back) maybe you can counteract that tendency. If you've developed sleep apnea for example, it's possible you're spending more time on your back in an unconscious attempt to counteract the effects.

Old 01-29-2023, 05:42 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
So I have some sleeping issues at night and not too long ago I realized I have been involuntarily arching my back at night leading to a sore back. At first I thought it was something else but I catch myself at night when waking up or partially asleep arching my lower back (basically pushing my abs up). and I have to stop myself from doing it. To me this is abnormal and I can’t figure out why I’m doing it. If I’m in a deep sleep all night I don’t do it.
Talk to your doc. A night in the sleep lab might be in order.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just because you "catch" yourself doing this upon waking up doesn't mean you are spending a significant amount of time arching your back while asleep. If you are "deeply asleep" how would you know you don't do it then anyway? A sleep study could tell what is actually going on.

I'd suggest experimenting with adjustments to your mattress. Maybe it's too hard (try a mattress topper) or soft (put a board between box and mattress) and that's actually why your back aches the next day. This so-called arching may be an attempt to stretch away the effects of a bad mattress, not a problem in themselves. If your preferred sleep position has changed for some reason (you were a side sleeper but now end up rolling onto your back) maybe you can counteract that tendency. If you've developed sleep apnea for example, it's possible you're spending more time on your back in an unconscious attempt to counteract the effects.
My back is only sore on nights I catch myself doing it.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:05 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Several years ago I was having the same issue. I was waking up after sleep with back pains and eventually woke myself up occasionally when I started arching my back. Fortunately, it turned out arching was not the cause of my back pian but was rather a physical reliver to the back pain. When the pain reached a certain level, I would unconsciously arch my back for relief. It turned out the acute relief if felt when I arched my back was what woke me but I just assumed it was because of the arching.

Explain the specific details to your doctor and they may be able to supply a temporary foam support you wear while sleeping to align the spine to reduce or eliminate back pain. Without the original back pain the relief arching may stop.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Several years ago I was having the same issue. I was waking up after sleep with back pains and eventually woke myself up occasionally when I started arching my back. Fortunately, it turned out arching was not the cause of my back pian but was rather a physical reliver to the back pain. When the pain reached a certain level, I would unconsciously arch my back for relief. It turned out the acute relief if felt when I arched my back was what woke me but I just assumed it was because of the arching.

Explain the specific details to your doctor and they may be able to supply a temporary foam support you wear while sleeping to align the spine to reduce or eliminate back pain. Without the original back pain the relief arching may stop.
Interesting. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness