Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2023, 08:51 PM

574 posts, read 268,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Really?

How many vegans do you know with high cholesterol?

Multiple studies have demonstrated that vegan diets are linked to lower cholesterol numbers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5914369/
Just FYI, these studies are hopelessly terrible as they're riddled with confounders. The average vegan does many other healthy things that a normal person does not (a normal person is not a vegan).

Some of the healthiest people in the world, at least in terms of cardiovascular health (low cholesterol numbers), are the Masai. Their diet is almost exclusively milk, blood, and red meat with little fruits and vegetables thrown in.

Cholesterol is made by your liver. You don't take cholesterol from say a chicken and use it as cholesterol in your body. Your liver makes 70-90% of your cholesterol from fats and carbs you consume, and is also responsible for clearing cholesterol. Only around 10-20% of cholesterol in your blood can be directly explained from the food that you eat.

Your liver regulates this, so certain inflammatory diets (high sugar + high fat diets - aka the American diet) contribute to your liver up-regulating cholesterol production. It's not clear from a science perspective if this is the causative reason behind cardiovascular disease or merely correlative. Also, some people have a genetic disorder where they produce way too much cholesterol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 09:07 PM

457 posts, read 220,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
fiber is rocket fuel for the microbiome gut bugs. good bug game helps process sugar appropriately. this imo is why fiber helps sugar metabolism. best to get a wide variety of fibers - which feeds a wide variety of gut bugs. gut bacteria diversity is proven to be a marker of optimal health. there are some excellent fiber blends available as supplements - and vary your fruits and vegs too
What if fiber messes with your digestion? (gas, bloating, etc)

Old 02-20-2023, 09:14 PM

15,444 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
Why medication? Why not a natural herb supplement?
Because the so called natural supplements are a crap shoot. You have no idea what you are getting. Red Rice yeast is even worse, since it contains actual statins in unknown quantities.

Natural is not necessarily better.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:19 PM

15,444 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Really?

Multiple studies have demonstrated that vegan diets are linked to lower cholesterol numbers.

My Mom went almost vegan for a year when the cholesterol meds she was taking quit working. She managed to get her cholesterol down to 300. Genetics play a huge par tin cholesterol numbers.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:27 PM

1,555 posts, read 781,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams Adam Jones View Post
Chances are you don't need anything. Just like me. I had a radically good diet. No red meat, no sugar. 65 years old and about 18 percent body fat.

But you might defy statistics. Like I did. And I wouldn't wish that on anyone else.

Again, chances are you are fine. But on the off chance you aren't, find a Doctor that doesn't suck; tell him or her that you want an order for a CT calcium scan. Hopefully you are just pissing away 75 bucks, and you will do that every other year or so. Because, again, you don't want to go through CABS.
True but I am a huge fan of preventive care. How do you get your sugar? I do eat beef for red meat but like once a week. TSH and Prostate screening was normal too.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Really?

Saturated fat can elevate it.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
Just FYI, these studies are hopelessly terrible as they're riddled with confounders. The average vegan does many other healthy things that a normal person does not (a normal person is not a vegan).

Some of the healthiest people in the world, at least in terms of cardiovascular health (low cholesterol numbers), are the Masai. Their diet is almost exclusively milk, blood, and red meat with little fruits and vegetables thrown in.

Cholesterol is made by your liver. You don't take cholesterol from say a chicken and use it as cholesterol in your body. Your liver makes 70-90% of your cholesterol from fats and carbs you consume, and is also responsible for clearing cholesterol. Only around 10-20% of cholesterol in your blood can be directly explained from the food that you eat.

Your liver regulates this, so certain inflammatory diets (high sugar + high fat diets - aka the American diet) contribute to your liver up-regulating cholesterol production. It's not clear from a science perspective if this is the causative reason behind cardiovascular disease or merely correlative. Also, some people have a genetic disorder where they produce way too much cholesterol.
They drink blood?

Old 02-20-2023, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Because the so called natural supplements are a crap shoot. You have no idea what you are getting. Red Rice yeast is even worse, since it contains actual statins in unknown quantities.

Natural is not necessarily better.
Medications are drugs they have side effects. Herbs have none to minimum side effects.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:52 PM

574 posts, read 268,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
They drink blood?
Yes, from the neck of the cow. I stayed with the Masai and got to drink cow's blood too. Got to taste natural milk as well, it basically tastes like cheese. One of my friends traveling with me got terrible diarrhea, I guess Americans are used to sanitized food lol.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:29 AM

449 posts, read 284,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
can i post specific products on this forum? i'm new here.
Good question. I've been here a while but I never read the rules. I don't want to get you in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness