Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 04:29 PM

1,555 posts, read 781,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace512 View Post
Also consider cutting out all seed or vegetable oils. Read labels. Don't buy anything with soybean oil. Avoid Canola, safflower , sunflower and by all means steer clear of cottonseed oil. Consume butter, ghee, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, and real beef tallow. The vegetable or seed oils are high in omega 6 fats which are inflammatory. Also, the way they extract the oil from the seeds is by using harmful chemicals and are highly processed. People around the world are ditching their healthy fats they used to consume and using cheap soybean or vegetable oils. Now the world is getting fatter and unhealthy. Fish oils are healthy, Omega 3's. I hate fish so I take a high quality fish oil supplement. You can learn more by doing your own research on this. It makes sense that any highly processed food is just garbage for your body and will make your triglycerides higher than optimal.
I also take a Omega 3 supplement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2023, 10:04 PM

3,697 posts, read 2,418,110 times
I'm reading 2 very good books on Cholesterol at the moment based on scientific research and very large studies (large sample sizes).

If you want to know the names of books, give a shout but I suspect people have heard of them already.

Apparently....we need a LDL-A and LDL-B test and an Lp(a) test.

Our cholesterol tests...including the one I just took basically don't tell us anything much (except for the total Cholesterol level) which is at the given moment in time and will likely be different at another time of days or tomorrow (and again, it doesn't show the above numbers).

Old 04-10-2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I'm reading 2 very good books on Cholesterol at the moment based on scientific research and very large studies (large sample sizes).

If you want to know the names of books, give a shout but I suspect people have heard of them already.

Our cholesterol tests...including the one I just took basically don't tell us anything much (except for the total Cholesterol level) which is at the given moment in time and will likely be different at another time of days or tomorrow (and again, it doesn't show the above numbers).
3 blood tests?

The lipid panel has LDL and HDL.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:33 AM

3,697 posts, read 2,418,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
3 blood tests?

The lipid panel has LDL and HDL.
The lipid panel has HDL, yes.

And LDL...yes.....

But....the LDL test needs to show the LDL-A and the LDL-B....the analogy of one being a volleyball (bigger) and the other being a golf ball (smaller)....or one is a big boat and the other is a little boat.

The little boat is the one that can cause problems if it gets into the artery wall and oxidizes.

The ApoB test: Replace the term "may" below to "is."

Quote:
Why is apoB better than LDL?
Apolipoprotein B (apoB) may be more useful clinically than LDL cholesterol in coronary heart disease (CHD) because it captures greater information about atherogenic particles and is not influenced by heterogeneity of particle cholesterol content (1). Measurement of LDL cholesterol is relatively insensitive to the accumulation of small, dense LDL particles, which are believed to be highly atherogenic (1). This is reflected in the preponderance of evidence from prospective epidemiologic studies and statin trials favoring apoB over LDL cholesterol as a predictor of cardiovascular risk as well as residual risk on statin therapy (2–10).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...20content%20(1).

Lp(a) test:

Quote:
A lipoprotein (a) blood test can give you a more accurate understanding of your risk than a routine cholesterol test that only measures your total LDL cholesterol level.Aug 3, 2022
https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/li...sterol%20level.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:14 AM

1,198 posts, read 662,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
My LDL is now considered borderline? So if I can get my HDL up then it would help my LDL right? What other factor for long term on PB diet?
As far as I know, increasing your HDL will not necessarily help lower your LDL.

Factors for why I could not sustain pb diet: eating disorder including anorexia nervosa and obsessive compulsive mindset I was trying to break, worsening bone density (I have dexa scans every other year since 2006 due to surgical menopause and osteoporosis at a young age, and it worsened considerably only during my years as a vegan but has since improved), a husband who is a meat eater and who has severe lung disease and requires a very high protein diet due to meds he is on for it, consistently low iron which I am still battling but stupidly I started donating blood a few years ago when it was stable and donated four times in one year which really didn't help.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
The lipid panel has HDL, yes.

And LDL...yes.....

But....the LDL test needs to show the LDL-A and the LDL-B....the analogy of one being a volleyball (bigger) and the other being a golf ball (smaller)....or one is a big boat and the other is a little boat.

The little boat is the one that can cause problems if it gets into the artery wall and oxidizes.

The ApoB test: Replace the term "may" below to "is."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...20content%20(1).

Lp(a) test:

https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/li...sterol%20level.
Thanks.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
As far as I know, increasing your HDL will not necessarily help lower your LDL.

Factors for why I could not sustain pb diet: eating disorder including anorexia nervosa and obsessive compulsive mindset I was trying to break, worsening bone density (I have dexa scans every other year since 2006 due to surgical menopause and osteoporosis at a young age, and it worsened considerably only during my years as a vegan but has since improved), a husband who is a meat eater and who has severe lung disease and requires a very high protein diet due to meds he is on for it, consistently low iron which I am still battling but stupidly I started donating blood a few years ago when it was stable and donated four times in one year which really didn't help.
I thought it was all about the ratio?

Old 04-19-2023, 03:28 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,150,905 times
Quote:
Those tests get into the nitty gritty of the molecular mechanics of how chol is deposited & retrieved from plaque (see my post back on the first page).

We don't do those tests because studies have shown that knowing those specific levels don't improve the predictive value beyond that of the simpler/cheaper tot chol/HDL ratio.

People (incuding most docs) forget two things-- chol numbers merely correlate with arteriosclerosis and don't indicate a cause & effect relationship. Most people with heart attacks have normal chol numbers. Most people with high numbers don't have heart attacks....Secondly, -- all these so called risk factors are predictive of early heart attacks. After the age of 65 or so, the correlation is really insignificant compared to the predictive value of age itself.

Please note that there is no good evidence that lowering chol levels before you have a heart attack (primary prevention) actually lowers your risk, and that after you've had a heart attack, using statins to lower chol only reduces your risk of having a second attack by 2% (ARR in secondary prevention)--Medically, it's just not very important, but legally it's imperative that your doc insists you do it.

I always have to laugh when the Walgreens has the free chol tests-- The line wraps around the block and everyone in it is 75 y/o...Too late... I wonder how many of them will drop dead before they get to the front of the line.

Old 04-19-2023, 06:19 AM

3,088 posts, read 1,550,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Those tests get into the nitty gritty of the molecular mechanics of how chol is deposited & retrieved from plaque (see my post back on the first page).

We don't do those tests because studies have shown that knowing those specific levels don't improve the predictive value beyond that of the simpler/cheaper tot chol/HDL ratio.

People (incuding most docs) forget two things-- chol numbers merely correlate with arteriosclerosis and don't indicate a cause & effect relationship. Most people with heart attacks have normal chol numbers. Most people with high numbers don't have heart attacks....Secondly, -- all these so called risk factors are predictive of early heart attacks. After the age of 65 or so, the correlation is really insignificant compared to the predictive value of age itself.

Please note that there is no good evidence that lowering chol levels before you have a heart attack (primary prevention) actually lowers your risk, and that after you've had a heart attack, using statins to lower chol only reduces your risk of having a second attack by 2% (ARR in secondary prevention)--Medically, it's just not very important, but legally it's imperative that your doc insists you do it.

I always have to laugh when the Walgreens has the free chol tests-- The line wraps around the block and everyone in it is 75 y/o...Too late... I wonder how many of them will drop dead before they get to the front of the line.
what about triglycides? Does that number have any value?

Old 04-19-2023, 09:13 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
The primary source of LDL and VLDL cholesterols in the body is the metabolism of saturated fat.

If you want to improve your blood fat levels, cut down on saturated fat.

This is hardly new information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness