Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2023, 03:22 PM

1,555 posts, read 778,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
At that profile you have nothing to worry about.

Strap on a heart rate monitor and hit the threadmill, pick a pace that's hard but doable in 30 minutes. Monitor your BPM over time. I mean months and years though expect some decay in this just with age.
Treadmill has a handle to monitor HR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams Adam Jones View Post
How will you know if you need it?

Sorry, this is kinda a hot button for me. Have lived in Florida for over 40 years, and the healthcare here is mostly horrible. When I had this surprise clogged artery thing, the first thing I did was contact my siblings. I'm the youngest so I had a sense of urgency . Big bro and big sis kinda blew me off. Big bro ran it by his primary doctor, but no money there for his PCP (PCP practice group had just invested big bucks in a stress test center).

They let my brother twist in the wind for several months, then finally shaved his chest before 6 hours of stress tests, charged him and his insurance a boatload of money, and guess what, they claim he is fine.
I'm glad he is fine.

Apologies in advance, but I hate our medical system. To summarize, if you have questionable blood cholesterol, and care about avoiding CABG, consider getting a CT Calcium score. Or if you like TV commercials, go to a local church and get a lifeline screening.
Any major city in USA should have many options to choose from.

Old 02-20-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I just saw this.

Stents are on the way out, due to the COURAGE trial as it showed no benefit to patients with stable coronary artery disease.

You know precisely how well your heart works if you exercise. I'm now 56 (as of last week lol) and I regularly (daily) bring up my BPM to 180, something considered dangerous by medical professionals for my age.
Running HR of 180 BPM should be fine I suppose? It’s the resting HR that matters.

Old 02-20-2023, 03:57 PM

574 posts, read 267,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
Running HR of 180 BPM should be fine I suppose? It’s the resting HR that matters.
A stress test is done to see how your heart preforms under stress.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
A stress test is done to see how your heart preforms under stress.
My mom had that done with a cardiologist.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:04 PM

574 posts, read 267,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
My mom had that done with a cardiologist.
Your numbers are fine, your health seems fine. If you're concerned you can go up for a workup and stress test, but imo it's just a waste of time.

As you get older, monitor your cardiovascular output (can be crudely done by measuring your BPM for a fixed difficulty level) and as long as you're hitting your goals, you should not pay attention.

Cholesterol's role in plaques and blockages is far from clear. Is it correlative or causative? What cholesterol is important for is your brain, which has 70% of your body's total cholesterol. Artificially lowering it via statins present themselves with many numerological and muscular problems as well as diabetes.

And for your profile, there is no benefit from statins in terms of living longer or having less heart attacks. In patients who already had a MCA, statins prevent 1 MCA for around 25 treated for 5 years IIRC. These are not great numbers.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams Adam Jones View Post
My understanding is that a "stress test" has two phases. A stress phase (exercise wearing ekg sensors, dye injection and imaging) and also a rest test phase. Can't imagine how much they charge you or your medical insurance company. Actually, I went through that and the lost money was insignificant compared to the physical damage. I know that money is just a method of exchange, but I think 'murican healthcare is horrific and a bankrupting force for some.

I wouldn't be researching Physician assisted death if I didn't have other morbidities and now regret my meatball CABS.

Again, to the OP, get your effin arteries scanned. Stents are better than a CABS.
Doesn’t matter what they charge to insurance. Your out of pocket is all that matters. How does it bankrupt you? So I need a CT Calcium scan?

Old 02-20-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Your numbers are fine, your health seems fine. If you're concerned you can go up for a workup and stress test, but imo it's just a waste of time.

As you get older, monitor your cardiovascular output (can be crudely done by measuring your BPM for a fixed difficulty level) and as long as you're hitting your goals, you should not pay attention.

Cholesterol's role in plaques and blockages is far from clear. Is it correlative or causative? What cholesterol is important for is your brain, which has 70% of your body's total cholesterol. Artificially lowering it via statins present themselves with many numerological and muscular problems as well as diabetes.

And for your profile, there is no benefit from statins in terms of living longer or having less heart attacks. In patients who already had a MCA, statins prevent 1 MCA for around 25 treated for 5 years IIRC. These are not great numbers.
I will continue this momentum.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:59 PM

102,206 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Do you take any medications? I always had great blood sugar and cholesterol numbers until I started some meds which are known to drive it up.
Good point. Statins are contraindicated for people with higher blood sugar, or who have any degree of insulin resistance. Doctors push them anyway, for pts. with elevated cholesterol.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:35 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Chol levels are determined by genetics with little correlation to diet until you go down to starvation levels of calorie intake.
Really?

How many vegans do you know with high cholesterol?

Multiple studies have demonstrated that vegan diets are linked to lower cholesterol numbers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5914369/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness