Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 06:07 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
No one else thinks it's odd that he's convinced, in the absences of witnesses, that he smells immediately out of the shower? That makes no sense. If nothing else, he should smell like his showering products. Everyone is so credulous here, LOL...
Well?

My question to OP is did you have Covid, and did you lose your sense of smell? Because I had Covid, and I lost my sense of smell and taste and the sense of smell is still a little problematic three years after. And what he is describing I have. Oh well, I don’t physically — my nose does.

First off, I had the issue that everything that smelled bad smelled bad the same way. It all smelled like rancid frying oil. Frankly after reading some of the things people were talking about smelling, I’ll take it. Weirdly on me, it’s just my left arm pit. No matter what, that’s what I smell. Pretty sure it’s not the pit. Because I mentioned that I smell that scent to people and what they’re smelling isn’t what I’m smelling. So my sense of smell is skewed.

In fact, no matter what deodorant I used after three days of using it I smelled the rancid cooking oil. All fragranced products. I was also having issues with my colognes. They smelled wrong and in some cases bad. So I did some research and found out about synthetic fragrances.

The only thing I could figure out is that a lot of deodorant antiperspirant use a synthetic scent. I had been reading that even in natural products synthetic scents are cheaper, and more reliable than the natural scents. Even unscented stuff uses some sort of a fragrance to cover up the chemical smells or the natural smells of the product. So I went looking for something that didn’t use artificial fragrance.

Ban deodorant, unscented, uses sandalwood oil and something else as masking fragrances.

It works really well. Been using it for two years with no problems. But the right pit after I take a shower which should smell like Olay soap because that’s what I use, does smell just a tiny little bit of rancid cooking oil. As I said I’m 99.9% sure it’s not real. I mean it is to me, but I don’t think it is to the real world. And after three years I think this is as good as it’s going to be.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:12 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,991,949 times
...which is why I say have someone else corroborate the bad smell right out of the shower before sounding alarm bells. It's probably all in the OP's head. Or possibly nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 10:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,202 times
thank you all for your help. Others have told me that I reek, has outrageous at it may seem this is actually happening to me, please i swear I'm not imagining this.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:16 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceJordan13 View Post
thank you all for your help. Others have told me that I reek, has outrageous at it may seem this is actually happening to me, please i swear I'm not imagining this.
Your first step is to see if physician. They may be able to prescribe any anti-perspirant that works for you, or they may also be able to ascertain what is going on to create this, and if it’s an overproduction of sweat there are things that they can do to help.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:32 AM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
OP, Aldehydes and other volatile compounds, and their metabolytes.
beer, whiskey and cigarettes.

Old 05-06-2023, 12:52 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
Quote:
Well the aroma has to be coming from somewhere. Do any of these apply? Open sore(s), something you are consuming (alcohol, tobacco, spices), halitosis/dental issues? External causes in the environment (mold / mildew, cats, industries, etc)? Bad drinking / bathing / washing water?

I worked with a gal who always had an earthy smell that seemed to be coming from her clothes. I could smell it on her coats that she hung. It wasn't unpleasant, but it wasn't great either. I went to their house for dinner one night and the smell was coming from their house. It was an old musty cabin and everything inside it smelled like their home, including them.

My ex's grandmother had cats, and the smell was quite pungent.

None of these people could smell what everybody else did.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:18 AM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Add a full box of baking soda to your next bath, then have a good soak and scrub. Start adding at least a half a box to your laundry cycle to get that funk out of your clothing, towels, bedding, etc. Another laundry trick, is you can purchase an all-purpose antibacterial cleaner (think Mr. Clean, Lysol, etc..) and add that to your wash cycle to help remove odors and bacteria.

Skip the "strong" deodorant and start using an antiperspirant, and drink more water.

Old 05-06-2023, 07:15 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Quote:
thank you all for your help. Others have told me that I reek .

Then you should discuss it with a doctor.

Old 05-06-2023, 07:36 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,156,460 times
I'm not finger pointing, but some drugs and alcohol can cause severe body odor....The skin itself is an excretory organ, so ....your body expels the residues......

Just a suggestion. No judgement here.

Old 05-06-2023, 12:50 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Some people are just really stinky...........like me, big whoop.

I shower twice a day and sniff my vulgar-areas after scrubbing them with soap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness