Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 10:32 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
You didn't mention going to a doctor for a physical. While 33 doesn't seem that old, you should really start to at least get a yearly physical, with blood draw lab analysis (full metabolic panel, etc).

There are many hidden issues that can cause decreased energy, such as anemia, liver or kidney issues, diabetes, sleep disorders, etc. There are people younger than you who have had chronic diseases. My wife had kidney disease in her 20's but was unaware and she eventually needed a kidney transplant many years later, which she might have avoided or delayed with earlier detection.

I don't mean to be a doomsayer but do yourself and your loved ones a favor and go get a physical! They will at least rule out many things, but if there is a problem, you want to find it early and begin to address it.

https://www.webmd.com/balance/how-tired-is-too-tired
Exactly!

My brother began feeling tired too often for his age and eventually found out he had heart problems. Apena is also a common problem which many ignor because they don't recognize the symptoms at first. There are easy over night finger tests to help determine this before you go in for complete sleep study if indicated.

Also, your local drug store carries oxi-meters so you can track your oxygen levels in just a few seconds many times a day. Like Apnea, low oxygen levels can sneak up on you before you know it. As others have said, be sure to find a good doctor and get checked out by a professional since many discount small indications of heart problems thinking they are too young. I lost my brother at 45 years of age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 01:32 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymaker221 View Post
Gonna talk to my doctor tommorow. I'm reading up on thyroid issues, even though it's less usual for males I won't rule it out(plus my mother had many issues there) and I know for sure I have very regular sore throat and coughing, which is said to be part of the symptoms. I will mention it and see what they can do for me. Since I'm never there for health problems they might talk me out of extensive blood work though.
Don't let them talk you out of anything. Actually, I don't know how any doctor would ever refuse to perform simple blood tests on someone who has some concerning symptoms. This is routine stuff we're talking about, standard tests, not very expensive and usually covered by insurance, but could lead them to uncover an issue that needs to be addressed.

If they are trying to downplay your concerns, that is a serious concern in my book. They need to listen to you and that will guide them. If not, then you may want to find another doctor. It would be horrible to let something go and have regrets later if it is something serious.

And don't feel like just because you are 33 that it is somehow embarrassing or unlikely that you could have something that requires treatment. I knew of a seemingly healthy coworker many years ago who died in his 30's suddenly. Nobody is exempt from potential health issues. I mean, some 6 yr old kids have cancer fergodsakes. https://www.chadtough.org/ https://www.stjude.org/

Old 06-27-2023, 04:07 PM

141 posts, read 416,834 times
Seeing doc on friday. In the mean time I'll do the right things, improve sleep, try to relax from the stress, and yes no more fasting. Message received. I'll change my diet and I just hope I don't get too fat a belly(I hear that's another thyroid issue btw). But thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
33 is still pretty young, I mean you're just a few yrs out of your 20s still, so to be fatigues like this already may mean something's going on. Good thing you're getting things checked out a/ the dr. Yes, thyroid issues can cause fatigue.

Do you take any vitamins?

Maybe you need a less strenuous job. I don't know how much it pays, but money isn't everything, you know. OUr health is & should always come first because w/o our health, we can't do anything.

On another slightly different non-healthwise note, for yrs, I wish we ALWAYS had 3-day weekends because just Sat & Sun isn't enough. Sat, people have to do their errands &/or get-out-of-house fun activities, then Sun is usually the more mellow, wind-down day & many go to church too. But then, that's also the day before work once again already, so if only we had EVERY Monday off...that one more day off! I feel the difference every time we have a Monday off for a holiday & it's nice!

Wasn't there talk about haveing 4-day work weeks for years? I guess they'll never do it OR when they finally do, I'll be at retiring age anyway, so it won't matter.
I had 4 day work weeks for a month this year and over 2 months last year. It hardly made a difference to me at all.

Something is going on in my body, I just sense it. I have to find out asap.

Old 06-27-2023, 04:19 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
I had 4 day work weeks for a month this year and over 2 months last year. It hardly made a difference to me at all.
I'd suspect it would take more than a month/2 months of 4 day work weeks to make a significant difference in your health overall OP. Especially if you aren't making any other adjustments during the same period (diet, rest, activity level, etc). It takes time for the body to adjust itself.

Old 06-27-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd suspect it would take more than a month/2 months of 4 day work weeks to make a significant difference in your health overall OP. Especially if you aren't making any other adjustments during the same period (diet, rest, activity level, etc). It takes time for the body to adjust itself.
I respectfully disagree. That's more than enough time and it did absolutely nothing for me. If anything it did the opposite, it made the return to 5 days tougher to handle again. I will not quit this job I just got a promotion on, I need it and I actually love it. I'm not a quitter(I'm not saying you called me that).

Old 06-27-2023, 04:44 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Seeing doc on friday. In the mean time I'll do the right things, improve sleep, try to relax from the stress, and yes no more fasting. Message received. I'll change my diet and I just hope I don't get too fat a belly(I hear that's another thyroid issue btw). But thanks.

Something is going on in my body, I just sense it. I have to find out asap.
Something I should have asked and didn't for some reason: Do you work shift work?

Old 06-27-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Something I should have asked and didn't for some reason: Do you work shift work?
No. It's 8 to 5 but I usually start earlier and finish later than that.

Old 07-02-2023, 07:22 PM

1,555 posts, read 776,962 times
Quote:
As a 33 year old male I can put in strong work weeks, though there's a lot of overtime so the days can get pretty tough and it's a physical job(but also tough mentally as there's a ton of planning and thinking). Result is I'm tired the rest of the night and also on saturdays. I'm somewhat recovered by the time it's sunday, and it leaves me enough in the tank to workout.

Anyway, I'm healthy but I feel like I suffer more from exhaustion than my peers. All my muscles ache, the energy just isn't there in my free time to do anything more than walking.

I don't know if there's a solution to this, could this possibly be related to testosterone issues? I'm willing to take a blood test for it. What else can I do. I was thinking about massage therapy maybe, if that could relax my body so I get some energy back and get rid of the soreness. Thanks if you got any tips.
How many hours do you sleep everyday? What is your pay like with benefits? If it is very high. I would not continue doing this for a long time. Do a full comprehensive blood test.

Old 07-02-2023, 08:33 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
I do need that day(or more, when I can) of strength training otherwise it will be like before when I had constant injuries on my joints.

I'm gonna check out those links for diet tips. I will add that during work days I actually do intermittent fasting(sometimes I have a small lunch). I don't know if that has an effect on everything.

Got me there. I should strive for 8 hours, it definitely helps.

It isn’t just the NUMBER of hours you sleep. You need QUALITY sleep. Sleep apnea causes a person to stop breathing several times throughout the night, and they can be unaware of it. (There are tests for sleep apnea.)

Your description of your work sounds like a construction-type of job, but since I don’t know for sure, is this a job that allows you to get plenty of sunlight? Lack of sunlight can make a person deficient for Vitamin D, not to mention how depressing no sunshine is.

You work, go home, eat and repeat. It seems the only thing that breaks that cycle is when you workout. You might need more in your life to avoid burnout and (again) depression. Do you ever do anything fun? Do you allow yourself to do something that you can look forward to, then actually DO? A person has to have down time.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:35 AM

I stopped fasting last week, I do feel a difference, I think this is good. However, it's gonna take some time to get a regular feeding habit again. I'm usually not hungry.

Had a good talk with my doctor last week. It was good to discuss everything in detail with the one person who knows my medical history, he gave me advice that was similar to what was shared in this thread, and a comprehensive blood test is coming up. A lot of things, testosterone, thyroid, blood & sugar levels etc. the works.

Getting the shot tommorow and hopefully I get the result asap.

It would be good to find out a problem that could fix all my problems with one pill so to speak. On the other hand, it would suck to have to take medication for the rest of my life for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
How many hours do you sleep everyday? What is your pay like with benefits? If it is very high. I would not continue doing this for a long time. Do a full comprehensive blood test.
I'm not sure I'm following your point here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
It isn’t just the NUMBER of hours you sleep. You need QUALITY sleep. Sleep apnea causes a person to stop breathing several times throughout the night, and they can be unaware of it. (There are tests for sleep apnea.)

Your description of your work sounds like a construction-type of job, but since I don’t know for sure, is this a job that allows you to get plenty of sunlight? Lack of sunlight can make a person deficient for Vitamin D, not to mention how depressing no sunshine is.

You work, go home, eat and repeat. It seems the only thing that breaks that cycle is when you workout. You might need more in your life to avoid burnout and (again) depression. Do you ever do anything fun? Do you allow yourself to do something that you can look forward to, then actually DO? A person has to have down time.

Well I've had a snoring app which checked out good, no snoring as long as I sleep on my side. My orthodontist said not long ago that my airways are good, and I think I get good sleep.

Yes I get a lot of sun, many hours a day. Use lots of sun block. too.

I agree I should do more things in my life. But life gets lonely sometimes.The only friends I had started families in their mid to late 20s and we drifted apart. I should have had my own family by now.

Last edited by keymaker221; 07-03-2023 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness