Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 09:45 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Someone on youtube mentioned that she doesn't use wet wipes because they "shed" particles.
And how many particles someone get using TP? And how many germs they breed between their but cheeks by smearing feces with dry paper?
Most toilet papers (except organic) contain an array of toxic chemicals that are incredibly harmful for your health. The whiter, fluffier and more scented your toilet paper is, the more chemicals it's likely to contain.
Not to mention that toilet paper is a major source of toxic ‘forever chemicals’ in wastewater.

I agree, bidet insert is the best solution. However, lots of Americans have unexplained bidet phobia.
Only just about 12% of Americans currently have access to a bidet.(2022)

At 0:30

Last edited by elnina; 06-28-2023 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 09:54 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I don’t want to end up…..moist. Even with the bidet, I follow up with tp.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:05 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Depends on bidet, but generally - yes. Or dedicated towel. You should be clean there after using bidet, so it's not different than using towel after shower.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:13 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Depends on bidet, but generally - yes. Or dedicated towel. You should be clean there after using bidet, so it's not different than using towel after shower.
Love that video el. Love my Bidet, but still need TP and or wipes.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
I'm a full-time traveler, with chronic digestive issues, and I hate wet wipes.

So I carry a small spray bottle that can easily fit in my pocket. It is filled with half witch hazel and the other half water. Spray it right on the paper. This is cheaper and easier to use than a traveller's bidet.

If I were planted in one spot, I'd definitely have a bidet.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:54 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

My bidet has a dryer! Nice slightly warm air.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
You can retrofit almost any regular toilet with a bidet seat.

https://www.totousa.com/washlet

Old 06-28-2023, 11:08 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Someone on youtube mentioned that she doesn't use wet wipes because they "shed" particles. So, I just did some googling, and in addition, they are bad for the environment.

Healthwise:

https://www.wellandgood.com/wet-wipes-for-toilet-paper/

"Just like the skin on your face, your anus and its surrounding skin is covered in good and bad bacteria, which work together to find homeostasis and keep your tush in tip-top condition. "This is important, so when you start to augment that [microbiome] with wet wipes, what happens is that you're wiping away the good bacteria and the balance becomes a problem," says Dr. Goldstein."

He goes on to say that this also applies to "chemical free". It is a pretty good article, and it always helps to be "informed" before making changes!
Dr. Goldstein must live in a different world. In mine, when you wipe with anything, BOTH good and bad bacteria are removed in the proportions that exist. In his, apparently only the good bacteria are removed.

Further, the "microbiome" can largely be whatever came out of the anus and was not removed. If you have ever et a particularly spicy meal and had it remind you of it at the other end, you understand the concept.

There is no question that a bidet is a better solution to the issues around butt health.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:31 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You can retrofit almost any regular toilet with a bidet seat.

https://www.totousa.com/washlet

I just put a dishwasher splitter valve on the angle stop and ran a wand out with a SS flex and a tap stop. Kinda like an RV shower. It's tough (has to be to for me) simple and I had all the stuff to do it on my shop shelves. Wow I think it was closer to 20 years than not I made those mods.

I have a serious need to be clean after a #2. I don't care who anyone is TP is does NOT get one clean. The primpyest man bun wearing silk suit type is leaving nasty track marks in their underwear and thus on their skin if they're depending on paper. This isn't a subject gest too much talk in public but it's an undeniable truth.

How many folks here take their morning absolutions wipe and then are looking for the bathroom at work in maybe an hour with itching and burning starting up because the nether pole is still kinda...sticky. Often from something that works its way from inside with body movement but a wash would have seen that not happen. baby wipes are the best finish clean too. The moist mixture dries quickly and some even have skin protectant and such on them that helps.

I take a pack of wipes in my ruck when I camp or go out exploring and pack them out in a heavy freezer bag. I leave nothing synthetic laying about the wild places. The extra clean is double important in the field. A guy wants to get clean the first time and get active. Not having to...revisit...the cleaning part. Being able to wash and wet wipe to my mind is a good thing. It's not an everyday topic i must admit. but it's good to see some honesty from folks that we all of us have the same sort of issues.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:34 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I use a bidet when possible (at home)... finish off with a dab of toilet paper. No, the cold water doesn't bother me.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Ne.../dp/B00A0RHSJO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness