Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 09:35 PM

571 posts, read 275,294 times

Advertisements

Am thinking of ditching TP for wipes but want to know if there are any adverse affects?

Was thinking their could be because why do so many more people use TP instead? Is it just economics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 10:02 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
There are water wet wipes, so no adverse reactions.
People use TP because old habits die hard. Wiping behind with dry paper is the only cleaning ritual done dry. For any other washing act we use water and soap.
It's smearing feces over the skin. Imagine wiping filthy hands with dry paper towel only. Yuck!
So, you can use wet wipes although they are still more expensive than TP. Buy baby water wipes, they aren't toxic. And remember do not flush them, as they will clog your plumbing system. I think that only Cottonelle makes real flushable wipes, but you still aren't allowed flush more than two. Everyone else stating that their wipes are flushable is not telling the truth.
You can also consider bidet toilet inserts as another hygienic alternative. They aren't expensive and DIY job.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:41 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I only use wet wipes and toss them into the trash when done. My spouse, on the other hand, uses TP...one square and one square only. No, I am not joking.

The best wipes I've found are Seventh Generation.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:03 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My spouse, on the other hand, uses TP...one square and one square only. No, I am not joking.
Your spouse must have an incredibly healthy and consistent diet.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:46 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Someone on youtube mentioned that she doesn't use wet wipes because they "shed" particles. So, I just did some googling, and in addition, they are bad for the environment.

Healthwise:

https://www.wellandgood.com/wet-wipes-for-toilet-paper/

"Just like the skin on your face, your anus and its surrounding skin is covered in good and bad bacteria, which work together to find homeostasis and keep your tush in tip-top condition. "This is important, so when you start to augment that [microbiome] with wet wipes, what happens is that you're wiping away the good bacteria and the balance becomes a problem," says Dr. Goldstein."

He goes on to say that this also applies to "chemical free". It is a pretty good article, and it always helps to be "informed" before making changes!

Old 06-28-2023, 07:49 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Bidet is the best cleaner. Doesn't use a lot of water and nothing to flush.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:14 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Your spouse must have an incredibly healthy and consistent diet.

Sure...if "incredibly healthy and consistent diet" is just another term for "junk food."

Old 06-28-2023, 09:28 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Bidet is the best cleaner. Doesn't use a lot of water and nothing to flush.
I just got one and what a god saver. I have an IBD and the Bidet works really well, although I still need tp and wipes sometimes.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:37 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I only use wet wipes and toss them into the trash when done. My spouse, on the other hand, uses TP...one square and one square only. No, I am not joking.

The best wipes I've found are Seventh Generation.

Probably got educated on YouTube...

Old 06-28-2023, 09:42 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
Am thinking of ditching TP for wipes but want to know if there are any adverse affects?

Was thinking their could be because why do so many more people use TP instead? Is it just economics?
Been using them for years. And since I'm a plumber I rigged up a wash want off the toilet angle stop as well. I like to be CLEAN. TP does not do it. I have to take the bathroom garbage out a lot more often using wipes because they can't be flushed. No...not even the "flushable" ones can be. Not if you want your waste line to keep working.

I'm old fashioned but TP is one old school thing I can do without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness