Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 06:27 PM

92 posts, read 109,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I’ve had the same doctor for about 11 years, so maybe things are done differently now.

I just called to make an appointment as a new patient with a doctor (whose office is with other doctors).

I was told that a different doctor would have to approve of the doctor I wanted (just a PCP), and that he would have to take down some information to do a background check.

Okay, stop. The. Bus.

I said, “No, wait a minute. The doctor I want to see has to have permission from another doctor to see me?”

Answer: “Yes, then he will do a background check and we will call you with an appointment time. So, can I get your information?”

Me: “Why do you need a background check? That sounds as if you need to know if I’m a felon or don’t pay my bills.” (At this point, I was thinking that I was misunderstanding the term and that they used the words ‘background check’ to mean something else.)

Tell me. Am I completely out-of-touch? Is this the new “normal”?
A background check on patients? Although most doctors are great but how about a back ground check on all doctors to see how often they made mistakes or misdiagnosed someone. How about a back ground check on hospitals to find out whos unfairly on a long waiting list to see a doctor or surgery while others with similar illness or problem never wait that long?

Last edited by len ren; 08-25-2023 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 09:14 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by len ren View Post
A background check on patients? Although most doctors are great but how about a back ground check on all doctors to see how often they made mistakes or misdiagnosed someone. How about a back ground check on hospitals to find out whos unfairly on a long waiting list to see a doctor or surgery while others with similar illness or problem never wait that long?
Best post ever. Next time a doctor wants to drug test my wife, we will suggest that the doctor reciprocates. After all, the doctor is the one at work and we are the customers paying THEM. We have a right to know if the independent contractor we have hired is taking drugs. And since we are paying for our drug test, they can pay for theirs.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:37 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
We both had United Healthcare - with a $6K deductible, I might add. I’m sure the pharmacy issues had everything to do with the meds prescribed because they were for cancer treatment. The issue about having to change doctors to get a second opinion has everything to do with the medical center making money. And as far as MY care, me not wanting to take a handful of drugs shouldn’t cause my doctor to get snarky with me.

So, whether you have 100 employees or 1000, none of your employees will know how they will be treated until they are REALLY sick.
Were those chemotherapy drugs, or prescription medications used to treat the side effects of the chemo? I'm asking because I looked into how I'd get chemo drugs with our prescription drug plan in the event it turned out I needed chemotherapy when I was diagnosed with colon cancer last year. Turns out I didn't, but it was good information in the event things change in the future.

Our prescription drug plan is with our secondary insurance (federal employees BC/BS) and the chemo drugs would come from their specialty pharmacy. To get them would require filling out a number of forms, by both the patient and the oncology provider, many of the drugs in the specialty pharmacy require prior authorization. I was happy to see that all of the chemo drugs commonly used for colon cancer were in their specialty formulary, including two of the immunochemo ( monoclonal antibody) drugs that I probably would have needed due to the genetic results from my particular tumor. It looked like my copay for each dose of those immuno drugs would have been $65, very reasonable considering the expense of those drugs. I didn't look into the process for picking up those drugs, whether they were sent to the cancer center directly, or if I'd have had to pick them up at a local pharmacy. But even if I had to pick them up, I'd have made sure with a phone call ahead to the pharmacy to ensure the drugs were there. Of course, customer service varies at different pharmacies, and I've experienced the runarounds, misinformation and even refusal of the pharmacist to come to the phone with a pharmacy or two- all involving non-controlled substance generic maintenance medications. I no longer do business at those pharmacies. The pharmacy I use now has excellent customer service.

Chemotherapy drugs are NOT controlled substances, and there is NO reason for a pharmacy not to inform a phone caller ( especially someone known to them or who has other medications filled at that pharmacy) about whether they have the drug or not. IMO it's inexcusable to have to traipse all over looking for the drugs.

Old 08-26-2023, 10:31 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Chemotherapy drugs are NOT controlled substances, and there is NO reason for a pharmacy not to inform a phone caller ( especially someone known to them or who has other medications filled at that pharmacy) about whether they have the drug or not. IMO it's inexcusable to have to traipse all over looking for the drugs.
Although chemotherapy drugs are not a controlled substance, some associate prescription for treatment could be. Think about a basic root canal, you get a RX for antibiotics but may also get an RX for a small number of medication for pain management which are usually a controlled substance.

As for pharmacy issues, this may only apply to administered plans but all our former an current plans had a toll-free number we can call if having problems finding a medication. Patient called them, they found it, they confirmed filling with a pharmacy and they called us to say where it's available. Just had that happen with an asthma medication. Employee could get it because of shortages due to the wildfires. They called the RX plan, the plan tracked down a pharmacy with it, plan confirmed the RX, placed it on hold, called employee, they picked it up the next day.

I honestly think may peoples' problem's with the health care industry is because they have cheapo insurance or shopping at or using bargain basement providers. Maybe it's just me but I won't reduce my health to cheap.

Old 08-26-2023, 10:54 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
I’ve had the same doctor for about 11 years, so maybe things are done differently now.

I just called to make an appointment as a new patient with a doctor (whose office is with other doctors).

I was told that a different doctor would have to approve of the doctor I wanted (just a PCP), and that he would have to take down some information to do a background check.

Okay, stop. The. Bus.

I said, “No, wait a minute. The doctor I want to see has to have permission from another doctor to see me?”

Answer: “Yes, then he will do a background check and we will call you with an appointment time. So, can I get your information?”

Me: “Why do you need a background check? That sounds as if you need to know if I’m a felon or don’t pay my bills.” (At this point, I was thinking that I was misunderstanding the term and that they used the words ‘background check’ to mean something else.)

Answer: “Well, it’s more for controlled substances. Can I get your information?”

Me: “No, I have more questions. So, I take 2 prescriptions. I don’t take street drugs. So where does put me? “

Answer: “I’m sure there won’t be an issue. Can I get your information?”

Me: “No. I’m no longer interested. I can’t deal with this.”

Tell me. Am I completely out-of-touch? Is this the new “normal”?
I would have said no, too.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:44 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Although chemotherapy drugs are not a controlled substance, some associate prescription for treatment could be. Think about a basic root canal, you get a RX for antibiotics but may also get an RX for a small number of medication for pain management which are usually a controlled substance.

As for pharmacy issues, this may only apply to administered plans but all our former an current plans had a toll-free number we can call if having problems finding a medication. Patient called them, they found it, they confirmed filling with a pharmacy and they called us to say where it's available. Just had that happen with an asthma medication. Employee could get it because of shortages due to the wildfires. They called the RX plan, the plan tracked down a pharmacy with it, plan confirmed the RX, placed it on hold, called employee, they picked it up the next day.

I honestly think may peoples' problem's with the health care industry is because they have cheapo insurance or shopping at or using bargain basement providers. Maybe it's just me but I won't reduce my health to cheap.

The OP mentioned that the drugs in question were for "cancer treatment", that's why I asked in response to that post if they were for chemotherapy, or might they be drugs prescribed to counter the side effects of the chemotherapy. The chemo drugs wouldn't be controlled substances, but most likely would not be available via prescription on demand from the local friendly retail pharmacy, and I gave the example of how the specialty pharmacy our prescription drug plan uses works- I'm sure other insurances differ in how chemo or other specialty drugs are obtained ( or if they're even covered). I realize some of the prescribed meds to mitigate side effects from chemo would be controlled substances, and I've no doubt people have to jump through hoops to get those with the way things are these days.

I agree with you about not all drug plan providers being equal. I've heard complaints from health care providers about how some of the insurance companies demand prior authorization for what seems like virtually every medication, apply restrictions when it comes to refills, number of pills/tabs in a refill, and mandate the use of one pharmacy chain only. Between patient, provider and pharmacy employee confusion, it can get pretty tough to get even routine maintenance meds and refills without jumping through hoops.

IMO our federal employee BC/BS drug plan standard option, while it's not cheap, provides the best prescription drug program on the planet- worth the money we pay for it. Their customer service has always been excellent, and I've found they go the extra mile to help straighten out problems, even those caused by the pharmacy, provide information to the patient, and they have a wide selection of in-network pharmacies, allowing for use of a local or smaller chain pharmacy ( I use the local Medicine Shoppe) for the same copays and for much better customer service.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:36 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
OP, I most definitely would have done the same - no thank you and don't let the door I'm slamming hit you in your arse. But there would be one exception to that attitude and I would do some digging to see if there's any sanctions against that doctor. He could be a compassionate doctor and may be supervised for a reason.

The problem with the opioid crisis is we have so many in pain that are now not being treated. The pendulum has swing too far in the other direction. I've been under the same doctor's care for 15 years and all is good there - if I need something, I get it; but the various surgeons I've had scare the crap out of me. One surgery, I was given an extra dose of Novocain (this is well before Exparel came on the market - that's a Novocain that lasts for days) and Toradol (Nsaid), so that narcotics need not be prescribed. Lucky for me, an alert nurse came by to check on me and saw that I was swelling up (bleeding out), hit the code alarm and I was back in surgery. All because he avoids prescribing narcotics. The 2nd surgeon sent me up to ICU with Fentanyl.

We need to find the correct fine line. If doctors practice in fear, then their patients suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness