Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 05:29 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times

Advertisements

Heavymind
I love that you love sleeping in hotel beds. I marvel at friends who can't sleep in a bed that's not their own, or can't sleep well away from home. Oh, heck I can!...especially if it's in a hotel bed. I can pretty much sleep anywhere....as long as it's not noisy and the surface isn't too hard.

For example, my days of sleeping on the floor are over. Mostly just because I don't have to. So why would I? But I did sleep on the floor well into my 40s.

Slept on a friend's futon recently that had a bar under the center of the mattress. Was it uncomfortable? Sure. But I still fell right to sleep.

Also, yeah, I'm not crazy about waking up to an alarm.
But I'm only two years and 3 months from retiring. So, thankfully, there's a light at the end of that tunnel. (AND I can't wait)

It has helped that my cell phone alarm let's me pick from over a dozen sounds that's I'd prefer to wake me....and control the volume. So obviously I've picked an alarm I don't mind waking up to...as much as one can not mind an alarm at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 10:42 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,065,176 times
None of us would buy a used mattress but we'll pay $200+ a night to sleep on one. Pillows and spreads don't get changed between every guest to save money. To save more money, some nice hotels have been caught not changing sheets and pillow cases between guests if they are gently used, no visible stains.

Old 09-14-2023, 11:16 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Whether the pillow case was changed or not.....I've always sleep very well on it.

Also, do you have the article or news story that names those hotels?

If a person is that concerned about it, they should take their own linens. And I have no doubt some people do.

When I travel lately it's for business. And I take one carry-on. I certainly don't have room for my own bed linens. But like I said I'm sure some people as part of their routine don't mind paying for an additional bag so they can take their own linens.

Whatever gets them comfortable, health-promoting sleep is the main thing.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:23 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I generally need around 7-8 hours of sleep each night and have no problem falling asleep, although if and when I wake up at maybe 3 or 4 in the morning it can take some time falling asleep again.

A few years ago I started getting what is known as 'night-terrors' once every few months. Night-terrors are a 'dream-like' state except that they occur during non-REM sleep and involve, at least as it manifests with me, being menaced or threatened by either an animal, a person, or in at least one episode, by a fantom. And I can't defend myself against the threat of being attacked though I never am actually attacked. When having a night-terror the person may scream or yell as well kick and flail around and I have thrown myself out of bed onto the floor.

I had a night-terror last Thursday night, but it was different this time because as soon as it started I knew what it was. Much like with a lucid dream in which you know that you are dreaming, I knew I was having a night-terror and decided not to try to defend myself and the episode resolved calmly. The person who was menacing me with a knife just faded away after a few moments and I woke up.

Sometimes it's easier to fall asleep during the day-time than at night.
Wow, another night-terror person! My husband is just like you, writhing, muttering, yelling, striking out, even falling out of bed. He's grabbed me a couple times and I hate that. He's been like that on and off since he was a kid, he says. Luckily, it's not often.

We started the wake-up-at-2-or-3 about 10 years ago and that was no fun at all. Often, could not get back to sleep. Then we discovered mj brownies and have had uninterrupted sleep since. It's been a miracle for us. When traveling, we can't bring it so we suffer, lol.

We watch TV until about midnight, then read in bed (Kindle for me, phone for him) for up to an hour, then nod off. With 2 fans and the a/c running, we don't hear anything, plus the sound of the ocean covers a lot. I sleep until about 9:00, then read in bed until almost noon.

Like you, OP, I spend most of the day (until about 3 pm) in bed too. Sitting up of course. Doing my thing with my stuff all around me. The master suite can be closed off so I can control the temperature in here, and DH can sit on the couch in the much-warmer LR, which he prefers. Plus the ocean view is the best in here!

Old 09-14-2023, 12:59 PM

1,196 posts, read 529,793 times
Having probs right now with getting back to sleep once I get up to use bathroom. I have breathing techniques, but they're not working now.

I stopped taking magnesium after I read you have to be extremely careful with it for some reason (kidneys?). I will book appointment with naturopathic doc soon (he had prescribed the magnesium a few years ago, but I never got into the habit of taking it and recently read of concerns regarding it).

Old 09-14-2023, 01:33 PM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Most of the nights I sleep well, but there are nights when I don't. Never found a reason. Then I am up 36 hrs or so - the next night I sleep like a log
I don't need long sleep, usually it's 5 hrs or so. I am a night owl, since I was little.
It helped me a lot that all my adult life I had no set hours at work, or could make my own schedule. So, I was very seldom there before 10AM - I like to start my day without being rushed, have warm breakfast in peace, read news...

When I am awake, I don't want to stay in bed. I don't watch TV (no TV there), rarely read book in bed or news on the phone. I don't work from my bed or eat (the idea of breakfast in bed would irritate me madly!). No desk or computer or any work stuff there.
In my mind bed and bedroom are intended primarily for sleeping and ...you know what I mean
When it's sleep time and I am awake, I move to other rooms or sit in the kitchen, get mildly occupied till I feel sleepy again. Happens very seldom, though.

My bedroom doesn't have darkening drapes, it's pitch dark during the night anyway, but I like to wake up to natural light.
When I am living overseas, I like to sleep with my windows tilted, even when outside is freezing cold. Not happening in TX unless it's 55F and below at night. Not many nights like that, sadly, but I love fresh air.

My bed:
I sleep on a twin bed, and any bigger bed feels strange and uncomfortable for just myself. I don't want all the space around me, since I don't toss and turn and need very little space for myself.
When my SO stays over, we move to my second bedroom that has a queen bed.

The mattress and bedding:
My beds have natural Dunlop latex mattresses. No box springs, just slats.
I found it most comfortable for me and it doesn't sag or make me sweaty. Perhaps it's just my habit - had latex mattresses most of my life. Hotel beds are too soft for me, even if l request hard bed and pillows, but I am usually way too tired to think about.
I travel a lot, but don't take any sheets or towels with me. I inspect the room, though. Never had aby issues.

Bedding: Goose down only - duvets and pillows, with cotton sheets. No polyester mix.
Personal size (60"x86") not a big duvet to share - I like my own Euro size pillows, high and firm (all are 850 fill).

Light: soft light, no ceiling lights or fans.

Temperature: 74F and below in Winter.

Scents: none. Just fresh, clean air.

Noice: when I am tired, I don't care - funny, I will still wake up to a strange noice, even a faint one.
But my bedrooms are very quiet - no traffic or city noise, no passing by cars, just occasionally deer walking by, birds singing or squirrels playing on the roof. Neighbors are spread out and quiet.
Overseas my house is standing on a beach, so I only hear birds (sea gulls are pretty loud) and sea waves when they lash the shore. Occasionally a distant blast from a ship horn. Also pitch black there.
I don't need or want white noise, or TV to fill the void, or distraction at anytime.

Sleep quality:
Thankfully, I don't get up at night for any reason, so I have uninterrupted sleep, and get up when I wake up and ready, whatever time. Thankfully I don't have any obligations.

The house is pitch dark at night (l know the layout and where things are by my heart), all doors are open - I still want to hear if there are any strange noises.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:27 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,732 times
My sleep has been a nightmare since menopause hit. Just awful. Being awake all night and going to work in a hospital with 12hr shifts was the worst thing ever. Tried everything and some worked for a while and some never. Loved sleeping and loved my bed before all this. I am retired now, 2019, and that is a great relief from working sleep deprived. My last ditch effort has been THC gummies, they work and work every night. I'm sleeping well and grateful.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:56 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Wow, another night-terror person! My husband is just like you, writhing, muttering, yelling, striking out, even falling out of bed. He's grabbed me a couple times and I hate that. He's been like that on and off since he was a kid, he says. Luckily, it's not often.

We started the wake-up-at-2-or-3 about 10 years ago and that was no fun at all. Often, could not get back to sleep. Then we discovered mj brownies and have had uninterrupted sleep since. It's been a miracle for us. When traveling, we can't bring it so we suffer, lol.

We watch TV until about midnight, then read in bed (Kindle for me, phone for him) for up to an hour, then nod off. With 2 fans and the a/c running, we don't hear anything, plus the sound of the ocean covers a lot. I sleep until about 9:00, then read in bed until almost noon.

Like you, OP, I spend most of the day (until about 3 pm) in bed too. Sitting up of course. Doing my thing with my stuff all around me. The master suite can be closed off so I can control the temperature in here, and DH can sit on the couch in the much-warmer LR, which he prefers. Plus the ocean view is the best in here!
It's supposedly rare for adults to experience night-terrors. Children who have them usually grow out of them and, according to what I've read, don't even remember the episodes but wake up unaware of having had them. As an adult I do remember them and they aren't pleasant.

As for waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning, I suppose I'm glad that I do, otherwise I might pee the bed which I prefer not to do.

Old 09-14-2023, 05:31 PM

30,424 posts, read 21,228,470 times
I used to sleep from around 1 am till noon when i was young and dumb. I was never a nite person in my 20's until now. I would always die out around 10pm unless i was fishing offshore at nite. Now i just can't make it past 930pm most nites.

I was always tired also until around a few years ago. I stopped smoking in 2014 and that is when things went downhill with my sleeping. So now i go right right to sleep when i go to bed and wake around 3am everyday.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM

2,054 posts, read 996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
None of us would buy a used mattress but we'll pay $200+ a night to sleep on one. Pillows and spreads don't get changed between every guest to save money.
Totally true, but there's no hotel anywhere that's swapping out pillows and mattresses between guests...though I'd wager there's a few bizarre entitled celebrities who demand brand new everything in their room because they can just pay for it. I NEVER sleep in hotel beds with the bedspread on the bed. It gets pulled off onto the floor immediately upon checking in. Doubt those are ever laundered and probably just get replaced once they look or smell gross. I trust that most hotels do use clean sheets and pillowcases. One of my first jobs was cleaning rooms at a budget motel chain and sheets were always changed and washed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness