Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 11:32 AM

708 posts, read 1,296,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I use Ambien often which requires an rx. It works okay.

Can you tell me which non-rx sleep aids you've used that worked and which ones haven't?
I just thought it would be nice if I could use something besides the Ambien.

I can usually take a nap during the day if I want to. But I can't fall asleep at night without the Ambien.

I've been taking Ambien for around 30 years and had to switch to the 12.5 mg tabs as i was getting Iused to the 10 mg tabs. I can't say how much the Ambien is helping me at this point, but it does help me to sleep so I'll keep on keeping on. I also take very high dose CBD/THC gummies at night as well. My pain management clinic recommended the gummies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 02:11 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Amitryptyline is a very effective sleep aide (Rx). I used to use it and have a prescription for it but it puts me so far under that the house could probably catch on fire and I wouldn't wake up. I take a Tylenol PM instead when I wake up at the usual 2:30 AM when my frozen gel pack thaws and my neck is really hurting. Then it takes me a while to get back to sleep, but at least I can get up if I need to. I just discussed this with my weight loss Dr. last week because poor sleep is a big factor in weight management.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 538,024 times
Edibles

Old 10-17-2023, 05:30 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
I've had insomnia my whole life. I tried Ambien and Lunesta and they had bad side effects. Things that do work without side effects are valerian root, Calea Zacatechichi, chamomile tea, L-tryptophan, L-lysine, and melatonin. When I first tried melatonin I felt like I was walking through jello the next day and didn't try it again for decades, then I read that was probably a dose issue so I tried 2mg and it works without that side effect.

I usually rotate them as taking anything long term is usually not a great idea.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:49 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We have a marijuana brownie at about 7:30 and sleep uninterrupted through the entire night.

It's great, no dependence and no effects the next day. No meds with bad side effects.

We haven't napped since we were children.
That's interesting. Do you have one every night? Can you sleep without having one?

Old 10-17-2023, 06:51 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times
My problem is I often wake up at 4-5am and I can't fall back to sleep, I go to bed about 11pm. I wonder if anything suggested in this thread would help me get back to sleep for a couple of hours? I am tired all day long when this happens.

I have tried melatonin when I wake up early, but that really makes me groggy all day long. I have to check how strong the dose I have is.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:45 PM

690 posts, read 641,574 times
My doctor put me on a low dose of Trazodone for this reason. It's very helpful.

For non-prescription, 1/2 a Zyrtec works wonders but I feel a tad sleepy in the morning.

Allegra the night before also helps.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:18 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,303,227 times
I used to love Tylenol PM, occasionally that is, not something you want to take every night or even a few nights a week. But as I aged I found it tended to cause vertigo where I’d sleep but when I woke up at some point and turned over or got up to use the bathroom the whole place would be spinning

Old 10-17-2023, 09:56 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,798 times
My friend that worked nights and slept in the day time also used Trazodone.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:15 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
My friend that worked nights and slept in the day time also used Trazodone.
The reason I originally sought medical treatment for a lifelong sleeping disorder was I was traveling a lot (4-5 time zones) and the jetlag mixed with insomnia was unbearable. I had the same issues doing shift work. At one time I had a job that alternated 2 weeks 8am-8pm followed by 2 weeks 8pm-8am. Only a weekend in between to try and adjust. That was way worse than the jet lag thing and I probably only managed to survive it because I was in my early 20's. I remember one time I woke up (exhausted) thinking I was late for work thinking it was late morning because of the amount of daylight and time on the clock, but it was actually late evening and I mistook AM/PM. I called in and explained I was on my way, sorry for being late etc, and they were like, WTF are you talking about? When I returned to work on the proper schedule they drug tested me! (And YES, I passed). Crazy to think they believed I was the problem for their insane and unreasonable work schedule... I never missed a day of work!

Last edited by terracore; 10-17-2023 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness