Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 06:42 AM

5,010 posts, read 603,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You smoke in your house? And you put smoking inside over connecting with loved ones? And you'd rather smoke than treating your chronic lung disease? That's not just a little vice.
Nicotine causes chemical or biological changes in the brain. This effect is called psychoactive and although it is less dramatic than heroin or cocaine, the strength of the addiction is just as powerful. It is a ‘reinforcing’ drug, which means that users desire the drug regardless of the damaging effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 06:51 AM

2,010 posts, read 1,228,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Nicotine causes chemical or biological changes in the brain. This effect is called psychoactive and although it is less dramatic than heroin or cocaine, the strength of the addiction is just as powerful. It is a ‘reinforcing’ drug, which means that users desire the drug regardless of the damaging effects.

Aren't all drugs "reinforcing" drugs?

I smoked for years, thank God I quit...awful habit on so many levels.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,351,674 times
I have a SIL who smokes like a smoke stack (so did my brother, her husband, before he died of pancreatic cancer). It is so so bad in her house that I can't stay there (and I am not adversely affected by smoke like some people are, but enough is enough!). Also, her own daughter won't let my SIL's grandchild spend any time there either. It's terrible, and terrible that she can't see what she's doing to her family.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:39 AM

23,350 posts, read 29,230,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You smoke in your house? And you put smoking inside over connecting with loved ones? And you'd rather smoke than treating your chronic lung disease? That's not just a little vice.
Loved ones? Former loved ones? You're aware of the invisible steel wall that separates this country today right?

My former loved ones are Ultra-religious, anti-abortion _____ lovers!

If I visited them in summer, yes, I'd happily go outside, but not at Xmas, where there could be below zero windchill!

And yes, I'd rather continue to smoke than treat my lung disease! That's my right!

Old 11-30-2023, 07:43 PM

5,469 posts, read 3,558,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was flabbergasted when I discovered that Filipino's spend more time on their Smartphones than anywhere else in the world, a whopping 9 hours a day! And what is that doing to their health or those even spending 4-5-6 hours a day on their Smartphones? And the effect on productivity? I saw it in the nursing profession, any chance a nurse had to pick up their Smartphone! I even saw a police officer downtown Tucson one nite, on his Smartphone, laughing at something he was seeing, and no patrolling.

Some people are addicted to owning and driving a car (even a number of them could live without that addiction in their lives), or addicted to the drug Caffeine (and yes, caffeine is a drug no matter how you look at it) or addicted to sweets, food. Tobacco, being an herb with medicinal properties, can act as an appetite suppressant.

My one fear of quitting, after 55 years of smoking, is I'll gain weight. My Dad quit after 50 years of smoking, gained 50 pounds and ending up having bypass surgery. My sister quit and she likes to say: I'd rather be fat than smoking!

Perhaps all this quitting smoking has contributed to the obesity epidemic in this country.

One of the big pluses in smoking is I don't have to clean my house very often anymore, or knock myself out cooking for guests, as when I'm telling them I'm still smoking (not telling them I won't smoke in my house, which they're not to know) they make other plans. Hooray, Hooray, hooray!
I totally understand your thinking... when I was still smoking I'd name all the other addictions and talk about them instead of smoking... how could people eat things that gave them high cholesterol, don't they know they will have a heart attack??? Don't walk outside in the city, that car and bus exhaust will get you sick fast! Two glasses of wine at night, oh wow!! I tried to convince myself that all other "vices" were so much worse than smoking, but guess what, they aren't. If I could still smoke and have it not harm me, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:10 AM

1,967 posts, read 886,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
But I still think that smoking is one of the "easier" addictions to quit. Sure you feel like absolute crappola for the 1st few days, but it slowly passes.

Compare that to a true alcoholic, quitting is so difficult because your body actually needs the alcohol to function. You can't quit cold turkey.

Spouse would disagree with you.

He has been sober for 34 years, after completing a hard-core rehab that my employee health insurance paid for & being a active friend of Bill W. After going through the hell that one does when your SO is a alcoholic/addict, I didn't give a crap if he smoked, as long as he stayed sober. After 5 years of sobriety, he quit smoking of his own volition, so is coming up on 30 smoke-free years. He's said many times that quitting smoking was harder than quitting drinking, & while he no longer craves ETOH, he still misses smoking.

An aside, his liver & pancreas fully healed, his lungs did not.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:37 AM

23,350 posts, read 29,230,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post

An aside, his liver & pancreas fully healed, his lungs did not.
When I tell people I have COPD/Emphysema and they see me smoking, invariably the question arises: Why don't you quit?

If you encountered someone with AIDS, would you say to that person: It's about time you resort to safer sex, using condoms!

The damage has been done, it's irreversible.

My Aunt was diagnosed with emphysema in her late 70's so she quit for a year and she was still having respiratory issues during that year, panic attacks, and so she took up smoking again, smoked for another 2 years and died.

Quitting is not going to extend my life!

I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility for 20 years and I saw all kinds of health issues and deaths and I can think of worse things to die of. I took care of Lou Gerhig patients. Oh lord! You have to remain seated until your death, for if you lie down, you choke to death. And there were the unenvious quadriplegic's as a result of car accidents. And those that stroked out and ended up bedridden the rest of their lives.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:15 AM

51,218 posts, read 24,681,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I tell people I have COPD/Emphysema and they see me smoking, invariably the question arises: Why don't you quit?

If you encountered someone with AIDS, would you say to that person: It's about time you resort to safer sex, using condoms!

The damage has been done, it's irreversible.

My Aunt was diagnosed with emphysema in her late 70's so she quit for a year and she was still having respiratory issues during that year, panic attacks, and so she took up smoking again, smoked for another 2 years and died.

Quitting is not going to extend my life!

I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility for 20 years and I saw all kinds of health issues and deaths and I can think of worse things to die of. I took care of Lou Gerhig patients. Oh lord! You have to remain seated until your death, for if you lie down, you choke to death. And there were the unenvious quadriplegic's as a result of car accidents. And those that stroked out and ended up bedridden the rest of their lives.
On the other hand, I have a relative who is an operating room nurse. Several times she has been involved in lung surgeries for the same person 2 and even 3 times. She was amazed at how the blackness in the lungs of smokers had resolved to a large extent if they stopped smoking.

I also have a friend/colleague who, when he was about 55 had lung cancer from smoking and have to have part of a lung removed. He's now 92. But after his first surgery he quit smoking.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:18 AM

26,879 posts, read 27,068,616 times
re: "Sure you feel like absolute crappola for the 1st few days, but it slowly passes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is something I didn't understand when I tried quitting the first couple of times. I didn't try that hard, but I thought I was going to feel that way forever. I felt so, so, sad, as if I'd lost my best friend.
I felt like that for an entire year after quitting. As if someone had cut off one of my limbs; it was horrible. It's one of the reasons I could never take up smoking again....what was involved in attempts to quit was so difficult.

Old 12-02-2023, 04:28 AM

30,668 posts, read 21,531,433 times
I never noticed any change when i stopped. I had a patch on and it fell off and i never knew it until 8 hours later gator and i said the heck with with them patches. If the price to smoke went back to 1980's prices i would puff away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness