Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 09:18 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It does, but then again look around. How many people do you see that who are walking Heart Attacks in Waiting?

Yes, some people have one that's totally unexpected (like me, except maybe in retrospect) but many more look like they are going to have one any minute.
The weird thing is of the sudden deaths that I'm aware of, a good many of them were healthy, even youngish people.

Look at people like Keith Richards (love him!) who has looked like he's been cheating death for decades compared to John Ritter who looked like he still had plenty of years left on this planet.

There have been healthy marathon runners who have dropped dead. Life can be really random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 09:32 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

There have been healthy marathon runners who have dropped dead. Life can be really random.
Yes there have. Of course, the sudden cardiac death rate for this group is far less than the average for the population overall.

Old 12-26-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Yes there have. Of course, the sudden cardiac death rate for this group is far less than the average for the population overall.
I've actually personally known more people who have suffered sudden cardiac death after running or they were at least regular runners who collapsed suddenly at home.

Over exercising can be stressful on the body and the heart in particular.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:20 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
From the paper:

The traditional dominant risk factor for sudden death is coronary artery disease. However, we have found, as have others,[12,13] that coronary artery disease is less common in the modern era than anticipated.[14] Other risk factors are common and include hypertension,[15,16] left ventricular hypertrophy,[16,17] diabetes,[18] metabolic syndrome,[19] chronic respiratory disease,[20,21] mental illness,[22,23] and substance misuse.

Sudden cardiac death is a real thing on my mothers side, she (74), her father (64) and her grandfather (60) died suddenly.
I don't think any were diagnosed with cardiac issues before their death.

Smoking nearly killed my BIL, he is very lucky not to be suddenly dead of arterial fissure. His father died of similar cause but BIL was somehow not aware he was at risk too.

I also remember a 40-something female client I knew years back who died suddenly on a treadmill while being given cardiac test. Yes apparently she had a cardiac problem.

Trying to be proactive with my own health I asked my primary doc what test I can take to check my cardiac health.
She said there are not many but if I was willing to pay $200 in case my insurance rejected it she'd schedule one.

I'll have to look the test name up because I couldn't schedule the only date they had available (and re-schedule!)

The probability of "sudden death" is quite a new concept to understand.
Seems to be both important and undiscussed.
Because of family history my husband and I both had Coronary CT Calcium scans last month to get our Coronary Artery Calcium/CAC scores, the amount of calcified plaque in our arteries. This wasn't covered by insurance and cost us about $120. We have different doctors that recommended different additional tests. Neither of us had any other health issues or symptoms but we both have some calcified plaque, which is scary. But now we know. We've both been put on low dose statins which are supposed to stop/slow additional calcification.

We're both 65, active, healthy weight, don't eat junk, don't drink alcohol or smoke. We've had fit, healthy friends die that sudden death recently.

Good thread topic.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:33 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
Random thought: Nature may have little interest in human beings longevity once they have reproduced the next generation and that generation is self-sufficient. So maybe death over the age of 45 in a non-event...unless it's your death or someone you love.

Researching my and husbands family cause of death is my 2024 goal now.
I've done genealogy research in previous years on familysearch.org and just noticed his male line is short-lived (40-50s), his father grew up with grandmother because father-mother both died, now he needs to find cause of death to see if it may improve his chances for longer life. He's 75 and doing fine.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:34 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Because of family history my husband and I both had Coronary CT Calcium scans last month to get our Coronary Artery Calcium/CAC scores, the amount of calcified plaque in our arteries. This wasn't covered by insurance and cost us about $120. We have different doctors that recommended different additional tests. Neither of us had any other health issues or symptoms but we both have some calcified plaque, which is scary. But now we know. We've both been put on low dose statins which are supposed to stop/slow additional calcification.

We're both 65, active, healthy weight, don't eat junk, don't drink alcohol or smoke. We've had fit, healthy friends die that sudden death recently.

Good thread topic.
A very wise decision on your part. That's the thing: The so called "healthy" avid exercisers are in fact not healthy, they just don't know it because there's an underlying, undiscovered problem. Whether they would have died even earlier (or instead later) if not working to improve their fitness is the question...

Old 12-26-2023, 10:37 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Good thread topic.

Thanks! That was the test my doctor scheduled and I need to get done.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:51 AM

7,521 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I hope you get the answers you seek. I'm sorry for your loss.

A sudden death at 60 seems pretty shocking even though it happens. A sudden death at 90 seems less surprising as they have lived well beyond the age of average life expectancy. Either way, it can be jarring to those left behind.
After 55 they no longer put "unexpected" on your death certificate.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:54 AM

2,027 posts, read 985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Maybe read the link before commenting?
That's not a requirement for that sort of commenter, LOL.

Old 12-26-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
After 55 they no longer put "unexpected" on your death certificate.
Dang. Makes you realize that we better live and enjoy life while we have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness