Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 09:20 AM

3,167 posts, read 1,270,573 times

Advertisements

Are people who live healtier any more likely to die less painfully?

Last edited by The Grandeur; 04-08-2024 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 09:48 AM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
No.

Old 04-08-2024, 01:25 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Yes, because your risk of dying from a painful disease such as cancer is decreased.

Old 04-08-2024, 02:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Yes, because your risk of dying from a painful disease such as cancer is decreased.
I had cancer, and there was no pain at all caused by it, only the treatments were painful. People die in their sleep from heart attacks or other illness all the time, without pain. I would say no, not only can a healthy person die in great pain from various sudden medical events and being healthy doesn't help if you are shot or hit by a bus.

Old 04-08-2024, 02:45 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I had cancer, and there was no pain at all caused by it, only the treatments were painful. People die in their sleep from heart attacks or other illness all the time, without pain. I would say no, not only can a healthy person die in great pain from various sudden medical events and being healthy doesn't help if you are shot or hit by a bus.
This (though obviously if you're writing this post you didn't die from your cancer and can't say with any certainty how painful that was ). Hopefully you never find out!

Old 04-08-2024, 02:46 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Bizarre question.

Last time I looked, how healthy a person was made no difference how much pain they suffered after being blown up by a bomb, shot by a home intruder, mangled in a car accident, or flattened by a speeding bus. A seemingly healthy person could die from a burst aneurism or brain bleed. Who knows how much pain they were in when they died. They can't come back from beyond the grave to tell anyone.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Yes and no.

Today many people are obese and that brings in its wake many other ailments.

I look around among our friends. Most of whom are obese and often with failing kidneys. Our neighbor just died months ago from kidney failure and dialysis.

Look around inside a Walmart. You will see a lot of obese people riding electric carts, when walking would be the best therapy for them, but instead, they ride and grow fatter.

During the recent plannedemic, most people who died of the 'Rona' actually died from Co-Morbidities. The virus brought down their immune systems to such an extent that all of their other ailments were enough to kill them. If they had refused to carry those other ailments then the Rona would not have killed them.

A few years ago, my A1C got too high. My PCP wanted to start me on diabetes drugs. From my research those diabetes drugs are a one-way path to insulin resistance and eventual kidney failure. I refused the drugs and instead changed my diet, my A1C went back down, and my PCP dropped it.

Anyone could be struck by lightning at anytime. Even a very healthy person can drop dead. But the majority of our population chooses to be sick, to carry ailments that threaten their lives.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

...Look around inside a Walmart. You will see a lot of obese people riding electric carts, when walking would be the best therapy for them, but instead, they ride and grow fatter..
Overweight are much more likely to suffer from extreme arthritis pain too, which is probably the most common pain complaint for the elderly.

I believe the OP meant the pain suffered during the gradual process of dying a so called "normal" death, not that experienced at the moment of dying.

However, it could be the latter is also true. Sort of hard to tell for sure, right?

Old 04-09-2024, 09:02 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Overweight are much more likely to suffer from extreme arthritis pain too, which is probably the most common pain complaint for the elderly.

I believe the OP meant the pain suffered during the gradual process of dying a so called "normal" death, not that experienced at the moment of dying.

However, it could be the latter is also true. Sort of hard to tell for sure, right?
Yes, exactly.

I have multiple friends who are currently going through the end-stage process of dying.

They are miserable and in pain.

All of this obesity and diabetes leads eventually to organ failure and dialysis. Which destroys your arteries, and eventually leads to a slow painful death.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:17 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Cancer... maybe, maybe not. SOME cancers might be the result of unhealthy lifestyle choices, but many are not, or at least they aren't/ weren't consciously unhealthy choices. My ex has a form of cancer from years of breathing noxious paint fumes, before it was widely know how damaging those fumes were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness