Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 02:06 PM

88,868 posts, read 85,274,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You can lightly fry with it also. Things like sliced zucchini or eggplant, and fish that cook quickly. You aren't going to deep fry chicken and that sort of food that takes a long time to cook in very hot oil. You just need to watch it and not turn the heat way up, but it's still hot enough to fry. I only use olive oil at home and do it all the time without it smoking or burning.
You can also roast veggies in the oven drizzled and or coated with olive oil like broccoli, cabbage, green beans, cauliflower. I also use it for baking whenever a recipe calls for vegetable or canola oil like pumpkin bread or some muffins. It works quite well and I don't taste any difference in the final product. Traditional foccacia bread which is baked in the oven always has a liberal amount of olive oil. Hey, I'm Mediterranean. Olive oil is the only thing I know, .
That's kind of what I meant. You can't deep fry. I use olive oil, too, but I'm of Dutch descent. We didn't know about olive oil when I grew up. We knew about butter.

Did have vegetable oil, but we were not big on frying much. Just occasionally fish.

I mostly use olive oil for cooking. We northern Europeans in NJ learned about your food when Italians started moving to the burbs a couple of generations ago. . Now we're just as picky about Italian food as the neighbors whose names end in vowels!

Old 05-18-2024, 02:31 PM

17,388 posts, read 11,373,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's kind of what I meant. You can't deep fry. I use olive oil, too, but I'm of Dutch descent. We didn't know about olive oil when I grew up. We knew about butter.

Did have vegetable oil, but we were not big on frying much. Just occasionally fish.

I mostly use olive oil for cooking. We northern Europeans in NJ learned about your food when Italians started moving to the burbs a couple of generations ago. . Now we're just as picky about Italian food as the neighbors whose names end in vowels!
I figured you knew a lot about olive oil and pizza too because of where you are. I posted what I did mostly for the benefit of others because I have no idea where this notion came from that you can't cook with olive oil. I've heard it before. Some Italian food wouldn't even exist if you couldn't cook with it.

Last edited by marino760; 05-18-2024 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 06:00 PM

12,642 posts, read 9,798,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurology/dementia/109986I believe that this is something that we already assumed because of lower Alzheimer's mortality in Italy and Greece. But it's great to finally see this come to light with clinical results
Thanks for sharing. I see this is being widely attacked by our internet experts. For what it's worth, in the real world, JAMA Network Open is a highly respected journal, the Harvard School of Public Health is a highly respected institution, and a number of the authors, like Walter Willett and Frank Hu are among the biggest names in the field.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/profile/walter-c-willett/

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/profile/frank-b-hu/

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...?resultClick=1

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-18-2024 at 06:08 PM..

Old 05-18-2024, 06:57 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,051,072 times
^^^^^
I was surprised to read this:
"Exploratory subgroup analyses (eFigure in Supplement 1) showed associations between higher olive oil intake and lower risk of dementia-related mortality across most subgroups. No statistically significant associations were found in participants with a family history of dementia, living alone, using a multivitamin, and in non–APOE ε4 carriers."
This is not good.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:15 AM

7,355 posts, read 5,244,069 times
A) It's still all BS.....Look at that study under "Methods"-- questionnaire study (useless) asking "did you eat none, less than 4.5 gm, or more than 7gm of olive oil everyday?"...Anybody here have any idea how much olive oil is one gram?

2) Check out the baseline characteristics of participants....https://cdn.jamanetwork.com/ama/cont...5G5CRDK6RD3PGA. I didn't go thru them all, but those who used no olive oil were 33% more likely to be diabetic and 25% more likely to be smokers than those who used olive oil. (!!!)

Argument over. The study is useless at best and may be simply outright lies for propaganda purposes.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:01 AM

10,657 posts, read 7,874,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A) It's still all BS.....Look at that study under "Methods"-- questionnaire study (useless) asking "did you eat none, less than 4.5 gm, or more than 7gm of olive oil everyday?"...Anybody here have any idea how much olive oil is one gram? //
Right there in original article it said 7 gm was half a tablespoon, while 4.5 is a teaspoon. No doubt participants were advised of these basic measurement equivalents. Ridiculous complaint.

Old 05-20-2024, 05:59 PM

Thanks for clarifying that....That turns it from being ridiculously useless to merely outstandingly useless....Who keeps tract of how much oil they put in food? How do you know how much of it you actually Ingest? And how good is your memory of how often you used oil over two yr time spans? And did your custom change from yr to yr? Just stupid.

Even at that, their measurements are off-- a tbsp is 15 gm of water and a tsp is 5gm...So their guess at 4.5gm for oil is about right but a tbsp should then be 13.5gm.

They didn't get the basic arithmetic right and apparently ignored the major differences in the study vs control groups. Pretty sloppy research. Even worse editorial oversight.

Old 05-20-2024, 06:04 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,491,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Right there in original article it said 7 gm was half a tablespoon, while 4.5 is a teaspoon. No doubt participants were advised of these basic measurement equivalents. Ridiculous complaint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Thanks for clarifying that....That turns it from being ridiculously useless to merely outstandingly useless....Who keeps tract of how much oil they put in food? How do you know how much of it you actually Ingest? And how good is your memory of how often you used oil over two yr time spans? And did your custom change from yr to yr? Just stupid.

Even at that, their measurements are off-- a tbsp is 15 gm of water and a tsp is 5gm...So their guess at 4.5gm for oil is about right but a tbsp should then be 13.5gm.

They didn't get the basic arithmetic right and apparently ignored the major differences in the study vs control groups. Pretty sloppy research. Even worse editorial oversight.
The math is fine. Your reading comprehension is off.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The math is fine. Your reading comprehension is off.
You got me.

BUT-- they're still stupid. Liquids are measured in tsp/tbsp or cc's-- measures of volume, not mass. Weight/mass of a given volume varies according to the density of the material in question. I would submitt they used "gm" to cynically make it look more scientific to the naive.

Care to comment on the big dif between the rates of DM & smoking in the control vs oil groups and the effect that might have on outcomes, independent and more important than any effect of oil use?

Old Today, 08:32 AM

10,657 posts, read 7,874,788 times
This recent health study using a reported measure of olive oil consumption isn't exactly a novel idea. It's been done before a few times, for cardiovascular disease risk for instance.

Healthy fats are known to be anti inflammatory, so this association make sense IMO. But, "more study is needed".

"..I think it's a prospective study, and it's very hard because it's done over a large population - almost 92,000 people - who have different lifestyles. So I don't think based on this study, we can say a lot, but neurodegenerative disorders like dementia, Alzheimer's disease, and Parkinson's are strongly associated with high levels of inflammation..."

https://www.keranews.org/health-well...-from-dementia

Quoted person is a neurologist in Plano, Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness