Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 11:25 AM

3,548 posts, read 6,561,296 times

Advertisements

My left thumb hurts in the area near the bottom right part of the thumbnail. It hurts when I touch it. Bending my thumb slightly hurts.

The area that hurts the most is lighter in color, and there is a slight bump around it which is a little darker.

I can't think of anything that would have caused this. I've had it 12 hours. I guess it's an infection?

I will wait another 1-2 days and if it's still there I will go to the ER. I'm not sure I should go to my doctor as I only have Medicaid and he doesn't take it.

Any simple home treatments will help - like should I soak it in warm water?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 11:27 AM

51,038 posts, read 24,537,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
My left thumb hurts in the area near the bottom right part of the thumbnail. It hurts when I touch it. Bending my thumb slightly hurts.

The area that hurts the most is lighter in color, and there is a slight bump around it which is a little darker.

I can't think of anything that would have caused this. I've had it 12 hours. I guess it's an infection?

I will wait another 1-2 days and if it's still there I will go to the ER. I'm not sure I should go to my doctor as I only have Medicaid and he doesn't take it.

Thanks.
As a general rule, unless it is something alarming, if I have a pain somewhere I tend to ignore it for about 3 days before I seriously consider going to a doctor. Part of that, in my case, is age.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:38 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,110,638 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Sounds very minor, but of course none of us can see you or your thumb in person. Heat might make an ongoing infection/inflammation worse. A cold pack (remove after 10-15 minutes so the tissue can warm up again) can relieve minor pain and reduce swelling but for something so minor I probably wouldn't bother doing anything. If it got worse and the thumb itself started swelling, maybe I'd see someone about it.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:44 PM

I put some Neosporin on it. No idea if that will help.

Once I had an infected eyelid and held a warm tower over it. Didn't help at all.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I put some Neosporin on it. No idea if that will help.

Once I had an infected eyelid and held a warm tower over it. Didn't help at all.
If there's no open skin wound what do you expect Neosporin to do?

Old 05-14-2024, 01:10 PM

I don't know - should I try something else non-prescription?

Old 05-14-2024, 01:27 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,334,299 times
I'd call an ambulance immediately. It sounds like an emergency sore thumb. /sarcasm

Good grief kind sir, none of us can tell you what to do because we can't see it and we aren't your doctor. If you want proper care, you will have to see a doctor or nurse or PA or even your next door neighbor. Maybe your Medicaid card has an 800-nurse number on it.

Old 05-14-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know - should I try something else non-prescription?
Try something else? Sure. Stop worrying about it! No prescription needed (unless of course you can't manage your anxiety and require counseling)! There's no traumatic injury or open wound, it isn't swollen, hot, red, the nail isn't discolored or black, and you can flex your thumb. There isn't even a joint to wrap. Chances are this is absolutely nothing and will resolve on its own in a few days.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-14-2024 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2024, 03:37 PM

37,225 posts, read 41,421,631 times
Quote:

Thanks.
If it is not better in a few days, go to Urgent Care, not an Emergency Room.

Sounds like paronychia

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...ion-paronychia

"Can I treat paronychia at home?
You may be able to treat mild cases of paronychia at home. Soak the infected area in warm water for about 15 minutes a few times a day. Be sure to dry the area thoroughly. Soaking the cuticle and nailbed helps pus drain from under the skin.

If symptoms don’t get better after a day or two of home remedies, see your provider. You may need other treatments, such as antibiotics, to clear up the infection and help you heal. You may also need minor procedures such as drainage if an abscess has formed."

Topical antibiotics can be used.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/artic...BID%2FQID%20or

Old 05-14-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Try something else? Sure. Stop worrying about it! No prescription needed (unless of course you can't manage your anxiety and require counseling)! There's no traumatic injury or open wound, it isn't swollen, hot, red, the nail isn't discolored or black, and you can flex your thumb. There isn't even a joint to wrap. Chances are this is absolutely nothing and will resolve on its own in a few days.
it is swollen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness