Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I agree that too much sun can be bad for the skin.. but the recommendation in the original post doesn't seem to be excessive.

From first hand experience (I served almost 21 years in the Navy), I know that there are times during a 6-month deployment that many of my guys have not gone outside for long periods of time (weeks). We have everything we need inside the ship (places to eat, sleep, work, etc.). After a prolonged period without the sun, I notice a sharp increase in their despondence and depression. I can't say how many times I've "ordered" one of my Sailors to go outside and stand in the sun for 15-30 mins. I will make sure they get this time off for a week and the reaction is almost immediate. They seem happier, and have more energy.

Never did a scientific experiment on the value of this... I just know it helps!!
From a former U.S. Navy Shipmate here i know what your saying about being inside especially if you were a Snipe down in the holes or god forbid on a SSN or SSBN Submarine. I was a topside sailor so i always got to see the Sun and outdoor air. I used to love being on Forward Lookout above the bridge as out to sea you can where your T-Shirts and not Navy standard apparell so i'd always get a great tan especially when we were in the Caribbean as we spent most of my carrer down there in the fantastic Turqoise water and white sandy beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
and use olive oil instead of moisturizers and body lotions.
I thought i was the only person (besides Cleopatra...lol...) to rub Olive Oil all over my skin especially when i go out in the Sun.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
Rathagos wrote:
Never did a scientific experiment on the value of this... I just know it helps!!
Your personal experience, says more to me than volumes of SCIENTIFIC study.

I wonder, how did SCIENCE become the guidepost of our civilization? Why are we so willing to invalidate our own experience in favor of science?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 AM

I'm going to thow out some research here in that there are some studies showing that Caucasians that burn and don't tan should avoid the sun after 15 minutes and not burn where as Caucasians or other grouops of people that can tan have the P-53 Gene in the skin cells Genome. The P-56 Gene is what tans our skin to sun exposure and also is a tumor supressor and is also the Gene that turns on the ''High'' that some of us get being exposed to the sun.

You can google search this yourselves.
Skin Tanning And Sun Seeking Is Triggered By Tumour Suppressor Gene

Old 06-24-2008, 09:00 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I thought i was the only person (besides Cleopatra...lol...) to rub Olive Oil all over my skin especially when i go out in the Sun.
Olive oil study. Looks like there may be something to that.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
The ozone layer has been thinning out for decades, supposedly that increases the skin cancer from sun exposure risk, explaining why skin cancer is more common today.

I'm cutting back on my use of sunscreen, however, and being careful about sun exposure. What I think is that too many sunburns do cause skin cancer--everyone who I know who's had it got it by not using sunscreen. I also suspect that sunscreen causes other types of cancer, not necessarily skin cancer. I've stopped using moisturizers and body lotions because of all the potentially carcinogenic ingredients in them, also. I use relatively nontoxic sunscreens when absolutely necessary, and use olive oil instead of moisturizers and body lotions.
Special bright lights would help mood. I know many people who live in climates where there's not enough light can be down in the dumps, or else, downright depressed.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:42 AM

920 posts, read 2,814,117 times
I live by the "everything in moderation" motto. Some sun is good for you, and I think our bodies intuitively know that. Why else would the sunshine feel so wonderful and brighten our moods? It's interesting to look at old magazine ads from the 1920s and 1930s that tout the healthful benefits of winter excursions to "healthy Florida sunshine." They're full of these ads, aimed no doubt at pale, cold sickly New Yorkers looking to liven up.

I'm pretty fair-skinned and had lots of sunburns in my youth, and I'm paying for that with little pre-cancerous things that need to be monitored; however, since I was about 20 I've been careful not to get burned but to still get a *little* bit of gradual color.

Americans tend to overdo things, whether it's sun worshipping to the point of skin damage, or being so afraid to step outside without SPF 5000 on. Just use a little common sense.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Olive oil study. Looks like there may be something to that.
Thanks for that Brian as i love those studies .

Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I admit i'm a tad embarressed as my left arm is really dark and tanned from driving around alot as the Sun always shines on thru the window where as my right arm is less tanned so i look 2 toned....lol.....
If you go to a truck stop, you can sit in the trucker section without the waitress asking if you are a trucker...

Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
If you go to a truck stop, you can sit in the trucker section without the waitress asking if you are a trucker...
Or i'll have to start to driving turned backwards to get sun on my other arm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness