Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Or i'll have to start to driving turned backwards to get sun on my other arm
Maybe you could drive an British car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
I have had experiences in several of these lines of discussion.

I, too, am very fair-skinned and had many severe sunburns as a child. One put me in the hospital in Rehobeth Beach, Delaware for 2 days with severe second degree burns. Vomiting, fever, headaches, disorientation, blistered painful skin, the works.

By the time I was 12 I had become allergic to the sun, meaning that any sun exposure caused me to break out in hives. I have since found out that I have always had Lupus and photosensitivity is one of the auto-immune syndromes associated with systemic Lupus.

I, more than ever, have to be sure to cover all of my skin daily with sunscreen, wear a hat outdoors, and try to limit my exposure even in the car.

My father developed many skin cancers, had a very olive easy-to-tan complexion, and finally succumbed to the treatment of a melanoma on his scalp.

My mother and sister both have had skin cancers removed. The removal of even a small skin cancer is disfiguring and not at all something you want to experience.

The ozone layer is allowing more of the sun's harmful rays to penetrate the atmosphere. Sunlight is healthful and allows our skin to absorb Vitamin D. It is a mood enhancer. My mother suffered from light-deprevation depression and had to use a light box throughout the winter months. The light helps one's body to produce endorphins, which is a very good thing.

The point here is that we all have different tolerances for both sunlight and the lack of sunlight. We should always consider moderation in all things and now, in our slowly depreciating earth, more than ever.

I hope that all will exercise caution in the sun. I feel that even with the "suspected" health risks from using sunscreens and sunblocks, their use far outweighs the almost inevitable risk of skin cancer and melonoma. There are one million cases of skin cancer a year in the US alone. That is 1,000,000, most of which could be prevented. Only a small percentage of these are deadly melanomas, but why risk even the treatment of a basal cell skin cancer when it is so preventable.

The Skin Cancer Foundation - 2008 Skin Cancer Facts

Last edited by gemkeeper; 06-25-2008 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM

428 posts, read 1,630,804 times
The previous post is very good. I am a dermatologist, and I'll throw in my opinion on this.

Vitamin D is important, and we may be getting less than we used to think--so in a sunny climate, 10 to 15 minutes of sun exposure a few times a week is enough to get the Vit D. Also take D3 supplements.

Otherwise, esp. if you are fair-skinned, use sunblock of spf 30 or more and reapply it generously if in the sun over an hour, or swimming, etc.

There is NO doubt that cumulative sun exposure (listen, those of you who say you tan gradually so you don't get burned) greatly increases the risk of precancers, basal cell, and squamous cell skin cancers.

Melanoma is a little more difficult to pin down, but there is no doubt that repeated sunBURNS, esp. at a young age, increase the risk. Repeated tanning bed use has been shown to increase risk of melanoma by 50 to 100 % in young women. Also, melanoma risks are higher in those with red or blond hair, blue eyes and fair skin. If you have an immediate family member with melanoma, the risk goes up further.

And let me add, lifetime risk of melanoma in the U.S. has gone from 1 in 1500 in the 1930's to about 1 in 65 currently. It is no longer rare.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:04 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
I guess people didn't "lay out" as much, nor did they have tanning salons.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I NEVER use sunscreen becasue I am firmly convinced that the chemicals in suncreen are far more dangerous than exposure to the sun.!
I agree completely!!!

One day it will come out that sunscreen is highly carcinogenic. How can slathering chemicals on your (or even a baby's!) skin on a regular basis not be bad for you????

I don't put it on my kids either, unless we're going boating for a whole day or something. VERY rarely--maybe 2-3 times a year. I watch people putting it on their kids at the pool at 4:30pm day after day and think ugh...that cannot be good for them!!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:14 PM

428 posts, read 1,630,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I agree completely!!!

One day it will come out that sunscreen is highly carcinogenic. How can slathering chemicals on your (or even a baby's!) skin on a regular basis not be bad for you????

I don't put it on my kids either, unless we're going boating for a whole day or something. VERY rarely--maybe 2-3 times a year. I watch people putting it on their kids at the pool at 4:30pm day after day and think ugh...that cannot be good for them!!

Keep in mind that the ultraviolet rays from the sun are carcinogenic--and we know that for a fact. If you are that worried about the chemicals, get a sunblock that is labeled "chemical free" and/or has the only active ingredient being titanium or zinc.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
The previous post is very good. I am a dermatologist, and I'll throw in my opinion on this.

Vitamin D is important, and we may be getting less than we used to think--so in a sunny climate, 10 to 15 minutes of sun exposure a few times a week is enough to get the Vit D. Also take D3 supplements.

Otherwise, esp. if you are fair-skinned, use sunblock of spf 30 or more and reapply it generously if in the sun over an hour, or swimming, etc.

There is NO doubt that cumulative sun exposure (listen, those of you who say you tan gradually so you don't get burned) greatly increases the risk of precancers, basal cell, and squamous cell skin cancers.

Melanoma is a little more difficult to pin down, but there is no doubt that repeated sunBURNS, esp. at a young age, increase the risk. Repeated tanning bed use has been shown to increase risk of melanoma by 50 to 100 % in young women. Also, melanoma risks are higher in those with red or blond hair, blue eyes and fair skin. If you have an immediate family member with melanoma, the risk goes up further.

And let me add, lifetime risk of melanoma in the U.S. has gone from 1 in 1500 in the 1930's to about 1 in 65 currently. It is no longer rare.

A few comments on this:

1. The 10-15 min. suggested applies only to fair-skinned people, so let's make sure people understand that. Black people need far more sun for the same benefit. Many black Americans are vit.D deficient b/c dermatology recommendations don't specify that skin tone is very relevant. Black people are putting on sunscreen and not able to produce enough vit. D. Very dark Africans need up to 3 hours/day which works out as they get that in Africa...it's harder for a very dark African living in Milwaukee...

2. No one is suggesting burning repeatedly is a good thing. If you are in a situation where you're going to burn, then yes, sunscreen would be appropriate (you're heading out to a boat for the day; you're going to be skiing in high altitude in the sun, etc).

3. I 100% disagree with the suggestion to slather on sunscreen and repeat regularly. Over and over the medical community has had to retract ideas they were SURE about. There is no way to logically (in my opinion) think that it is OK to slather chemicals on your skin over and over without negative consequences.

4. Yes, too much sun is not good. Wear a sunshirt, wear a hat, avoid the sun midday. These are precautions people used to take when they worked out in the fields all day. They rested in shade midday, they wore bonnets and hats and long-sleeved shirts. We, on the other hand, strip down to swimsuits and spend all day in the sun, slather on chemicals, and then blame ozone. I'm not saying ozone isn't a contributing factor, but sunscreen is not the solution. It will open up a myriad of other issues.

No offense to dermatologists or other "experts" but new information/knowledge of this nature often comes from outside the field as most drs just accept what they've been taught and don't question it.

Remember, there was a time not long ago when those who ate organic food were looked at as though they were completely insane by "mainstream" society...now we all accept the chemicals on food are not good for us (but apparently chemicals all over our skin are just fine?!?!)

Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that the ultraviolet rays from the sun are carcinogenic--and we know that for a fact. If you are that worried about the chemicals, get a sunblock that is labeled "chemical free" and/or has the only active ingredient being titanium or zinc.
That's where we disagree. I have done a lot of research and I do not believe the sun is carcinogenic when "used" in moderation. Sun shirts, hats, avoiding peak sun time is adequate. I am careful about these things and still do tons of outdoor activities.

Sunscreen is not necessary when proper precautions are taken. It is a health hazard, I believe, when used regularly.

Feel free to quote me on this in 10 years when it all comes out....

Old 06-27-2008, 08:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I thought i was the only person (besides Cleopatra...lol...) to rub Olive Oil all over my skin especially when i go out in the Sun.
I know olive oil is good for our skin but is it good as an oil that protects from the sun?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Quote:

I'm fairskinned, red hair and have had a skin cancer removed a couple years ago. I seldom use sunscreen unless I'm out in the sun for long periods of time which isn't that often but are you saying that unless people like me are out in the sun less than an hour that we don't need sunscreen? I'm usually careful but I have pink tinted skin after being in the sun for a little while but I seldom burn anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness