Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
khp khp started this thread

40 posts, read 1,084,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
No doctor I know wants to do a rectal exam because we somehow derive any kind of pleasure doing it. Believe me, most doctors would rather not do it. But standard of care (and threat of litigation on those who deviate from this standard) dictates that thoroughness be part of the physical exam.
I was not suggesting that doctors derive pleasure from it, but why do you believe it is necessary if the extremely reliable sources that I posted earlier all suggest against it?

Old 07-26-2008, 08:56 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,795 times
Quote:
I was not suggesting that doctors derive pleasure from it, but why do you believe it is necessary if the extremely reliable sources that I posted earlier all suggest against it?
Because most doctors are anal (excuse the pun) and want to be as thorough as possible, as they were taught to do in med school.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Because most doctors are anal (excuse the pun) and want to be as thorough as possible, as they were taught to do in med school.
Even at the expense of a patient's mental/emotional (and I suppose physical) comfort?

I would be more likely to sue if I felt I were aggressively persuaded into this exam than if I found out I had cancer from a doctor not performing an exam that has a very, very minimal chance of detecting anything.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Also, "as thorough as possible" nearly knows no bounds. Why don't they suggest full blood panels, including screening for all types of detectable cancers-- every year? I feel that the answer is "because that's not necessary" in an asymptomatic individual and the chance of that individual having cancer is too slim to require such a work-up. Well, I believe that the level of necessity for that is about the same as a DRE.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Even at the expense of a patient's mental/emotional (and I suppose physical) comfort?

I would be more likely to sue if I felt I were aggressively persuaded into this exam than if I found out I had cancer from a doctor not performing an exam that has a very, very minimal chance of detecting anything.
You don't have to undergo a test you don't agree with. There's no such thing as being "aggressively persuaded" into doing a test. It's like saying you were "aggressively persuaded" into becoming a slave. You either agree to have it or you don't. Besides, there is nothing in it for the doctor if he/she did a rectal exam on you. He won't make any more money doing it.

I'm not sure what the point of your thread is. Are you trying to launch a crusade to ban rectal exams?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 AM

If you read posts on other sites, many women do feel they were "aggressively persuaded," almost forced. I believe many women who do not want this procedure have a fear of speaking up because they are not medical professionals themselves and have not done research on the topic. Therefore, they regretfully allow their doctors to perform a procedure that they are not at all comfortable with and go home feeling violated and upset. Technically, this is not the doctor's fault, but do doctor's really not know when a patient is okay with a procedure after discussion versus simply afraid to say no?

Also, I am not launching a crusade against rectal exams. That is ridiculous and insulting. I started the thread because I was confused by my friend's experience, wary about my own, and just wanting to hear others' points of view.

Some of the responses presented interesting information that I wanted to explore through further discussion.

I am not arguing for argument's sake. I am discussing and clearly stating my opinion because I want to firmly resolve the matter in my mind after weighing others' opinions and research. I am certainly not trying to offend anyone, and I apologize if my arguments and counterarguments have done so.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
You don't have to undergo a test you don't agree with. There's no such thing as being "aggressively persuaded" into doing a test. It's like saying you were "aggressively persuaded" into becoming a slave. You either agree to have it or you don't. Besides, there is nothing in it for the doctor if he/she did a rectal exam on you. He won't make any more money doing it.

I'm not sure what the point of your thread is. Are you trying to launch a crusade to ban rectal exams?
This will be my last post on this thread. It's about time I enjoyed my vacation...

Old 07-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
If you read posts on other sites, many women do feel they were "aggressively persuaded," almost forced.
Yeah, there must be a massive conspiracy out there among doctors to do a rectal exam on you. I suggest you sue them.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khp View Post
If you read posts on other sites, many women do feel they were "aggressively persuaded," almost forced. I believe many women who do not want this procedure have a fear of speaking up because they are not medical professionals themselves and have not done research on the topic. Therefore, they regretfully allow their doctors to perform a procedure that they are not at all comfortable with and go home feeling violated and upset. Technically, this is not the doctor's fault, but do doctor's really not know when a patient is okay with a procedure after discussion versus simply afraid to say no?
I do remember the first time I had the rectal exam done. I was 22, and with a new gyn (female) for my annual. This was the first time I had ever had a rectal exam as part of my annual gyn exam, though I knew of the procedure.

Anyhow, the gyn did not inform me that it was going to be done, and I was completely surprised by it. It happened so quickly and was over with so quickly that I think I was just completely taken aback by it and I didn't say anything. I didn't have a problem with it, though--I guess I just wished at the time that the gyn had informed me, at least, that it was about to happen. Since then, all my gyns have informed me that it was about to happen, and one male gyn asked me if I wanted it done, which I did agree to.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:14 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,791 times
"Yeah, there must be a massive conspiracy out there among doctors to do a rectal exam on you. I suggest you sue them."

I can't help it..........ROTFL

I never heard tell of some one so adamant against a rectal during a GYN exam. It's not like they are gonna stick a speculum up your rear end! and once a year at most?
Hey for a what, 10 second quickie check, that could mean early detection of a problem?? I said poke away LOL, you're already down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.