Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

10 weeks almost!

That was too funny Alice about being dizzy "and not in a good way".

Thanks, Blondie.

I have noticed that the chantix also sort of dulls alcohol. I am only taking the night dose - I had oral surgery and they had to give me extra laughing gas - I think the chantix dulled that too...

Was off the chantix 5-6 days after the surgery. Just after, I drank some wine and passed the test. But I am back on it with a little trepidation about stopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM

another month...went off the chantix several weeks ago. Survived a reunion weekend full of partying and no real desire to smoke! Am I cured?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:25 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
My quit date was Sept 26th, 2008. I was told that I had to quit smoking or the doctor wouldn't fix my knee and I would be in a leg brace and on crutches for the rest of my life and since I'm only 28, my leg won the debate. I used the Chantix. It's now been 2 weeks and I haven't had any cravings for awhile and I'm only taking the Chantix every other night. The only side effect from the Chantix was the unusual dreams (not a big deal since I have strange and unusually vivid dreams all the time anyway. Heck I can't even tell you for sure if it was the medicine or just normal for me, although I was having them with greater frequency than usual. ) I am getting the fatigue from nicotine withdrawals, and I was kinda b$%#@^ the first few days.

My husband is a smoker still and it doesn't seem to make it any harder. Of course he's being supportive and won't smoke around me at all, so that's very helpful.

I have Xrays and a blood test on November 12th and hopefully I won't need surgery, but if I do then I've already been a nonsmoker for the required 6 weeks so I won't have to wait long for surgery (if the doctor isn't overbooked ).

The hardest part for me was 1) I didn't really want to quit and 2) Almost everyone is told hey if you mess up and have a smoke it's ok, just get back on the bus. While if I mess up it's sorry we can't fix your knee because you had nicotine in your blood. That kinda adds a whole new stress factor into it.

Anyway good luck on your quest and hope that you will not give up the journey if you truly want to make it.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:21 PM

211 posts, read 544,674 times
Hi Kittywoman
I am in my 11 day of not smoking and I have been using the commit lozengers and they are working for me. I have tried many times to quit but always went back to smoking but this time I really wanted to quit. I was tired of the smell, the taste in my mouth and just not having any control over
something that was really bad for me.
The truth is you really have to be ready to quit and then you will do it with what ever method you choose. I couldnt afford the Chantix pill it is 400 dollars and I dont have it . so its working for me so far, not easy but Im sticking with it and dont want to smoke anymore.
Good luck, if you need some support , email me and we can talk. copperpennie2003@msn.com
or copper_pennie2002@yahoo.com, would be glad to help you.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:06 PM

My Dr. gave me a congratulatory handshake today - molochai - he said it's like heroin, don't even think of having one! Good luck.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Default Need help quitting smoking.

I think I've posted about this two or three times now, but hey quitting is no easy task.

Now, I am not a heavy smoker at all. I usually have 4 cigarettes a day at most. I've tried quitting many times (been smoking for about a year now) but I always end up cracking within a couple weeks. I'll be fine and then before I know it I'm stressed out or feeling very down and I buy a pack to... well to fix that up I suppose. Then I keep smoking for a period of time before I decide to quit again, and the cycle starts up again.

It'd be a lot easier for me to stay quit if I could just pause life for a while. But unfortunately I can't. Life is full of stressors and it seems that once I started smoking to relieve some of that stress, I can't stop doing it.

Any advice from folks who've faced the same thing? I try to keep a positive attitude but I always end up breaking under enough pressure from the negative forces in my life.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 AM

373 posts, read 589,655 times
If you are indeed smoking only 4 ciggies a day, forget it. Enjoy yourself. Very unlikely to gain anything by quitting....except periodically rattled nerves.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:40 AM

373 posts, read 589,655 times
I quit with Chantix. It was the only thing that worked for me. I am a born congenital nicotine addict. I'd a sold my mother for a carton of ciggies. People like that can often never really quit.

There is a problem with Chantix - the side effects. In my case it was nausea and wild dreams that messed up my sleep. HOWEVER - i figured out a way to get past that. I only took it with a meal, never took it less then 5 hours before I planned to go to sleep. The side effects greatly decreased and made the stuff quite tolerable. After about a week or so, I'd get a hankering for a sparky in the morning with my coffee, light one up, and just let it burn itself out.

In addition, I only took the stuff for about 3 weeks and discovered that the non-smoking effects of this drug persisted for a long time....like for 2 months after I quit the Chantix, I'd light up a ciggie and put it down and forget about it. I had ciggies in the drawer but almost never cared to pick one up. That wore off after about 2 or 3 months so I went back on the stuff, took if for about 3 or 4 wks and eventually never went back to smoking...with no feeling of "punishment" (deprivation) whatsoever.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:52 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
I don't think 4 cigs a day is worth worrying about either. If you really want to give it up get yourself an ecig. A gas station cig-a-like would probably suit you just fine. That way you get the nicotine you want (crave?) without all the other bad side effects. I think you mentioned in another thread that you think they've changed the formula of cigs. Yes, they did prior to or in 2010. And they did it several times since I started smoking in 1973. The latest addition was to create a "fire safe" cigarette that when not sucked on after a short period, extinguishes itself. Problem is, that added more chemicals and those chemicals have had a negative effect on most that smoke them. That change is what sent me looking for a safer alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness