Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:07 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times

Advertisements

Yes, strokes do run in my family. It also comes and goes.
I don`t use it any more really, than I do any other part, although..I started a new job recently as a CNA. My husband said that I complained about this tingling before I started though, so I dunno.
I don`t know if this means anything, but it seems that when my hand is like on the mouse key, or down, its worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
I have had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands (which is compression of the median nerve) and cubital tunnel syndrome (which is compression of the ulnar nerve.)

With carpal tunnel, you get tingling in your thumb, pointer finger, middle finger and half of your ring finger as well as your palm. YOu can get pain radiating up your arms. It often happens at night because bending your wrists is very common at night at that will cause the tingling. To test for this problem, try putting the back of your hands together with your fingers dangling down and your wrists fully bent. If within a minute your fingers start to tingle, this is probably carpal tunnel. I've had surgery on both hands due to carpal tunnel. I had problems when I slept, when I talked on the phone, when I used the computer a lot (it first started when I was writing my thesis in graduate school,) when I drove and when I basically did anything with my hands. It was AWFUL!!!

With cubital tunnel syndrome, you get tingling in the other half of your ring finger (the side closest to your pinky) and your pinky. That's what robhu in post #9 is describing. Carpal tunnel doesn't affect the pinky at all, but cubital tunnel syndrome does (at least that's what I experienced and what the medical websites I've visited describe.) I also get numbness and tingling in the side of my palm closest to my pinky as well as pain in my elbow. This syndrome is a compression of the ulnar nerve as it passes through the elbow. It also happens a lot at night. I havne't had anything done about these problems, but I have it in both arms.

As an interesting aside, I've recently learned that these problems are sometimes exacerbated by large breasts (which I have, unfortunately.)

The definitive test to see if you have compression in either the median nerve or ulnar nerve is a nerve conduction study. They pass electrical currents on those nerves in your elbow and wrist and see how quickly the impulse travels to your fingers. Delayed reaction means you have had some damage to the nerve. It was after having the test done that I was convinced to have my left carpal tunnel operated on (I was bordering on permanent damage because I let it go almost 15 years - had my right hand done after I'd had it for about 2 years.) The surgery is simple for carpal tunnel, but not so simple for cubital tunnel.

There are LOTS of other things the tingling could be and only a doctor can really tell you what's going on. If you do the test yourself that I described above for carpal tunnel and that's what you have, you can attempt to treat it on your own. Sometimes adjusting the way you do things will stop the symptoms if you catch them early and you stop what it is that causes the symptoms. Also, wearing a splint at night to keep your wrists unbent really helps (if it's happening at night.)

FInally, if you're in the Baltimore area, I have the most wonderful hand surgeon. I'd get more surgery just to go see him again .

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by cmacf1; 07-30-2008 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: It's mediaN nerve, not mediaL nerve!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Yes, strokes do run in my family. It also comes and goes.
I don`t use it any more really, than I do any other part, although..I started a new job recently as a CNA. My husband said that I complained about this tingling before I started though, so I dunno.
I don`t know if this means anything, but it seems that when my hand is like on the mouse key, or down, its worse.
Oh I just read this. This does sound like carpal tunnel. The symptoms get worse if you're bending your hand down. What is a CNA? Does that require lots of computer work? If you've just increased your amount of time on the computer, your hands and wrists may not be happy. REpetitive stress injuries are SO common. please read my previous post to see a quick test you can do on your own to test for carpal tunnel.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,893 times
Are you currently taking any medications?

Certain medications can cause peripheral neuropathy.

Other symptoms of peripheral neuropathy include weakness, pain in the arms, hands, legs and/or feet, and abnormal sensations such as burning, tickling, pricking or tingling, also known as paresthesia.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
CNA is a certified nursing assistant.
Thanks for the advice. This will definetly give me heads up on this situation.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Might want to have a neurologist do a full checkup. He/She may do nerve tests like the EMG and NCV procedures.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 10,441 times
Quote:
I am having a tingling feeling in my hand. Any suggestions on what it could possibly be? I was thinking a pinched nerve?
Check for a pinched nerve in your back. It may sound ridiculous, but take stretching exercises!
That helped me!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 AM

107 posts, read 558,909 times
Quote:
I am having a tingling feeling in my hand. Any suggestions on what it could possibly be? I was thinking a pinched nerve?
Con you locate the area with tingling more precisely? Only one hand? Only the hand or also the fingers or wrist or forearm? If fingers, which ones: the pinky and ring, or the thumb, index and middle?

Are you leaning on your elbows a lot (desk work)? Lifting heavy objects? Overuse of wrists?

Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehealthguy View Post
Con you locate the area with tingling more precisely? Only one hand? Only the hand or also the fingers or wrist or forearm? If fingers, which ones: the pinky and ring, or the thumb, index and middle?

Are you leaning on your elbows a lot (desk work)? Lifting heavy objects? Overuse of wrists?
Its a 6 year old thread, don't expect a response

Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Its a 6 year old thread, don't expect a response
thanks for reminding us to pay more attention to the dates of threads. Still, this might be helpful to others, but yes, you are right. I try to watch but sometimes I just don't pay enough attention and this is what we get...wonder if OP ever solved the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness