Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:38 AM

193 posts, read 842,796 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know....what are all the vaccines that we need to get again as adults? I know some of the childood vaccines we get do not give lifelong immunity. I am not sure which ones though. I am going in for physical next week, and am wanting to get up to date on all my shots along with the physical, so I only have to pay one copay. Anyways, any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 11:50 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Tetnus, and if you work with children, there is a special tetnus vaccine.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 PM

113 posts, read 278,189 times
Just tetanus unless you plan on travelling, then you should check with your practice nurse.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,462 times
Default Vaccines

If you are 60 or older, you should get the Shingles Vaccine for sure. Some recommend also a Whooping Cough booster which is making a comeback. But Shingles for certain.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,024 times
Adults should get no vaccines. Children should not get vaccines. Do not believe the Big Pharma hype!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Adults should get no vaccines. Children should not get vaccines. Do not believe the Big Pharma hype!
Yay, rampant spread of deadly diseases for everyone! Hurray!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:36 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
Actually, if you look at the data, the smallpox and polio diseases were declining before the vaccines were introduced. So while vaccines probably sped up the process, and undoubtedly saved many lives during that time, it's doubtful that they'd be running rampant today if it were not for the vaccines.

Tetanus is not a contagious disease, so someone not getting their tetanus shot is not going to allow disease to run rampant.

Shingles is also not a contagious disease in the normal sense... once you have chickenpox (or get the varicella vaccine), you have the virus living in your body, ready to be awakened at any time. So again, people not getting their shingles vaccine is not going to allow disease to run rampant.

By getting the vaccines, you may or may not be actually preventing disease (they're not as effective as your doctor might lead you to believe), and you may or may not be putting yourself at risk for other illnesses (they are also not as safe as your doctor might lead you to believe). I don't think scare tactics on either end do anything more than make the opposing side roll their eyes, though. Most likely, you are not going to drop dead from pertussis or measles or tetanus, and most likely you are not going to drop dead from the pertussis or measles or tetanus vaccines. It's kind of an iffy proposition no matter which way you go.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,999 times
You know what we call unvaccinated people? Vectors! :P

Thank you, but I WILL be getting typhoid, HepA and HepB vaccines before I travel to South America and Asia next year. And *gasp* I'll also have malaria preventative! Oh, I'm so brainwashed. Woe is me.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:09 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,258 times
Keep this thread on the subject..."which vaccines do adults need to get" or it will be closed.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Way to live up to your name...

Outside of better nutrition and separation of waste and fresh water streams the biggest single reason for improved quality of life and increased longevity is likely vaccines...

I suppose you would rather return to the days of polio, smallpox, diptheria, tetanus etc ???

One of the reasons whooping cough is making a comeback is due to the lack of up to date vaccinations in the population...

Oh, and btw, pharmaceutical companies DO NOT make a killing off of vaccines, they are basically dirt cheap, generic and obviously, if effective, not used on a regular basis by anyone....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness