Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 07:52 AM

6 posts, read 899,247 times

Advertisements

My 10 year old daughter has a very hard marble size lump behind her ear. We went to the ENT and he thought it was a cyst, but ordered an ultrasound to be sure. The ultrasound tech said it was not a cyst, but a lymph node. It does not hurt her and is very hard which I have heard are not always a good thing. Has anyone else had issues like this? We are waiting to hear back from the ENT this week.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I've had 2 marble sized lymph nodes, one in my cheek and one in my neck for years. The neck one dissappeared (tissue shrank), but the cheek one has been there for years and I mean years. Nothing to worry about unless other symptoms develop. Has she had a recent cold, ear infection, allergy or something similiar?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I've had 2 marble sized lymph nodes, one in my cheek and one in my neck for years. The neck one dissappeared (tissue shrank), but the cheek one has been there for years and I mean years. Nothing to worry about unless other symptoms develop. Has she had a recent cold, ear infection, allergy or something similiar?
No she hasn't had a cold or anything...She had a pea size lump for a while, but now it is large...

Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Enlarged lymph nodes can appear around the ears, in the scalp and on the back of the deck for various reasons. I was told that even sinus problems can cause them, a samll cut or even a pimple in the scalp. Whenever the body is fighting some sort of bacteria. they can appear.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 PM

Just got a message from the ENT who said it was Benign...Not sure exactly what that means. He is going to call back later. Should I seek a second opinion?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:49 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I would keep an eye on it..But mine swell up from allergies all the time. When I had mono they got really big. Benign means harmless.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreeangels View Post
My 10 year old daughter has a very hard marble size lump behind her ear. We went to the ENT and he thought it was a cyst, but ordered an ultrasound to be sure. The ultrasound tech said it was not a cyst, but a lymph node. It does not hurt her and is very hard which I have heard are not always a good thing. Has anyone else had issues like this? We are waiting to hear back from the ENT this week.
Usually the lymph node is sore when there is an infection. When I was young, I had mono and would get swollen lymph nodes popping up everywhere, particularly around my ears. Sometimes my entire ear would get hot and red and swell up. I would get lumps on my back. Those did not hurt but they would swell and go away. It was a mystery for a long time.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Hi, there,
I was really frustrated after talking with the ENT yesterday. He was saying that it "appeared" to be benign. Then he said we could do antibiotics and blood work, but then later in the conversation he said they wouldn't be necessary. I asked him how he could tell from an ultrasound if something was benign. He gave me some technical answer. I told him it would be nice to find out for sure if it was benign or not, and he said the only way would be surgery, but since it didn't look like it was malignant he didn't want to take the risk of surgery. I was just very shocked that he would not want to do bloodwork on a 10 year old girl with a solid lymph node mass behind her ear that doesn't hurt. Anyway, called Pediatrician today, and he felt as though we should still do bloodwork to get a look at the white blood cells and the lymphocytes. He said to make sure we aren't dealing with lymphoma or leukemia. He said he would want bloodwork if it was his child. I really appreciated that approach over just wait and see. Just a note...I have a brother who died from leukemia

Old 10-19-2008, 10:12 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
Get some iodine from a pharmacy and try it topically on the lymph node. It is supposed to help shrink an enlarged node. It is a old wives' tale and I can't say if it will work for sure but it can't hurt.

It is good you are following up with a doctor.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 PM

317 posts, read 1,750,753 times
mythreeangels- Its good you called the pediatrician and they are following up more. I am sorry to hear you lost a brother. I hope everything works out well with your daughter. Hopefully it is only swollen for a minor reason, like allergies, past infection, virus, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness